Behringer Monitors - Worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:56 pm

True. I mixed/mastered a couple of tracks on a friend's BX5, and despite the fact that I didn't believe they were good speakers, we got some really nice mixes, we've had excellent feedback on their sound...So I guess they are good :D

Have never tested the BX8, are they good?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:53 pm

I use my 2031A's everyday, have for 2+ yrs now. I know what to expect from them and they serve me well. I also check final mixes on my Yamaha msp5's...... just to be sure.
24in Imac/MBPro UNibody, Ableton Live 8 Suite ,Logic Pro 8, Liquid Mix,

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:02 am

I am going to get the monitors because I already have an Alesis PowerAmp and they fit my range of money. They are also good because they are good if you have a sub, And I have 2 subs, one for each channel.

BTW. They are the top of the line subs for my car, bought enclosures and made them work nice with my 8 ohm system. "they are 4 ohm"

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:20 am

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:BTW. They are the top of the line subs for my car, bought enclosures and made them work nice with my 8 ohm system. "they are 4 ohm"
Hmmm... I'm definitely no monitor expert, but are you sure you wanna mix on your car subs? Wouldn't they have a tendency to "oomph" the bass - like some hifi speakers? I wouldn't think that they are flat in any way. But on the other hand - as long as you know them...

I find no need for a sub with my B2031A's. But then I'm not really going that low. But I hear frequenzies from my synths that I never heard before I got these monitors.

Cheers,
Mikael

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:39 pm

Hmmmmm, unless you have your room tuned for mixing, the common concept is not to mix with subs. Maybe use them to check every now and then...

And you should have your subs tuned not to "conflict" with your main monitors...

Hmmmm...stay away from them unless you really know (or do not care) what you are doing...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:59 am

I never met anyone that was positive with an behringer audioproduct longerthan half a year...
You cant expect theese monitors to be accurate.

But of cause..it might be a matter of taste... just...
I ve read a test some while ago where the behringers was on the last place in the field ( they was the cheapest ones )...

Alesis has a pretty good name for cheap monitors...
Tannoy has a name to loose aswell.

It is allways good to have a set of testrecordings to decide of speakers. Some with very good mixes and some with very bad mixes.

Bad monitors tend to sound good even with the bad mixes...
Last edited by 3phase on Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:03 am

Well I have modified them and tested their frequency range. They are rigged to only respond to 300khz and down to 20khz. They are fairly flat and good to use. I use them because I need to "feel" my bass. Its my thing ;-)

Hopefully I can get my new monitors soon. I am so tight on money its not funny.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:02 am

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:Well I have modified them and tested their frequency range. They are rigged to only respond to 300khz and down to 20khz. They are fairly flat and good to use. I use them because I need to "feel" my bass. Its my thing ;-)

Hopefully I can get my new monitors soon. I am so tight on money its not funny.
300khz!?!?! 8O

you are an alien!

didnt you mean 300 Hz anyway :)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:03 am

3phase wrote:I never met anyone that was positive with an behringer audioproduct longerthan half a year...
I have plenty of Behringer products that I'm quite happy with. Sure the monitors might not sound like Genelecs. The BCR might not have the build quality of the Mackie Control. The Eurorack mixer might not have the EQ of a high end analog desk. But when I pay a tenth or less of the amount of high end brands, but get 80% of the performance. I'm pleased. I'm a hobbyist and most of the time I make no money from my music.

When I was searching for info on the Behringer monitors I found plenty of good reviews from both "reviewers" and users. Like this one... from Sound on Sound. And I personally rate Sound on Sound reviews pretty highly.

Cheers,
Mikael

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:20 am

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
3phase wrote:I never met anyone that was positive with an behringer audioproduct longerthan half a year...
I have plenty of Behringer products that I'm quite happy with. Sure the monitors might not sound like Genelecs. The BCR might not have the build quality of the Mackie remote. The Eurorack mixer might not have the EQ of a high end analog desk. But when I pay a tenth or less of the amount of high end brands, but get 80% of the performance. I'm pleased. I'm a hobbyist and most of the time I make no money from my music.

When I was searching for info on the Behringer monitors I found plenty of good reviews from both "reviewers" and users. Like this one... from Sound on Sound. And I personally rate Sound on Sound reviews pretty highly.

Cheers,
Mikael
I dont mind the BCR.. they dont process sound. And its also not the quality of the products..its not the electronic parts used... its just...Behringer equipment is not engineered..they construct the stuff very quickly with computerprograms, therefore they dont sound as good as other brands like DBX or Presonus or Alesis or...Neve :-)..Moog ! :-)))
When you look inside all of these machines you dont find special expensiv capaciators or op amps...its pretty much the same stuff..even the circuit diagrams look roughly the same... Its really the small difference if somebody has adjusted the details...
Is a capaciator 0,47 uf or is one with 4,uf on this place better...and so on
However..Behringer stuff is doing its job.. i ve a stereoenhancer that can be used for example.. Its just that i would check twice before i buy studio monitors from them.. Designing speakers is an art like tuning the piano..
Defenetly something that needs to be engineered.

lerky

Post by lerky » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:47 pm

behringer stuff always gets criticised.
I've some active pa speakers from them, very cheap compared with the competition.
sure they dont sound as good as mackies but they still can rock a party!
I use them for a comparison with my also very cheap yamaha msp3's and m-audio lx4 sub and satellites.
I also put mp3s of my tunes onto my mobile to hear what they sound like, the crappy stereo at work etc etc..
For people like me I'm sure behringer stuff is really great
fvck what the critics say

Steve Christian

Post by Steve Christian » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:08 am

For $400, you can get the Tannoy Reveals. You won't find a better passive monitor for the money. :wink: