Could anyone give me some feedback on this?

Share your tracks with other users.
Lorang

Could anyone give me some feedback on this?

Post by Lorang » Tue May 27, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm really keen to get some feedback on this mix I did. DAW is Ableton Live Suite 8, drums are Addictive Drums, and I mixed it on a pair of KRK Rokit 8s.

Here is the link: https://emilbringsli.bandcamp.com/track ... ess-nights

Thanks to anyone taking the time!

NoSonic822

Re: Could anyone give me some feedback on this?

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 am

I like the piano melody, the song is really quuiet though

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed May 28, 2014 5:04 am

I can't comment on the production ( I am listening on my ipad) but it's a lovely track. Effective use of simple elements, very atmospheric, and a nice contrast between the piano and the percussion. I am bookmarking your site 8)

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Wed May 28, 2014 5:10 am

I noticed the quietness too now.. Bummer!
Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time!

BobSubgenius

Post by BobSubgenius » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Emil, cool song, I like the combination of atmospheric / metal stuff in there.
About the mix: the piano in the beginning sounds a bit to midi for my taste, if possible I would record it live (not a real piano just on a midi keyboard), or adjust some velocities / timing. The random parameter in the groove pool can be used to make programmed instruments sound quite natural and the velocity midi effect has a random parameter as well.

When the first drums kick in, the mix could use a bit more stereo to make room for all elements in the mix. E.g. the reversed sounding things coming in at around 1:15 are quite center, I would hard pan them left or right.
Same for the echo-y effects following the accented hits at around 2:15, they are completely center which makes them difficult to hear and they clutter up the mix, better pan them hard left or right.

If you want to get something out of the center you can also use a Haas-delay. One way to make one in Ableton is: take an instrument rack, create two channels in the rack, pan one completely left, the other to the right. Then put a simple delay in one channel and set it to a delay of 10-30 ms. Experiment with delay time for different flavors. Google "Haas effect" if you want to know what it does exactly (maybe you already know all this stuff, sorry!).

Also maybe use a reverb that is a bit less boomy on the piano, it takes a lot of space right now. Make it a bit smaller and filter out some more lows.

When the heavy drums come in at 3:15 I miss some serious bass in there. Everything sounds really fat and heavy and a meaty bass would make it even more engaging.

Like my previous commenter said the overall mix is rather quiet. I also believe in "if you want to listen the track loud, just use the volume knob" but if you have a good limiter plugin I would give it a try and run the mix a bit hotter. I like Waves Kramer Tape for example, it is a tape simulation that is good in adding some mild compression and warmth to a mix. And some dirt also if you enjoy that.

This is only my taste in mixing though :)
If you like check out the bandcamp of a project of mine. Sorry for some shameless self-promotion but guessing from your track I actually think you would like the music :) Atmospheric soundscape stuff with a bit of metal.
http://www.clashvoid.bandcamp.com

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for the in-depth response! I'll be sure to keep the things you said in mind for my next release (which I'm going to start working on really soon!). No problem with some self-promotion if its relevant, I'll be sure to check it out! ^^

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm

I released some more music now, and feel like this turned out a bit better than the last!
Let me know what you think!

http://emilbringsli.bandcamp.com/album/regn

doofdum

Post by doofdum » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 pm

I love this man! It's unique, and production quality is excellent! We need more of that. Music seems so homogenized as of late

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Woah, thanks man! That means a lot :)

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Nice work man, as said before, it's refreshing to hear something like this on here.

It is pretty quiet, but you already know that.

Lorang

Post by Lorang » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:13 pm

I have made a louder version of the song on the three-track "Looking Back" found on the Bandcamp-page!
I know I posted it quite a while ago, but I simply forgot about posting it here.. (whoops)

abort

Post by abort » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Lorang wrote:I released some more music now, and feel like this turned out a bit better than the last!
Let me know what you think!

http://emilbringsli.bandcamp.com/album/regn

I like this one a lot. the bit crusher effect on the master??takes some of the clarity away. Really like your ideas it dark stuff :)