OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[mal]

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by [mal] » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:25 pm

We have just uploaded the 9.1.6 to public beta that include the defects we saw on our side for OSX 10.10. If you do test 10.10, make sure you are on preview 7 or 8
- For feedback on these integration tests, please join us in our beta system : https://ableton.centercode.com
- We are officially not supporting the 10.10 system before we have seen the RC from apple, and generally we do not recommend installing beta software on production systems

Fixes:
- Indexer is populating the browser again.
- Reported crashes of bluetooth Low energy devices (midi sync and controller traffic) are no longer present.
- Rewire stability improved.
- Loading MAX devices with MAX 6.1.8 do no longer crash/hang when containing MXJ objects.

Known issues:
- Dragging a clip from session to arrangement will not work using the tab key since this will be suppressed on OS side, [workaround] dragging it to the view changer will work.
- some 32 bit plugins will show up as white UI's and cant be operated. This is also reproduced in other 32 bit hosts and is due to outdated juice/boost libraries when compiling the plugins. This can not be resolved on ableton side, but is a third party problem that we have communicated to manufacturers.

Cheers
Mads

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:54 pm

I’m curious if there are any features in Yosemite that people on here actually want or need.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

i'm curious how long it will take the Live needs Retina camp to throw a fucking fit that a new OS is supported but their displays aren't :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

beats me wrote:I’m curious if there are any features in Yosemite that people on here actually want or need.
The new Safari is a huge improvement IMO.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m curious if there are any features in Yosemite that people on here actually want or need.
The new Safari is a huge improvement IMO.

How so? Don't know (remember) anything about it.

And people can talk all they want about blind loyalty to Apple, but I think blind loyalty to Firefox beats Apple fanboys by millions and millions. :x (mostly due to a browser is a browser laziness)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 pm

You seriously think musicians investigate all features beforehand? What are we, computer nerds? ;-) I abandoned OS X 10.6 only 10 months ago. Unless I also had other priorities I would have stayed with this excellent OS. Updating to Yosemite will not be a priority, but I will probably install and check out the beta for my day job on an external drive.

I don't think there are any specific features concerning Audio and music making in Yosemite, except that there's bound to be software that take advantage of improved CoreAudio and better file sharing and transfer between IOS and OS X. The latter may improve the experience with making sketches on your IOS device(s) and move these between the Mac and the device. I don't have a good workflow there yet and most of my songs starts with a quick iPhone recording of whatever is at hand to get the idea down.

Mavericks have had its issues, but as Live has improved during this year I'm enjoying myself now. I love Live 9!
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:30 pm

H20nly wrote:i'm curious how long it will take the Live needs Retina camp to throw a fucking fit that a new OS is supported but their displays aren't :x
You didn't get the memo about Live 9.1.6? Get the beta and check out Retina support.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
You seriously think musicians investigate all features beforehand? What are we, computer nerds? ;-) I abandoned OS X 10.6 only 10 months ago. Unless I also had other priorities I would have stayed with this excellent OS. Updating to Yosemite will not be a priority, but I will probably install and check out the beta for my day job on an external drive.

I don't think there are any specific features concerning Audio and music making in Yosemite, except that there's bound to be software that take advantage of improved CoreAudio and better file sharing and transfer between IOS and OS X. The latter may improve the experience with making sketches on your IOS device(s) and move these between the Mac and the device. I don't have a good workflow there yet and most of my songs starts with a quick iPhone recording of whatever is at hand to get the idea down.

Mavericks have had its issues, but as Live has improved during this year I'm enjoying myself now. I love Live 9!

Well, I didn’t really think there are any music production improving features but was curious as to why people on here feel they need to upgrade for any reason.

I always watch the keynotes and see some really cool features if I was using my Mac for business or was ultra social, but neither of those things apply to me. Shit, I might actually improve my quality of life or at least discipline if I actually took advantage of all the new OS and software features. I just don’t see anything I need as is.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Tarekith wrote:The new Safari is a huge improvement IMO.
ROFL OS update to update web browser in 2014.

Quez

Post by Quez » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:48 am

New OS every year is too much.. IMHO.
But still i'm glad it's free.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
H20nly wrote:i'm curious how long it will take the Live needs Retina camp to throw a fucking fit that a new OS is supported but their displays aren't :x
You didn't get the memo about Live 9.1.6? Get the beta and check out Retina support.
:D good!

They waited too long long for that one... I don't have a retina display, but I totally get where those that do are coming from...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:45 am

Quez wrote:New OS every year is too much.. IMHO.
But still i'm glad it's free.
Agreed.

I'm pretty sure it's just a way to blame "the old OS" and herd the cattle into buying new equipment that supports "the new OS"

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:44 am

Only indirectly :)

I'm a developer, and I go through the new stuff in new operating systems to see what there is to benefit me. In the case of OS X, the major improvements for audio were a few releases ago, so it's really nothing major. For a user, there is a short list of "nice to have" updates, but you can safely stick to what works for you.

(In case you're wondering what I think is most important on the user side: Dark mode, iCloud is more Dropbox-like and sidebar widgets. Only one of which could conceivably affect DAW use.)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:53 am

gnurf wrote:For a user, there is a short list of "nice to have" updates, but you can safely stick to what works for you.
Still on Snow Leopard and still using Live 8 for gigging cos its a very stable, known quantity and there isn't anything in 9 I specifically need for playing live. Using 9 for production, tho. My 2010 i5 MBP still serves me well so I'm not upgrading/updating until I'm forced to.
I have an older 2006 C2D MBP that's my video machine for gigs and I find it convenient to keep both machines on the same OS.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 pm

@ Pitch Black - that's interesting. And you don't have problems with backward compatibility? Or does the situation not arise of needing to use your gigging machine to play your new work?