PUSH - lock to control surface issue

Discuss Push with other users.
iokuyt

PUSH - lock to control surface issue

Post by iokuyt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Does anyone know of a way to make PUSH utilise the - lock to control surface - option in the same way as the APC40 does?

What I want is to lock PUSH to a particular track or device on the track and for that devices buttons/controls to remain available on PUSH even if I change focus in Ableton (to say - the master track)

The main use for this is for things like -

Switching my main mix between mono and stereo using a utility on the master bus, whilst checking the effect a particular plugin on a different track has on the mix - this requires me to turn a device on and off on 2 tracks at once (i used to control one device with the mouse button and one with the buttons on the APC40). Unless I'm missing something PUSH only allows you to change devices on one track at a time as once you change focus in ableton the focus changes in PUSH too (and vice versa)

Thanks in advance.

Steve Glen

Re: PUSH - lock to control surface issue

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:09 am

9.1.6b2 uses a lock to control surface, but I haven't found a way to do it right from PUSH.

current solution: right click on title bar of device, click 'lock to control surface (PUSH).

Would really like to be able to control this from push.
Or better yet, be able to toggle between pre-set 'locked' devices. so, semi-locked device rotation...

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

You can disable "follow selection" (or something like that), in your Preferences.
You can also use ClyphX and set up a lock to device function the way you want.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:58 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:You can disable "follow selection" (or something like that), in your Preferences.
Yes, but this is for clip playback only though.
True, but this....
Or better yet, be able to toggle between pre-set 'locked' devices. so, semi-locked device rotation...
...would be much better.
I like the second sugesstion too.
Not all racks are equally important in a live situation. It would be cool to have a mode where less important ones could be skiped.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:59 am

TomViolenz wrote:
True, but this....
Easy to do with Clyphx for M4L...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 pm

What is?

And I know my way around clyphx just fine, but I don't think it should be used as a continued excuse for Ableton to be lazy and not implement better solutions to problems that quite obviously exist.

Sional

Post by Sional » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:18 pm

TomViolenz wrote: And I know my way around clyphx just fine, but I don't think it should be used as a continued excuse for Ableton to be lazy and not implement better solutions to problems that quite obviously exist.
This plus we shouldn't have to rely on PXT Live and PXT General.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 am

TomViolenz wrote:What is?
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1940/m4l4cx
Inside this example device you've got all informations on how to "connect" M4L with ClyphX. Then you'll just need to grab a button or whatever controls on Push (I use the 2nd footswitch input) and use it to trigger to ClyphX action (can't remember its exact name).

But I agree on your point btw.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:What is?
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1940/m4l4cx
Inside this example device you've got all informations on how to "connect" M4L with ClyphX. Then you'll just need to grab a button or whatever controls on Push (I use the 2nd footswitch input) and use it to trigger to ClyphX action (can't remember its exact name).

But I agree on your point btw.
So this would override the function that is normally triggered from that button?!

I guess that could be semi usefull with a useless buttons like TapTempo.
But I don't want to have M4L running in the backround for something as fundamental as Lock-to-device.
And for something more eleborate, like the proposed "switch only between certain racks" You'd need quite a few more buttons and would have to make that preselection with clyphx actions in its Usersettings.txt.
That is a pretty horrible workflow.

OCH

Post by OCH » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am