Preroll in Session View?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Olsa

Preroll in Session View?

Post by Olsa » Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi, I would need help with a vocal loop in the session view.

The vocal starts with some breathing-in right before the beat 1.1.1.

I pulled my loop slightly to the left that it includes the breating - my start marker is at beat 1.1.1 to keep in sync with the rest of the song.

My problem is: with my loop and start marker set as described above, the breathing is cut out and missing. When I set it slightly to the left just before the breathing, it get's out of sync.

Is there maybe a preroll or something for that situation that gives me the possibility to start in time AND hear some pre-defined time before that? Or am I missing something important?

Thanks in advance

posssu

Re: Preroll in Session View?

Post by posssu » Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm

There isn't anything like this currently, but it would be more than welcome...

The way it could work would be for example so that each clip can have a separate preroll-slider. When the user then launches the clip, the preroll starts to play so that it will hit the 1st beat with the other clips. But with a preroll-indicator like this you could make the breathing hear in Session view too.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 am

actually you can set a 'pre-roll per clip, IE you can add time before the sample starts. This was added in Live 8, but you can't 'drag' before 1.1.1, you have to use the little boxes.

go to the section that is titled "start" in the "sample" section and drag the first number /box until it says '-1' , it should read -1.-1.-1
the clip will now start one bar before 1.1.1

this may, or may not be what you were looking for. Anyway, it exists.
you can also add empty time/audio onto the end of a sample the same way

Olsa

Post by Olsa » Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 am

Angstrom, it would also be important, that the clip launches at once when I trigger the scene launch button together with the clips of the other tracks. If that's the case it would be perfect.

Today I have no chance to look at it, but I will look at it tomorrow and try my best :-) Otherwise, for this production of a remix, I record it in from session to arrangement view and adjust it afterwards.

Thanks!

Occupanther

Post by Occupanther » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Olsa, did you get that working? Same problem here...

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Olsa wrote:Angstrom, it would also be important, that the clip launches at once when I trigger the scene launch button together with the clips of the other tracks. If that's the case it would be perfect.

Today I have no chance to look at it, but I will look at it tomorrow and try my best :-) Otherwise, for this production of a remix, I record it in from session to arrangement view and adjust it afterwards.

Thanks!
you need a combination of what angstrom described and a follow action