Apple Watch justification thread

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Apple Watch justification thread

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:46 pm

All the negative comments were EXACTLY along the lines of the 1st iPhone.

:lol:

"Don't need a big screen"
"Touch screen will never work"
"The price is outrageous - no one will buy when a great phone like the Moto Razr is half the price"
"All I need a phone for is MAKING CALLS"

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm

That shit be like = :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm

hmm, I'd say there's a difference. There's no comparison between the iPhone introduction and the Apple watch introduction.
If the iPhone was the Automobile, the Apple Watch is the Sunroof.

The iPhone had some detractors (ie business rivals) but anyone with any sense could see immediately what iPhone V1 really was : if you were already carrying an iPod and a phone, now they were combined & you could carry one less thing. And that was just version 1.

What nobody really foresaw was the impact of the appstore. As soon as that realisation kicked in even the few doubters could see the benefits of carrying your email & addresses, your music, your camera ... AND being able to find what your destination looks like on Google streetview / send a picture of the venue to the rest of the band, access your work documents / see pictures of cats on facebook / etc. etc.

Soon everybody realised the power of having a powerful portable computer with access to all your personal accounts in your pocket at all times.

But to compare that quantum leap to the Apple Watch? Where the iPhone took us from NO connectivity to all-access conectivity to all of our media and networks - the Apple Watch merely gives access to the iPhone which is right there in your pocket. It allows you to, uhm. see what track is playing, and errrr, know what your heartrate is, and uhhh, you can, ummmm.

Consider why Google Glass failed. It's because people already have a phone in their pocket which is actually better than a limited peripheral. They have the super powerful features already, in their phone.

Sure version 2 or 3 of the Apple watch might be a good-ish add-on. But right now, as it stands it's a silly gimmicky peripheral.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Angstrom wrote:What nobody really foresaw was the impact of the appstore. As soon as that realisation kicked in even the few doubters could see the benefits of carrying your email & addresses, your music, your camera ... AND being able to find what your destination looks like on Google streetview / send a picture of the venue to the rest of the band, access your work documents / see pictures of cats on facebook / etc. etc.

Soon everybody realised the power of having a powerful portable computer with access to all your personal accounts in your pocket at all times.

One of the ways Cook is deflecting the belief that the Apple Watch was prematurely announced is he wants third party developers to first have the opportunity to make apps for it. I’m sure he realizes if they just come with Apple’s stock software after about 10 minutes of playing with it people are going to go “OK, but now what?”

But there may be more to it. Have to admit it was a stroke of genius that the original intention of Touch ID was to be used with Apple Pay once it was proven to be solid. Really makes the haters with “NFC now!” demands several years ago seem a little shortsighted with no concern for security, although security has never been on Android users’ top 10 demand list. Not saying it was really on Apple users’ demand list either, but once again Apple shows us something new that now seems like a dead obvious minimum requirement. So who knows what other magic could be awaiting in the Apple Watch...although probably not first gen.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Angstrom wrote: Consider why Google Glass failed. It's because people already have a phone in their pocket which is actually better than a limited peripheral.

That is sooooo not why Google Glass failed.

It's not even in the top 10 reasons.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 pm

You're right. They won't sell at all because they are a peripheral that no one is going to care about.

Jebus.

:x

The first iPhone had 'some' detractors?? :lol: With the exception of Mossberg nearly the entire tech press were up in arms about the thing.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Okay, this is just getting off track here.

Let me clarify and/or simplify:

Apple Watch is cool as shit.

It's going to sell like a motherfucker.

The 2nd version is going to sell even more.

The 3rd version is going to sell even more than that...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 am

I'm only here for the purpose of trying to trick someone into saying ICUP :/

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 am

Oh, it's going to sell. The question is: other than being a hipster with a new toy, what will it actually do for you?

It's none of my business what people want to spend their (or mom and dads) money on, just saying I don't really have the vision the fanboi's seem to have.

