Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:52 am

From Ableton:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/indexer-appnap/

Symptom
The Ableton Indexer is shown as "Not Responding" in the system's Activity Monitor.

Reason
With Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" Apple introduced a new feature called "App Nap". This feature tries to reduce the resources consumption of idling applications (or processes).
This feature also affects the Ableton Indexer and causes the Indexer to be shown as "Not Responding" in the system's activity monitor. In fact, this has no influence on the functionality of the Indexer.

If you experience this problem please check if it's still possible to add a new folder to Places in Live's browser. If the content of the folder appears in Live's browser then the Indexer is still working fine.

Additional Information
If the content of a folder added to Places doesn't appear in Live's browser then the Indexer has stopped working, which means the problem is most likely not connected to App Nap. In this case please contact Ableton support.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:16 pm

thanks for the info
it still eats up massive amounts of cpu at random times

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 am

Win 7 quad core, 64 bit 8 gigs RAM, even with external HDDs disconnected the damned browser indexing still slows down initial startup of Live 9 - basically, I wait until it has finished indexing my 7200rpm system drive before even trying to open a set, had to do that onstage once :oops:

Sheesh, Live 8 on a dual core Win XP machine was FASTER. Sort it out please, Abes, enough people have complained, surely. :cry:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:50 am

Just to add a point (and not saying that those experiencing are not having issues) but this seemed to be more of a problem with early beta's of 9 and then sorted it out here personally. I know they worked on it.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:21 pm

ze2be wrote:I like the new browser. But yesterday I got to feel the problem it introduces first hand. I had a friend visiting, and he wanted me to load a simple wav file from his usb drive into a track. Using windows browser I copied his file to a folder on my drive. And so in Live 9 im about to find it in its browser, and drag n drop into project: Where is browsing? There are no direct browsing haha!! Omg! I had to create a new folder linked to my drive just for this, but its impossible to do direct search because indexing took forever. Were not going to sit there for ages waiting just to check out a simple wav clip, so instead I just drag n droped it directly from a windows window into Live. Problem solved.
not sure hwat you mean by "had to create a new folder linked to my drive..." You already had placed the file in a folder somewhere on your computer right? You could have just clicked "add folder" in the places section of the browser and selected the folder that you made (or whatever existing folder you used) when copying your friends file to a folder on your drive and it would have show up immediately. You can also drag and drop this folder directly into the places section. Is that really so different from "direct browsing"?
Probably you'll have some kind of personal "samples" folder already in the places section, so if you'd just copied the file from your usb drive anywhere in this folder it would show up immediately as well. Or just make sure your desktop folder is in the places section and plonk any sample you just want to quickly check out on your desktop. Voila it will show up immediately in Live's browser.

Certainly the browser is not perfect but these stories of "I tried to just load a quick sample in my set and it took aaaages and had to do x workarounds" just don't make sense to me. It's not that complicated. I've never had any issues with the indexing either, it never took more than a second or two even for many GB's of samples.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:55 pm

^^ yup.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Complaints like the one above are baffling, I agree. I mean, does the guy really not already have an indexed folder of samples that he's been using for, one presumes, a long time? If he was smart enough to just drop his friends sample into his own sample folder that he'd been using all along, Live will update that folder on its own and he can go grab it... all this crap about re-indexing is just that: crap.

And if he -didn't- already have an indexed sample folder to use, then I guess he's got broader issues than figuring out how to import one sample from a friend...
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 pm

It's not 'one-size-fits-all' There are different operating systems, some using external hard drives, SSDs, differences in amounts of RAM, etc.

I'm on an older PowerBook Pro, running the latest versions of:
OS X Mavericks
Live (released & betas)
Max for Live
6 GB Ram (the max for my computer)
5400 internal hard drive
7200 firewire 800 external hard drive with 99% of my sounds

And Live 9 is, & has always been, the absolute slowest to launch sets. I've used Live since version 1.

The Index processes continue to run after Live has been quit, taking more time & resources.

I, too, would like to see Live return to a previous level of efficiency in this area.

YMMV

tummes

Post by tummes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Can anyone explain to me why it is not possible to have 3rd party plugins and Ableton's own in the same folder? Having them separated makes me use Ableton's devices even less.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 pm

tummes wrote:Can anyone explain to me why it is not possible to have 3rd party plugins and Ableton's own in the same folder? Having them separated makes me use Ableton's devices even less.
You can if you make instrument racks from them.

Make a rack with an operator in it.

Make a rack with (for example) massive in it.

You can save both of these into the same folder.

tummes

Post by tummes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:45 pm

ian_halsall wrote: You can if you make instrument racks from them.

I see. But then I make the nice folder categories ("Instruments", "Audio Effects", etc.) obsolete, because I have everything squashed under "Places/User Library/Devices".

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I seem to have lost all my factory & 3rd party packs. They are still in the folder but live is not seeing them Is there anyway other than to re-download 80Gb again?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:17 am

Rosko wrote:I seem to have lost all my factory & 3rd party packs. They are still in the folder but live is not seeing them Is there anyway other than to re-download 80Gb again?

Live's browser needs to re-scan. Don't download anythign, its' all still there, the browser just isn't seeing it. Restart live and it will (eventually) start scanning again. It's a total pain and happens WAY too often.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:13 am

Waste of space. Especially on my little laptop screen.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 am

tummes wrote:
ian_halsall wrote: You can if you make instrument racks from them.

I see. But then I make the nice folder categories ("Instruments", "Audio Effects", etc.) obsolete, because I have everything squashed under "Places/User Library/Devices".
Not if you create folders within your user library that are names the same as Ableton's Sound category names.... ;)
web | fb | sc | twt | bc