Possible to run read-only set in free/unauthorized Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrickstinson

Possible to run read-only set in free/unauthorized Live?

Post by patrickstinson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I own Live 9 suite, and sometimes want to run a set on another computer but never need to edit it there. So it could be read-only. Is that possible without buying a second Live license? The set uses Max For Live, Looper, and a bunch of standard effects like Reverb, Delay, and Utility.

Thanks!
Web | Mobile | Audio
http://vedanamedia.com/

tedlogan

Re: Possible to run read-only set in free/unauthorized Live?

Post by tedlogan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:16 pm

You're allowed to install and run your license on two computers, in good faith that you'll only be using one at any one time.

patrickstinson

Post by patrickstinson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Oh that's a perfect use case for this, since I would only be using one at a time. Thanks!
Web | Mobile | Audio

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:39 am

But if read only is something you actually desire (for an unattended show case or something), I have no idea how you could do this. Even the trial has full save implemented.

Removing all peripherals from the computer is probably the best you can do.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 am

Yes you can. The only thing you cant do with a trial version is save the set. Im pretty sure ableton even recommend this little loophole as a way of potentially rescuing a gig should your computer die. Just carry the install file and a back up of your set and providing you can borrow a laptop, you're away.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am

Ryder17 wrote:Yes you can. The only thing you cant do with a trial version is save the set.
Interesting. It has been awhile since I used the trial, but I thought I remembered it being able to save sets that I was then later able to continue working on after I had bought the full version.
Did this change, or is early on-set Alzheimer getting the best of me?!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:19 pm

There is the 30 day trial which gives you full use under a profile.

There is also simply downloading, installing, then opening Live which lets you use all its functions, but does not allow you to save or export. (Good for opening a set and playing through it if you're in a tight situation). I am not sure if it gets along with M4L or not.

Then there is FLStudio which allows you to save the work of a single session, but does not allow you to save progress of a set which you've alreadh opened. This is to lure you in once you have something you feel Must be invested in further, but are stuck not being able to continue without realizing you need this software in order to continue life :P

patrickstinson

Post by patrickstinson » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 am

TomViolenz wrote:It didn't take long for me back then to discover I needed Live to continue my Life :mrgreen:

NEEDED like past tense, huh? Well, you are a better (wo)man than me. M4L and Push have me by the gonads and won't let go.
Web | Mobile | Audio