pitch control and other clip things in v.2

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dirtystudios

pitch control and other clip things in v.2

Post by dirtystudios » Mon May 19, 2003 4:50 pm

so, i've discovered that some of my favorite aspects of live are now nonexistant in version 2. mainly having to do with clip parameters and adjusting them in realtime while the clip is playing. for instance, it seems i can no longer play glitchy pitch changes by adjusting a clip's pitch knob. it seems that all pitch changes are quantized to change every two measures instead of right away. the same goes for the playback offset marker. in v.1.5, if you moved the offset marker around while a clip was playing, you'd get funky breaks and variations of the clip that always played back on beat. now if i change the offset marker, it seems to follow the two measure rule. perhaps there is something i'm missing, i've tried changing warp parameters to no avail. ableton, i miss this aspect of live. maybe you could bring it back in the next version. it's things like this that makes live great and though i realize that this quantizing might be good in some instances where you don't need to get terribly creative with your loops, but i think "fixing" things like this kinds takes some of the fun and uniqueness out of live.

unless of course i'm totally overlooking something.

k

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon May 19, 2003 7:43 pm

I might be stating things you've already tried, but go to preferences>misc. and set clip update rate to 1/32. Then go to preferences>default and for clips have "tigger" then "auto" then "global" for the first three options. These are my settings in 2.0.3 and as soon as i move a warp marker, or transpose or detune a clip i hear everything happening in real time. Actually, i got to thank you for bringing up your question, as I haven't really messed with that before, but just doing a test now on a hi hat track sounded badass messing with the transposition.

Ryan

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue May 20, 2003 12:39 am

i did in fact overlook that. it works fine now. much apreciated quandry, and my appoligies to ableton for assuming the worst.

k