Then again, I was wrong about nintendo :lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 am

Apart from the obvious stuff you could find out by doig a little searching, is the watch could be the new phone.
Wireless earbud/mic; dictation and AI; the ever-present phablet screen could take a backseat in 5 years time.
We'll be reminiscing about that minute when everyone was looking at their phones and then barely remember that even happened. Most ppl could end up just looking at a screen at the beginning and end of their day for their what-dids and to-dos, otherwise Siri will be doing most of the work for you, you just answering and asking and the details will be at the screen when you need to look at it. Otherwise the watch is the multi-purpose button for taking care of the now.
i'm wondering how long until it does projection and you can do the typical screen multitouch controlling on whatever surface it's projected on.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 pm

eyeknow wrote:Oh, it's going to sell. The question is: other than being a hipster with a new toy, what will it actually do for you?

This bit made me realize that “hipster” is becoming like “Hitler”. As soon as you insert it into an argument it seriously degrades whatever point(s) you might be trying to make.

I will be monitoring my own similar behavior, unless it’s a subject I really don’t give a shit about. :x

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 pm

beats me wrote:OK, I'll start things off and will admit none of these first things are specific to the Apple Watch.

1. Many times throughout my work day I have to pull out my phone to get the date and time because its something I need to write down. A watch would obviously be better for these situations but not enough to inspire me to buy something that only does that.

2. Long before it became illegal I didn't use my phone in my car while driving because it is dangerous and my social life involves way more texting than phone calls. My phone is always firmly in my pocket on vibrate and I'm so self involved that I believe people contact me while I'm driving just to piss me off. Nothing all day and then soon as I get in my car they start lighting me up. So I'm driving with curiosity at which inconsiderate fuck is trying to get a hold of me knowing I'm driving. It would be nice to just glance over at my wrist firmly on the steering wheel while I flip them off with my other hand.

3. I'm one of the elite 1% who thinks its extremely rude to have your phone out or constantly pulling it out in a social situation, but sometimes you are dealing with a total blowhard and you don't get a break to see who is lighting up your phone while they are yammering on. Again, just glance at your wrist.

4. I use alarms and notications on my phone a lot. It would be great to just look at my wrist instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket or going across the room to see what my phone is nagging me to do.

I wear a Pebble Steel with the steel strap and your use cases above are exactly why I am still using the thing. (Plus, it looks rather nice). It pairs fairly well with my 5s using the low energy bluetooth and gets decent life on a charge.

One point - glancing at your watch (in these pre-apple watch days, before everybodys doin it) signals those around you that you're fixin' to skedaddle. I've had to explain to bandmates and others that no, not leaving; just seeing who texted me...

It will be interesting to see how the health apps fare. Most of the rest looks gimicky to me.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I can see the watch being nifty as something you do not have to touch or look at. As a pleasant feature that just happens to be convenient as it is on your person. And yeah. People will buy it. For many different kinds of reasons.

I shouldn't really compare it at all to a phone. Or a tablet. A watch is pretty much a fashion accessory by default, but there is no harm in squeezing a little extra functionality into it.

Still, it is hard Not to compare it to a phone. Especially given that there is the concept of an interactive screen plus computation and connectivity. A combination which could be used for almost anything.

And yet. A huge difference in the most basic usage of these tools is how we, in the shape of humans, grab and paw at these things. A watch is at your wrist. Lift your wrist. You may use one hand only (along with whatever other kinds of input it might allow). An advantage of it is that it is touching your skin always. A phone, is like a stone or piece of paper. You lift it. Run your greasy thumbs and fingers all over it. Put it on your ear. Toss it like a frisbee.

Once again, a comparison isn't fair, but it is difficult to resist when necessity comes into question at a certain price. I'm sure it'll be as popular we Beats Audio headphones. It is what it is. I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes our perception of what we take for granted in the world we'll be living in :)

Ps: will there be a spill-your-drink-when-checking-the-time app? :D

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm

meh. A lot of this is easy and convenient revisionist history.

People BALKED at the idea of spending $400 for the first iPhone. "FOR A PHONE???!!!!!?" was the rallying cry.

Same thing with the iPad. This very forum was replete with people saying "THE NETBOOKS DO THE SAME THING FOR MUCH CHEAPER!" :lol:

It's now the same with the Apple Watch. But, but but but!!!! it's just a fashion accessory!!! blah blah blah.

If you don't think that people will be attracted to the very basic principle of checking a tweet with a flick of the wrist instead of digging into the pocket or purse for the phablet than you are INSANE.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:51 pm

That's the other thing - as Phablets keep getting bigger and bigger who the fuck wants to take the time to unearth that fucker from your pocket just to check an IM?

EXCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT!

:lol: :x :lol: