Key Scale and Chord Tracks to Improve Composing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
guidewire

Re: Key Scale and Chord Tracks to Improve Composing

Post by guidewire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

yes...
Plus a little better file meta data for saving info like this.

I tend on using markers and clip and file names .. "clip_Cm" & "filename_D" etc.

Helping the artist stay more organized in those areas would be awesome.
-_=-__=-+_--+_+=-_+_+_+_+----_+_+_+_

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Excellent ideas! Accessing individual clips and transposing manually is such an incredible pain in the ass.

enomasable

Post by enomasable » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm

hey man check out the Chord Explorer – Max for Live Plugin, its got alot of rating and i've just installed in live seems to fit with what you're after.
good luck

enomasable

Post by enomasable » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm

oops forgot to include the download link

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... d-explorer

rich garside

Post by rich garside » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:59 pm

At first I thought these were undiscovered features of Ableton lol. Great ideas and very well presented. And to the guys giving him stick find something better to do he's being constructive and conveying his point in a very detailed and thorough manner.

Markus Weldon

Post by Markus Weldon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:39 pm

rich garside wrote:Great ideas and very well presented. And to the guys giving him stick find something better to do he's being constructive and conveying his point in a very detailed and thorough manner.
Seconded,

I pay particular notice to the date and time of the original post, and just hope the Ableton's Product Managers and Dev's are by now fully aware of how useful these additions would be.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:16 am

It would be great to change the whole key of a song with one click. Often I've gotten to the point where's I've found a perfect sound but the highest note sounds a bit off on that instrument, but perfect if the song was two semitones lower. Or to be able to change instantly to fit a singer's range. And some songs just sit right at a different key. A million uses.

Changing the piano roll colouring to alternating black and white lines for drum editing would be great.

Also, it would be great if there was a row of buttons in the midi editor for all sorts of view toggling, e.g. to keep all drums showing, to fill in every other note, to fill in all notes, show/hide volume, randomise, etc. etc. Also the whole area at the bottom half of the screen should be worked on, e.g. put the Clip pane on top of the Notes pane to optimise space or just merge them into the midi editor. The improvements would be about accelerating workflow and optimising space.

nonchai

Post by nonchai » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Bagatell wrote:
shadx312 wrote:I haven't read that yet, but props on the pro presentation.
Don't bother. He thinks he's on the PGMusic forum.
No bad thing. I use both BIAB AND Ableton and wish there was higher integration between the two apps.

I often export tracks, audio and midi from BIAB into Ableton.

I think the Chord track idea is brill.

Musicians tend to think/write in terms of Chords and key changes. Cubase has it now. I’d love more composer/musician friendly high level BIAB stuff in Ableton.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:37 am

Congratulations, but I would like to get piano lessons after reading that.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:40 am

nonchai wrote:
No bad thing. I use both BIAB
OK, but no thank you. Instant Ableton Live Identity killer. Third party support sure. Not a focus point for Ableton.
Make some music!

vondersulzburg

Post by vondersulzburg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Mixcraft 7 at least has now a clip launcher and a rootkey and transpose and tagged lops with autotranspose.

I heard the wigs will iplement this too in there software.

kennethreitz

Post by kennethreitz » Mon May 08, 2017 3:48 pm

+1000

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am

I think as a minimum, they should allow you to swap the compulsory sharps to flats in the midi editor. As it is, working in keys that have flats means you have to do extra thinking converting the scale to a sharps equivalent.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 am

LFO8 wrote: I don't get the allergic reaction often being displayed here when it comes down to anything to do with music theory. It won't hurt you you know. And if you insist on not utilising it then don't. But your music is still explainable in terms of music theory wether you want to or not. Same as the whole world is still there when you close your eyes, whether you want to or not ;)
This reasoning has nothing to do with applying potentially useful tools in the belief that as long as you stay within the scale the track must be "good". Knowing music theory prevent misuse of such tools of course and to some extent makes these unnecessary outside of being a learning aid and automation.

I'd be more open for tools that acknowledge the role "bad" notes can have in musical works. As long as that is built-in I think tools for Chord structuring, Key handling, Scale handling could be very useful.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 11, 2017 11:42 am

Martin Gifford wrote:I think as a minimum, they should allow you to swap the compulsory sharps to flats in the midi editor. As it is, working in keys that have flats means you have to do extra thinking converting the scale to a sharps equivalent.
Yeah.
Make some music!