Ebola is the new AIDs

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Ebola is the new AIDs

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Is it too soon for pharmaceutical companies to start popping the corks on their champagne? :x

derzai

Re: Ebola is the new AIDs

Post by derzai » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm

was invented by the kgb to combat overpopulation.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Not really. It is too virulent to be a really long run endemic plague. Kills people too quickly and is not contagious enough. It can only really spread in places with fucked up health facilities and poor public health systems. Nigeria is already on top of its outbreak, hopefully Liberia will follow soon.

But it is great, even better than HIV, as a vector for transmitting racist fears of Africa and Africans.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 pm

re:dream wrote:Not really. It is too virulent to be a really long run endemic plague. Kills people too quickly and is not contagious enough. It can only really spread in places with fucked up health facilities and poor public health systems. Nigeria is already on top of its outbreak, hopefully Liberia will follow soon.

But it is great, even better than HIV, as a vector for transmitting racist fears of Africa and Africans.

But according to our fear based news media there seems to be a new case popping up in random cities in the US (and possibly other places in the world but we don’t cover/care about that in the US). Seems pretty AIDS-like in its “creepin’ up on ya” origin story.

Post by re:dream » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:10 am

That's the fear based media for ya 8)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:52 am

I have no clue what is being said here.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:37 pm

According to CNN’s sensationalist headline 80 US people are being monitored for ebola. In the past they’ve claimed epidemic/pandemic with less people than that. :x

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:41 pm

eyeknow wrote:I have no clue what is being said here.
We're all gonna die!

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26657838/cdc ... eral-homes

edit

Thankfully our shape shifting reptilian overlords had a plan for this all along and

"The pandemic blanketed the planet though
disproportionate numbers died in Africa,
Southeast Asia, and Central America, where
the virus spread like wildfire in the absence
of official containment protocols. But even
in developed countries, containment was a
challenge. The United States’s initial policy of
“strongly discouraging” citizens from flying
proved deadly in its leniency, accelerating the
spread of the virus not just within the U.S. but
across borders."

http://www.rockefellerfoundation.org/up ... 7cc719.pdf

we're all gonna die!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:16 pm

meh. In this age of thinking that everything is an overblown media frenzied conspiracy it's going to be fucking hilarious when the shit actually starts killing people by the hundreds - then thousands.

:lol:

The media headlines are doom and gloom (rightfully fucking so) but the articles then are packed full of experts that say 'oh, don't worry. Shit can't happen here because of this reason or that reason'.

All the 'experts' actually rely on little more than pure speculation. omfg. The fact remains that no one can say for ANY degree of certainty how a massively dangerous virus like Ebola would react within a major metropolitan city in the Western World. Because...um...it's never happened.

Fucking retarded.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:17 pm

I mean, if the shit really isn't that dangerous then how's about taking it out for dinner and a movie.

ffs.

Fucking retarded.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 pm

You're leaving out one thing:

In order to be transmitted on a large scale everyone would have to engage in a mass ass-raping train across the country without using protection or (crucially) lube.

Beyond that the fucking thing just isn't that communicable.

:x
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:49 pm

It can only really spread in places with fucked up health facilities and poor public health systems.
That's probably not a coincidence; if it was engineered that way. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to wipe out most of Africa so it can be turned into a full-time US vs Terrorism warzone. It'll be portrayed as a real-life video-game. For the economy.
ImageImage

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Post by re:dream » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:06 pm

shadx312 wrote:
It can only really spread in places with fucked up health facilities and poor public health systems.
That's probably not a coincidence; if it was engineered that way. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to wipe out most of Africa so it can be turned into a full-time US vs Terrorism warzone. It'll be portrayed as a real-life video-game. For the economy.
Engineered? It's a zoonotic disease.

It's not particularly contagious. You need to be in contact with the blood, vomit or body tissues of a dying person to get it. You are at risk if you live in the same house and care for a person who is in the final stages of the disease. We are talking fairly intimate contact here. Or you need to be in an underfunded health facility.

Or you need to go kill and eat a bat.

If the WHO had been doing its job - and if the World Bank had not been pushing policies that encourage under-investment in public health infrastructure, the outbreak would not be as serious as it has been. But we are at the tail end of two decades of stupid neoliberal health policies.

I find the hysteria about this in the US totally puzzling. I live here in Cape Town and people are not particularly worried. Friends of mine have been traveling in and out of West Africa all year.

Anyway. Facts. Evidence. Reason. Who cares about it when you can have conspiracy theories and scare mongering? 8O

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 pm

re:dream wrote: If the WHO had been doing its job
Could you elaborate?!
From what my take of the news was back when there where only less than 100 cases reported, the WHO called out an emergency and asked the countries affected to take this seriously. Which they didn't.

What do you think the WHO did wrong?!