recording softsynths with or without all effects?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Novaliz

recording softsynths with or without all effects?

Post by Novaliz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:01 pm

I have a question about mixing a song. I work with a lot of softsynths like massive, zebra, sylenth 1 etc. and now i am on a point to finish a song. before i get to the studio I want to give my song the final mix. I use a lot of audio effects on my synths like sausage fattner, ohmicide etc. When I record my softsynth to a wave file for better mixing, do i have to record the wave file with or without the effects. Whats the normal professional process?

DangerousDave

Re: recording softsynths with or without all effects?

Post by DangerousDave » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Novaliz wrote:before i get to the studio I want to give my song the final mix.
Can you clarify what you mean here? Are you taking it to a professional to have it mastered? mixed for you? If your computer is not dropping out or anything, there aren't a ton of reasons to bounce your midi track to a wav just for mixing (although a lot of people who are used to this workflow will still do it as it was more common in the past.) If you are giving your song's stems to someone else to work on they will probably want a dry version and a version with fx so they can see your intention and tweak it.

If your softsynth itself is hogging cpu power you can always bounce a dry version to a wav file, and then add your effects to this new audio track (or via sends) and mix from there.

There are a few different ways to skin the cat basically, and mostly it is up to preference and intention.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I guess it depends on what's going to be happening "in the studio".

If the guys are going to be mixing your stuff, you'd be best to print the audio minus all the effects, or print two separate versions. My concern is that printing with all the devices, unless they're for tonal effect rather than making it fit in the mix, would affect the audio in ways that cannot be undone once printed. If you did something that makes a track hard to fit with the rest you may wish you had the raw signal produced by your MIDI prior to your effects.

Don't paint yourself into a corner - be aware of flexibility you may need.

Novaliz

Post by Novaliz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:44 pm

I want to make a rough mix on my own before starting the final mastering in the studio. I watched a lot of mastering and mixing courses and the guys were always working with the wave files. So I asked myself what its better: a) mixing the song in ableton without rendering all the softsynths to wave files or b) mixing only with complete rendered wave files. Is there a difference in the output/the final mix? is it better to mix the song with the wave files only?

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:26 am

It's all a matter of how decisive you feel. If you're happy with your MIDI and all of your synth tones/automation, print to WAV so you've completed that step. If you're happy with all of your tracks individually, print them post-FX too. If you think you'll still want to tinker with stuff, leave it open - it isn't usually a matter of resources, but sometimes it is.

chrk

Post by chrk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am

Novaliz wrote:I want to make a rough mix on my own before starting the final mastering in the studio.
"In the studio" - does that mean there's someone else doing whatever you're asking for mixing|and|or|mastering? From watching those courses you seem to have a blurred impression of what each of these is.

Talk to that particular person in the first place. They make you happiest, when THEY are happy with what they get.