Play Arrangement Selection quirk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drxl.ca

Play Arrangement Selection quirk

Post by drxl.ca » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi there,
I'm very new to ableton. When I first open a set I was working on, hitting spacebar behaves the same as pressing option-spacebar. But as soon as I hit stop to rewind the set to the beginning, the behaviour stops.

As an example:

I put the playhead at bar 9 by clicking in an empty part of the arrangement. When I press space, it starts playing from bar 9. Then I hit space, and it stops playing and when I hit space again it starts from bar nine again. Which is what I'm actually used to based on other audio editors.

However, as soon as I hit STOP to rewind to the first bar, then press space, and then hit space to stop again, the next time I press space, regardless of where the playhead is, it will start from the beginning of the set.

If I hit option-space, it will play from the playhead.

Most of the time I'm making minor tweaks to the placement of drum hits, so it's useful for me to not have to always start from the beginning, but just a measure before, and I can't understand why I get that behaviour when I first open a set, but that behaviour stops after I hit STOP the first time (after it rewinds to the beginning.)

I can do a screencast if it helps.

Thanks
DR

PS I'm using the free trial of Live 9.02

darkenedsoul

Re: Play Arrangement Selection quirk

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:17 pm

As far as I know that's been the behavior of Live since waaaaaaaaaaay back. Once you rewind to beginning of the track it will start at that point, stop when space bar hit again, and should either start at beginning or continue where you stopped should you hit space bar again.

to work around this perhaps put a loop brace around the section you are interested in working on once you find it and see if that will alleviate the confusion of operation and do what you want it to do, or perhaps it won't and still send you back to beginning of the track if you hit the transport stop button 2x, 1st to stop, 2nd to rewind to beginning of the track.

If I am way off base someone will correct me on the 2nd part of my response (or first too if I forgot things already!).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

vanhaze

Post by vanhaze » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

As far as i know, these are the different playback options in Live : ( arrangement view)

1) double click on the stop button in the transport bar : returns playhead cursor to 1.1.1.
2) click with mouse on the colored bar of a midi or audio clip, press spacebar: playhead starts at beginning of that clip.
3) drag the mouse to make a selection, press spacebar: playhead starts at beginning of the selection.
4) by pressing alt-spacebar, playhead always plays from point where it was stopped before.
For example: when in play, press spacebar to stop at bar 4
Hit alt space: playhead cursor moves on from bar 4
Hit space bar again at bar 10, to stop at bar 10
Hit alt space to continue play from bar 10.

5) place playhead cursor somewhere in an empty area on a track and press spacebar : the playhead cursor will play from that point.

6) when you want to start play somewhere in a clip, do not click on the color bar of the clip but for example in the lower half of the clip and press spacebar: the playhead cursor will play from that point.

Hope this helps !
Rob van Hees
Macbook Pro 15", 8 Gig Ram, Mavericks 10.9, Novation Impulse, Maschine MKII, Live 9.1 (latest beta 64bit), Logic Pro X 10.04, Protools 11.02, just too many plugins.

Jopke

Post by Jopke » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 pm

As far as i know, these are the different playback options in Live : ( arrangement view)

1) double click on the stop button in the transport bar : returns playhead cursor to 1.1.1.
2) click with mouse on the colored bar of a midi or audio clip, press spacebar: playhead starts at beginning of that clip.
3) drag the mouse to make a selection, press spacebar: playhead starts at beginning of the selection.
4) by pressing alt-spacebar, playhead always plays from point where it was stopped before.
For example: when in play, press spacebar to stop at bar 4
Hit alt space: playhead cursor moves on from bar 4
Hit space bar again at bar 10, to stop at bar 10
Hit alt space to continue play from bar 10.

5) place playhead cursor somewhere in an empty area on a track and press spacebar : the playhead cursor will play from that point.

6) when you want to start play somewhere in a clip, do not click on the color bar of the clip but for example in the lower half of the clip and press spacebar: the playhead cursor will play from that point.

Hope this helps !
This was extremely helpful to me. Thank you.
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . ...