NI Komplete Kontrol

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: NI Komplete Kontrol

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 pm

login wrote:The performance features (scales, chord, arp) doesnt work with third party instruments, only inside komplete.

The cdm review is quite honest and overall quite dissapointing. Push is way better deal for the price.
Good review.
Here's the link for peeps.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/09/e ... more-34598

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm

beats me wrote:I’m curious to see what the pricing will be for upgrades. I’m sure many like myself at this point have Komplete or Komplete Ultimate and go for the stupid cheap Christmas 50% off discount that NI might feel they are losing too much money on at this point if too many people are jumping on it.
Upgrades without controller, same as always, with, no discount from buying separately as of now.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Native-Inst ... 3892445.gc

Compare that to buying each at Sweetwater:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... &Go=Search

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm

You also get a power adapter, because the S-Series requires external power.
Seriously? Unbelievable...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m curious to see what the pricing will be for upgrades. I’m sure many like myself at this point have Komplete or Komplete Ultimate and go for the stupid cheap Christmas 50% off discount that NI might feel they are losing too much money on at this point if too many people are jumping on it.
Upgrades without controller, same as always, with, no discount from buying separately as of now.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Native-Inst ... 3892445.gc

Compare that to buying each at Sweetwater:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... &Go=Search

Hm. Looks like the Ultimate to Ultimate upgrade is $400..sooooo $200 around Christmas. None of the newer Heavocity libraries included :x but there’s some other instruments/libraries in there that might make the $200 upgrade a no brainer.

Syver

Post by Syver » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 am

After seeing all the videos and reading all the articles today, I have an Akai Max 49 for sale if anyone's interested ... :-)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 am

Pretty lights.

Should have called it XMST.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:16 pm

I didn’t see anything on it but I think the lights above the keys would be great for a step sequencer. On the longer range keyboards the bottom range would be used to select the sample and then the lights above that would move above the rest of the keys with the sequence and stay lit when there is a note on that step. Maybe the quarter note would be a different color so they standout. 8O

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 pm

These keyboards are so boring, nothing really new coming with them. They cost way to much for what they can do. I dont expect them to read third party plugins. The disco lights on the keys, who needs that stuff?
I am a big fan of Maschine and Traktor Scratch but these keyboards are not of much use unless you only use NI stuff...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Yep, not really useful with third party stuff, and no aftertouch. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:28 pm

If you are already invested in Komplete (need at least version 9 for the keyboard to work with everything) then I think the keyboard makes a lot of sense. And really if you have Komplete, do you really NEED anything else? But if you already have Komplete then odds are you already invested in a quality keyboard and don’t need another one.

On my end I thought I would use the controls on keyboards or controllers for the mixing end of things but in practice I really don’t. I think I would get a lot more use out of controls that map to plug-in parameters, at least more use than faders that only have access to 8 faders at a time.

login

Post by login » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:49 pm

I would like something like this:

by the way, if you thouight Push wasn't friendly with vsts and third party stuff, these komplete controllers:

1.- You need to look at the screen to browse
2.- The performance features (chord, arp and scales) dont work outside of komplete.
3.- They don't work with individual Ni instruments, you need komplete.
4.- Obviously you can't use performance features with hardware.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:24 pm

beats me wrote:If you are already invested in Komplete (need at least version 9 for the keyboard to work with everything) then I think the keyboard makes a lot of sense. And really if you have Komplete, do you really NEED anything else? But if you already have Komplete then odds are you already invested in a quality keyboard and don’t need another one.

On my end I thought I would use the controls on keyboards or controllers for the mixing end of things but in practice I really don’t. I think I would get a lot more use out of controls that map to plug-in parameters, at least more use than faders that only have access to 8 faders at a time.
Well as someone who really liked Kore, I'm not willing to invest in any more of NI's proprietary mapping and sorting ideas, especially when they're looking like they're doing two at the moment that aren't 100% integrated. Maschine does a lot of the same things as Komplete Control, but does't requiter the software. So at this point I would say it's likely that you buy a keyboard for the mapping in Komplete 9 and 10, and by 11 that software is abandoned.

As far as mapping goes, Kore did that too, and it's useful, but in the end I only use a knob or two. The plug ins I end up using more than a couple knobs on are regular FX plug ins, (EQ's etc.)and most of those for me are not in Komplete. The lack of aftertouch is annoying, and the fact that it only is truly useful with Komplete plug ins is also annoying.
I've used Komplete since 2, own Rig Kontrol and a Kore 1 controller (still is a good two in four out audio card). But owning a Novation Remote SL I can't think of a single reason to get the new keyboards? In a lot of ways the AKAI is a better choice, aftertouch, drum pads etc. Also Behringer of all companies just released a keyboard with motorized faders for about half the price. Yeah it's Behringer, but that's 100% what I wanted 6 years ago, endless encoders, drum pads, and motorized faders in one device.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Another upsetting thing is that because they discontinued Kore and the subsequent backlash, they probably won’t release a new piece of hardware that a lot more people would be interested in, a controller sans the keyboard or drum pads (saving redundancy, space, and money), just instant mapped control of the parameters which would essentially be…Kore. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:15 am

beats me wrote:Another upsetting thing is that because they discontinued Kore and the subsequent backlash, they probably won’t release a new piece of hardware that a lot more people would be interested in, a controller sans the keyboard or drum pads (saving redundancy, space, and money), just instant mapped control of the parameters which would essentially be…Kore. :x
Yeah they handled the whole thing terribly. Just when I thought they had really sorted out their PR.
What I would have done if I was in charge of NI is to openly talk about how Kore was going to be replaced with software in the future that will be far less ambitious and easier to maintain, then offer a discount to Kore users who switch. As it stands you have to look at this from the perspective of how long will this be supported? Anyway 8 knobs is the standard and it just isn't that hard to map it out, plus in Live anyway, you end up wanting to use some of those for things outside Automap or Komplete Control. I would bet it's the same as Automap in that you will have to switch to "MIDI" and hand assign knobs to FX and Live bits if you want to use the knobs for more than just a synth. Plus, my other DAW DP8 is not supported by the software... bleh!

Anyway, it's all good, I look forward to hearing what people think of the whole set up, and look forward to not having to spend money on Komplete 10, I like skipping upgrades. Went from 6 to 9 last time, makes it worth it. 8)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 am

Machinesworking wrote:Yep, not really useful with third party stuff, and no aftertouch. :x