Idea - DJs - Why don't we share our .asd files?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes please!
55%
No - stop wasting time and get on with Warping your own tracks!
45%

Total votes: 56

keeko

Idea - DJs - Why don't we share our .asd files?

Post by keeko » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:44 pm

With so many of us all DJing (or in my case, preparing my record collection to DJ) with Live it's occurred to me that there must be hundreds of users all round the world, downloading MP3s (from legit sites - of course) and then spending HOURS warping them all. Big name DJ's can get help doing this :( BUT - why don't the rest of us pool our efforts?

Does anyone think there is any legs in setting up a .asd sharing website? I couldn't host it myself but I'm sure someone with some webexpertise could host a small site, with .asd files broken down by label or genre eg House, Trance, Breaks etc.... We'd probably also have to list the original source of the track and the bitrate to ensure we were all talking about the same file.

Perhaps the Abletons would host this for us here - it would be a great bit of PR for them to supply such a useful resource. They could call it the Warp Library or something. :?

It's a shame but I can't think of a way of sharing warp info from tracks ripped from Vinyl/CDs.

Note: I'm NOT talking about sharing the audio-files themselves, JUST the warp data for tracks you already own.

supster

Post by supster » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:02 pm

it sounds great, i really feel ya on this one because im currently warping an entire collection of records and MP3s - im pretty fast with each individual track but its the sheer number that gets tedious ...

only problem i see with this is that there are thousands and thousands of tracks out there, countless almost .. and the asd has to exactly match the file really to be accurate

btw we are supposed to be getting a new Music forum here, dont know when theyre going to get around to it but abes said that they would put one up stricktly dedicated to music, when that goes up its a good place to get something like this going imo
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

inis

Post by inis » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:35 pm

I dont honestly find warping, etc that time consuming. I really dont care to share my efforts in exchange for possibly finding a couple asd files that might save me 20 minutes. Just let people do what they need to do.

Also, there are plenty of dj's that dont use live. I think the possibility of actually finding tracks you are interested in within the live community is pretty slim.

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:30 am

i totally agree with inis.
since live5, warping is very easy to do. i don't need such a sharing anymore.
.::.::..::.:::.:.vandeloow.net.:.:::.:..::.:::::.::..:
..:..::.:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:04 am

I'm amazed how good autowarping can be. I know it's not always perfect, but it is saving me many hours of work chugging through my tracks. And I end up learning a whole lot more about the song, too.

Although in theory it sounds good, in practice the sharing of .asd files wouldn't work. The tracks need to be sample-perfect for them to work, and if you start sending MP3s along with the .asd, you'll have legal issues.

My opinion only, FWIW.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:25 pm

I warp most songs in about 30 seconds... so I don't see the benefit of sharing.

Besides... it would never work anyway... unless everyone was using the SAME audio files, and they were all the exact same length.

I find that I edit every single song I download because they've usualy been mastered for shit... and are set WAY too loud.

In additon, some tracks I have been putting extra silence in the beginning because they didn't leave enough to set an even numbered warp marker before the intro.

So... I don't think the idea could really ever work.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 am

It would be cool if you could walk into any niteclub anywhere in the world
and hear the same garbage being played :-)

Think of it as the McDonalds of music :-)

-Ben

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:58 am

Sharing .asd file would only work if the audio that it relates to is exactly the same. (it doesn't have to be the "same" file, but the content of the file should be the same).

go warp it yourself! In the end, you're the guy playing the tracks. How could you know the tracks if you didn't even spend 30 sec on warping it?

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm

There are now a number of online music sellers offering pre warped tracks for Ableton, so there must be some demand. I think if people were forced to state the track's length (in time) when they upload an ASD, it might work. Presumably other DJing apps like Traktor & Deckadance have similair meta files that could shared?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm

How f*cking lazy can people be?

BDSS

Post by BDSS » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:32 pm

SoulSeek - join/create the Ableton room.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm

It's been tried before on the ALDJ forums, And it didn't work that well at all. It's a great idea, but more often than not the files still need to rewarped.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:41 am

Nice idea, but with many tracks there are so many different version of them around, even a little shaved off the gap silence is going to make a mess.

It could only work I guess by quoting the orignal CD ID numbers (if the source was CD) to ensure that asd file is mapped to exacty the same version.

Anyway - its doesnt take that long to warp a track.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:55 pm

The only possible way (I can think of) of doing this with files of a dubious nature is to include an md5 hash. Otherwise it wouldn't be sample accurate..
Toshiba Satellite M115 (Core Duo 1.60Ghz-1g ram) / MacBook Pro 2Ghz/2g ram

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I agree with Inis. Warping songs isnt that time consuming for me...and if a song does take a long time to warp...that's just my edge over another DJ who is too lazy to do it.

There would be too many difficulties in that type of site. People would warp shit all wrong, or there would be trouble with copyright infringement, and the song database would have to be massive. Plus most ableton users would probably upload loads of trance or house tracks which I'm not interested in.