Manual for Analog

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
qwerty rapper

Re: Manual for Analog

Post by qwerty rapper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:43 pm

I would like mylkoa's tutorial on Analog
So just ignore that bump on the log
he can't see through the bay's fog
continue on with this dialog
"My fellow ABLETONS, ask not what your SESSION VIEW can do for you,ask what you can do for your SESSION VIEW."

jsn

Post by jsn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:45 pm

mylkoa did say, "in time...". This would suggest to me that it is an aspiration to be able to do such a thing. I commend it.
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:52 pm

mylkoa wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
mylkoa wrote:why do people who know nothing on a topic feel the need to teach others what they don't know? :roll:
I have learned a lot about Analog in the last few weeks, so when I write about it, it will be things I'm very familiar with, so I will be teaching others about things I know very well (not teaching others about things I don't know). Using spektrum, I have learned a lot about the responses of the various parameters, and I have charted them. I have yet to find this information discussed in the archives, and it is absent from the manual. Therefore, it is worth documenting. If you don't find it useful, then you are lucky - but other's might. Everybody has their own learning style, and that diversity can be a creative asset. Being patient with other people's perspectives and different viewpoints can bring many unexpected benefits.
just my $0.02, I think you get it. good luck!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Tone Deft wrote:just my $0.02, I think you get it. good luck!
I think I do, thanks, Tone Deft!

When I write it, I hope you will review it and offer constructive criticism. I'm sure your insight would make the product so much better, and help others to enjoy Ableton Live and sound synthesis all the more :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 pm

or I'd just screw it up. ;)

I love Operator, it's my go to synth. after that it's Sylenth. I never really fell in love with Analog. the interface is cramped and I just never spent much time with it.

FWIW often when we learn a piece of gear for the first time the BEST happy accidents occur. record all you do.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm

mylkoa wrote:I've found some great presets from an artist named Dedbird, for Analog, and so I'm studying those as well. I wish I could get a hold of the Covert Operator presets I've been reading about.
i believe dedbird posts here sometimes and i know Covert Operators did... but they were leaning toward Operator not Analog.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16418

taken from a link in that thread http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/

Galt

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:07 am

1. Turn knobs.
2. Try sound.
3. Turn more knobs.
4. Revert to Operator for better filter, envelope and LFO options.

:x

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:41 pm

H20nly wrote:i believe dedbird posts here sometimes and i know Covert Operators did... but they were leaning toward Operator not Analog.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16418

taken from a link in that thread http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/
You are a lifesaver, H20nly!!! I tried the covert operators website and Google with no luck. Thank you!!!!

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Tone Deft wrote:or I'd just screw it up. ;)

I love Operator, it's my go to synth. after that it's Sylenth. I never really fell in love with Analog. the interface is cramped and I just never spent much time with it.

FWIW often when we learn a piece of gear for the first time the BEST happy accidents occur. record all you do.
Yeah, I don't think Analog will be my preferred synth, but I'm taking a lot of time to study it, because it's super simple, and I want to max out on it before I try to tackle a more difficult synths. For me, it's about having an intuitive understanding between types of sounds and how those sounds are made. I have owned and toyed with Reaktor for years, and I think two-oscillator synths are a good place to start that synthesis journey. I don't think it's an accident that there's a synth called "Soundschool" in Reaktor that is similar to Analog, and it's built with an oscilloscope in it. Last year, I sat in on an audio/midi class at my com

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 am

Here is my first-ever tutorial, and it's about Fred Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook and Analog:

http://aempass.blogspot.com/2014/09/ana ... kbook.html

Yeah, yeah... I know it took me forever to make. I was busy in the interim, (moving cities, went on a 3-month-long motorcycle camping trip, etc.) Not to mention that I had to learn how to create a blog, host photos, and work youtube, because I had never done any of those things before!

In any case, I welcome your feedback.

Cheers,
Andy

P.S. The beginning is kind of mundane, but I think Analog users and Fred Welsh readers will really value the section about programming the filter envelope :)