Moving Files from Arrangement view into Folders

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ARDJ

Moving Files from Arrangement view into Folders

Post by ARDJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:25 am

I, Anthony, like to make loops. Lots and lots of loops. When I make loops, there is no intent behind them but I'm sure I'll find a use for some of these loops in years to come.

I now want to simply take the loops which have been consolidated to a single audio file and drag them into a neat little folder arrangement I have put together. However when I drag them into abletons browser it stores these as .alc (ableton live clip ) files. I don't need a pointer or a reference to track-specific criteria (i.e. fx, settings, etc). I simply just need the audio saved as I have it.

I found a decade old thread on the matter here( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190920&view=next ) but I fear this is still the workflow - can anyone confirm? I've poured over the documentation but have found nothing when it comes to moving files in this direction, all the documentation points to dragging files into live.

Thanks!
Last edited by ARDJ on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshG567

Re: Moving Files from Arrangement view into Folders

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:01 am

If you're literally consolidating the audio, there's WAV of the clip contents made under %Current Project%\Samples\Processed\Consolidate once that's been done.

You could just manage those files and discard the clips, although the clip data will also be kept in any ASD files stored in the same place as the WAV, and I think will be the default settings next time that WAV is opened.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks Josh! I'm aware of the consolidation piece in the processed audio folder but that doesn't help me with the workflow I described above.

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Then nothing can help you, it's just not the way Live works.

Anything audio or midi you drag into Live's main window, be it Session view or Arrangement view, becomes a clip.
Dragging it out of there it remains clip.

The "track-specific criteria" (i.e. Live creates a set with a track and the clip) is only for midi clips, because Live has no filetype for midiclips but stores them right inside the set.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Maybe if you have a look into Preferences>Library> collect files when export (or something like that, I don't have time to check Live's english version), you 'll have a drop-down menu with options.
I personally use the "Ask" option. That way, when you drag a clip into your library (from Session or Arrangement) you have a dialog box asking you what to do with the audio samples attached to the clips...

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 pm

When the loop clip is selected, click on the .wav filename in the Clip View's sample frame (just below the word "Sample", in the example from Live's manual below it's the "Funk-111bpm.aif").
This reveals and select the actual .wav file in the browser, drag and drop it within the browser to just archive the .wav file.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks @Valiumdupeuple - that's not what I was looking for, it still produces an .alc or a derivative of.

Well @stuartm you've got the closest to what I'm asking for. There's an extra step in having to navigate back to the folder I want to drop things in but I can work around that for now (by adding those to my "Places"). Thanks for the suggestion, it will do just fine!