Upcoming New Aphex Twin Album - SYRO

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

My reaction to Aphex Twins new album:

Wow: Where, when, who, why....I WANT IT NOW
13%
Let's see, I think it will be good
25%
Meh, maybe he surprises me this time
31%
Sure, Hipsters like to call this noise music, I'm not a Hipster!
No votes
Meh, nothing beats chips 'n salsa
31%

Total votes: 16

TomViolenz

Upcoming New Aphex Twin Album - SYRO

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 pm

http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-t ... anye-more/

Question: Does anyone here still care?!

While I love his album Collected Ambient Works 2, at least since the whole unimaginative nine album Analord wankery, I seriously soured on him. To the point of being mildly interested, instead of really excited.

What are your thoughts?!

Styles Bitchly

Re: Upcoming New Aphex Twin Album - SYRO

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 pm

TomViolenz wrote:http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-t ... anye-more/

Question: Does anyone here still care?!

While I love his album Collected Ambient Works 2, at least since the whole unimaginative nine album Analord wankery, I seriously soured on him. To the point of being mildly interested, instead of really excited.

What are your thoughts?!
I think 'ol Ricky James knocked one out of the park with Ambient Works II - a true groundbreaker. I was astonished when I first heard Shiny Metal Rods, and to ponder the tools he had at the time to pull off that type of sonic mayhem is really astounding compared to all of the crap we have today - on our laptops to boot. IMO though, everything he's released since has been complete pap (Windowlicker, 26 Mixes for Cash, etc.). I'll pass on this one whilst I await something more deserving of my cash....like next Marky Mark release for example. :)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 am

Well, the screaming silence in this thread, answers my question on how highly anticipated his new album is here :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite track on Ambient works II is Cliffs.
The way he hypnotizes us with just one short snippet of a vocal sample 8O

I had also wondered what kind of hardware samplers he must have used at the time and how to achieve this effect. But even though I would trivially know nowadays how to reproduce that, it's one thing to know the techniques and another to use them so beautifully.

That's actually what I find so confusing about his later works (mostly the Analord stuff). He had proven to have such variability in his sounds with such limited tools and such sensibility in how to apply them. And then he gets years later a huge modular synth with all bells and wistles and then he produces some 30 odd tracks that sound ALL the same. And not just between tracks, but also within a track. There is no varying intensity in these tracks.
It's like he had set up the modular once, had programed some simple patterns on the step sequencer, turned on record and then recorded all 9 albums in one fell swoop by twisting this knob, and then maybe that one, and oh, that one I hadn't turned yet.....
If he had been a no name and had loaded that up on Soundcloud, no one would have noticed him among the usual stuff there. :x

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Hope it literally blows my mind and I collapse dead from it.

/fingers crossed

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

I actually liked Analord :oops:

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:27 am

neverming :lol:

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 am

TomViolenz wrote:Well, the screaming silence in this thread, answers my question on how highly anticipated his new album is here :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite track on Ambient works II is Cliffs.
The way he hypnotizes us with just one short snippet of a vocal sample 8O

I had also wondered what kind of hardware samplers he must have used at the time and how to achieve this effect. But even though I would trivially know nowadays how to reproduce that, it's one thing to know the techniques and another to use them so beautifully.

That's actually what I find so confusing about his later works (mostly the Analord stuff). He had proven to have such variability in his sounds with such limited tools and such sensibility in how to apply them. And then he gets years later a huge modular synth with all bells and wistles and then he produces some 30 odd tracks that sound ALL the same. And not just between tracks, but also within a track. There is no varying intensity in these tracks.
It's like he had set up the modular once, had programed some simple patterns on the step sequencer, turned on record and then recorded all 9 albums in one fell swoop by twisting this knob, and then maybe that one, and oh, that one I hadn't turned yet.....
If he had been a no name and had loaded that up on Soundcloud, no one would have noticed him among the usual stuff there. :x
I recall reading somewhere waaay back in the day that one of the keys to those Ambient Works efforts was James' uncanny ability to cobble together unusual combinations of household items, appliances and other sundry weird shit which could produce tones and sounds which he then sampled. The guy was definitely a master and pioneer at cranking out hypnotic droning soundbeds.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:07 pm

“I’m a serial killer for sounds,” he tells Fader. “I collect sounds from other records so I have to know where they come from and how they’re made. I bought every old sampler in existence and bought all the sample libraries. Like a serial killer, basically. I’ve gone through all of the sounds and worked out where everyone got all their sounds from.”
YOU DON'T HAVE MY WINEGLASS SYNTH, RDJ!!!! :lol:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:57 pm

re:dream wrote:I actually liked Analord :oops:
No reason for shame! :mrgreen:

But, I'd like to know, if you don't care about the things I criticized, or if you think they don't apply.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:00 pm

JoshG567 wrote:
“I’m a serial killer for sounds,” he tells Fader. “I collect sounds from other records so I have to know where they come from and how they’re made. I bought every old sampler in existence and bought all the sample libraries. Like a serial killer, basically. I’ve gone through all of the sounds and worked out where everyone got all their sounds from.”
YOU DON'T HAVE MY WINEGLASS SYNTH, RDJ!!!! :lol:
Wow, that makes it clear! Nowadays every noob who collects any loop and sample collection there is, is just doing what Aphex Twin did 8O
Who knew....?!

But really, what a weird thing to say for him :?

Treshell

Post by Treshell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Very enjoyable, I think

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:03 am

I wasn't expecting much but I also find this to be quite enjoyable.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 am

Still a bit weird for me in places, but definitely some of his most accessible stuff in a long while. I never really got most of his stuff I'll admit, interesting the amount of work that must have went into it, but not my thing. This has me a bit more intrigued though.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:44 am

Treshell wrote:minipops 67 is up on Warp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAJ8KL ... zJJRuuhC_Q
:x
Great anyone, but us in Germany again, can listen to this youtube link :|

Funny, according to the poll so far, you all self identify as hipsters :mrgreen: