Push Pong

Discuss Push with other users.
TomViolenz

Re: Push Pong

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 pm

tedlogan wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Could you post a link to the device, I think I would like to try it out :-)
http://marktowers.net/2014/08/20/push-pong/

Mark Towers

Post by Mark Towers » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 pm

@ tedlogan thanks for trying it out, interesting about the deleting Push Pong, I have made it so that when turning the device off, normal Push operation is resumed, but if deleting the device whilst it is still turned on, it would be a little odd, and not resume normal behaviour, I tried it on lots of systems, I am however happy it's working correctly for you. Out of interest are you on Mac or WIndows?

Thanks again, really appreciate feedback and info on what people are doing with it.

:D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Just from the first impression a few thoughts:

Could it be somehow possible to have the touch of the encoder turn on the cell?! Somehow an encoder is wasted on just on/off, and actually slower than just to tap the encoder. In this case the turn of the encoder could be used for velocity for example.

Second: It would be good to arrange the banked pages so, that they alsways correspond to the 8 cells in the right order. In the later pages this gets mixed around somewhat.
Also it's better to actualy name the banks, so that hunting for the correct parameters is not guess/or memory work.

Otherwise nice idea :-)

(I'm not into generative music, so I will probably only play with it on a rare occasion though)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Mark Towers wrote:@ tedlogan thanks for trying it out, interesting about the deleting Push Pong, I have made it so that when turning the device off, normal Push operation is resumed, but if deleting the device whilst it is still turned on, it would be a little odd, and not resume normal behaviour, I tried it on lots of systems, I am however happy it's working correctly for you. Out of interest are you on Mac or WIndows?

Thanks again, really appreciate feedback and info on what people are doing with it.

:D
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, Live 9.1.4. But it does act like you describe above actually. When the device is turned on/off, all is fine. Things can go a bit wonky when deleting Pong, but not always. I dunno how it didn't freeze out normal operation of Push the first time.

Anyway - cheers - gonna go throw some Zebra patches at it and see what comes out the other side :D

Mark Towers

Post by Mark Towers » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:50 am

@TomViolenz some nice ideas, I will work on some for the update, not sure about the touch encoder to turn cells on/off purely because of how I always accidentally touch encoders when using Push (maybe it's just me) which would generate a new cells, so as a safety precaution for live use I went with the half-turn approach, I will give it a try though and see how it feels.

Another update someone mentioned was another randomise button that randomises all cell parameters, time, velocity, length, chance etc.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:23 pm

has crashed Live once in the first half hour, but is otherwise a really well thought out device. is capable of some quite nuanced patterns. mesmerising.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

still really enjoying it, however it has now crashed Live about 6 times over the past couple of days (OS X 10.9.4, Live 9.1.4, Max 6.1.8)...