Tr 707

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Theo Void

Tr 707

Post by Theo Void » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 am

Should I buy a tr 707 in good condition for $300.
I love old gear and kinda always wanted one.
Would YOU do it?

koranek

Re: Tr 707

Post by koranek » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:38 am

I had one a long time ago. I wonder what ever happened to it. For my taste it never had any real character to it, vintage or otherwise. It was a way of programming drum tracks before I had any samplers or computer based recording equipment. At the time it was worth it slaved to a 4 track cassette recorder. I certainly don't miss it and would not buy it again for $30 let alone $300. There is old equipment that you sometimes kick yourself for selling. This is not one of them.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 am

i always wanted a MS2000.....i recently found a mint one for $300.00 i snatched it up....never looked back.
you only live once, DO IT!
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

mathew

Post by mathew » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:58 am

I really like my 707. Or did. I still layer the kick over a 808 for a little punch. The hats are really chunky and come in handy. Overall the thing cuts through a mix pretty well.

But do you need one? I really doubt it. See, the 707 doesn't do anything. It plays back samples and it has a sequencer. While I could be talked into one for nostalgia reasons, It would have to be for well under $100.

See, the sequencer is nifty and you can adjust the level of the sounds, but really the only thing that it physically does that its difficult to do without it, is using the rim-trigger to make a thing happen with an analog whatever. I liked to trigger the lfo on my jupiter 8 if memory serves me right.

This pack below contains everything you need to know about the 707.
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/drum-machines/

If you download this, you will get essentially a 707 on acid. Keep the controls at -0- and you have a well sampled 707 that does everything the 707 does, except it doesn't cost you $300 and won't possibly have a fiddly volume level on the kick.
Start messing with the macros and you will get everything I always wanted in my 707. Pitch, decay, attack etc.

Now, if you were to throw another $150 on the pike and were talking about the TR8, I miiiiight be willing to go that route. By not a chance for the 707.
accepting the problem will only make it go away.
Not Boyfriend Material

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 am

Another previous owner here. I would not buy one again. It was fun at the time with the step sequencer but IMHO not worth $300.
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:22 pm

I saw a 707 locally being sold for about the same price if I recall. I did a lot of research on it. The conclusion I came to is people either really love it or are pretty blase about it.

Then I started wondering if it would be more of a nostalgia thing...I mean, I have gazillions of samples from all kinds of drum machines, I have a sequencer in my DAW and Push...what does it really add?

So yeah, I passed.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanx for all the replies. I really don't need it. It was more of a nostalgia thing for sure and after listening to some demos and reading all these replies I prob won't get it.

I already have way more gear than I really need. I actually do own a TR8 and I love it. I heard Roland may be releasing new sound sets for it and I'm sure the 707 will be one of them. There are a bunch of empty kit slots just waiting to be filled so I hope they release some.

I also have Maschine, Push and Live 9 Suite plus Komplete 9 so I think I got drums covered. Lol.

I do love vintage gear though. Oh well. There's a few pieces of gear that I'm currently saving up for. Not sure what ill get first.

Octatrack
Rytm
Moog Sub 37

I have a pretty sweet hardware only setup so a sampler would be great. I really can't wait for the new electro es to come out. I'll def be jumping on that sampler.

Anyway. Thanx guys.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

I had one back in the day when they first came out, and loved it. I wouldn't buy one again, since I am retired and on a fixed income, but even at that I still am sometimes sorely tempted (especially at $300 if in good condition) - it was great fun at the time...

However, it is certainly not essential, as others have mentioned. Except for the nostalgia, it would be closet clutter for me.... But if you have space in your garage for a Model T, go for it... :)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:49 am

Theo Void wrote:Should I buy a tr 707 in good condition for $300.
I love old gear and kinda always wanted one.
Would YOU do it?
I think the 707 is digital, so you could practically use the samples. That said if you like the interface and the nostalgia, go for it.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:35 am

The Drum Rack's TR-707 Studio Kit that came with my Live 8 (maybe it was a part of the Suite?) is what I throw on every single incoming MIDI rythm track first. (Even MIDI tracks bundled to dedicated drum programs :-)

Maybe the hardware 707 has some extra features, but I'm fine with Live's.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:26 am

It is fun playing on old sequencers though

I'd say save your money for one of the new machines you listed, after you get a RTYM you won't need anything else hardware wise in drum machines