Push with Maschine Studio

Discuss Push with other users.
Mikhailmusic

Push with Maschine Studio

Post by Mikhailmusic » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:50 am

Hey guys, I've had my Push for about a month now and love it's capabilities! Only thing I felt lack of was sampling and browsing/prehear samples. I've been researching Maschine Studio and looks like the answer to my needs. I'll now be able to completely work off the mouse and keyboard using Push and Maschine Studio

Anyone on here using Push and Maschine Studio together? Do they work well with eachother together? How's using Maschine 2.0 in Live 9?

yur2die4

Re: Push with Maschine Studio

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:14 pm

They do not interfere in any way. They each cover different ground, which is great.

Mikhailmusic

Post by Mikhailmusic » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:55 am

yur2die4 wrote:They do not interfere in any way. They each cover different ground, which is great.
If you can be a little more detailed that would be great :) . Can I record enable one MIDI to play through Push and record enable another MIDI track to be controlled by Maschine?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 am

Mikhailmusic wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:They do not interfere in any way. They each cover different ground, which is great.
If you can be a little more detailed that would be great :) . Can I record enable one MIDI to play through Push and record enable another MIDI track to be controlled by Maschine?
Yes that would be the way to work, though the Midi track you would control with Maschine would probably contain the Maschine VST. So Pushs Midi will be in clips in its track in Live and Maschines "Midi" will be housed in the Maschine VST on its track.

I always found that to be too convoluted, but if you can adapt to that it's quite powerful.

A big advantage would be that these two would be totaly independent, so that changing the track or device for Push, does not interfere with anything you do with Maschine in the Maschine VST.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:27 am

They would interfere no differently than Push would interfere with a standard keyboard controller. Truthfully, Push is the bigger culprit than Maschine. As a midi controller, Maschine is very nice. When you use the actual Maschine software, then Maschine is commucatijf Directly with the software and the channel doesn't even have to be armed.

However, if you attempt to control the Maschine vst software from Push, then it depends a lot on how you have the software set up. For the most part when you control Maschine with anything but Maschine or a keyboard, it usually takes a little preparation.

But these things are massively negligible. Maschine itself is a brilliant piece that manages itself beautifully.

Mikhailmusic

Post by Mikhailmusic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 am

Cool thanks guys! I plan to use Live and Push mainly and go to Maschine for my sampling needs and/or drums if im inspired like that in maschine. How's Maschine 2.0 in Live as a plugin? Anybody running into weird issues? I'm hoping taking my patterns from maschine and turning them into clips in Live is relatively easy...

I also don't plan to arrange too much in Maschine...Just want to intergrate Maschine into my workflow with Live and push. So on Maschine mainly looking to browse/prehear my own samples...chopped up the sample and come up with parts....take that into clips in Live and continue the arrangement through live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:52 am

It gets trickiest when one tries blending the two workflows. Each does its own thing very well, and they mind each other superbly. But when you try routing channels and midi I/o, or pulling clips here or there, Maschine acts more like an external instrument

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Mikhailmusic wrote:take that into clips in Live and continue the arrangement through live.
That's the convoluted part I mentioned above.
Unless you mean record into audio clips in Live, that should work nicely, but then Push is not so great with audio tracks compared with Midi tracks.

As your2die4 said, they are both great tools by themselves that can be used in parallel quite nicely without interfering with each other. Try to use them in series and it gets complicated.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:05 am

Mikhailmusic wrote:Cool thanks guys! I plan to use Live and Push mainly and go to Maschine for my sampling needs and/or drums if im inspired like that in maschine. How's Maschine 2.0 in Live as a plugin? Anybody running into weird issues? I'm hoping taking my patterns from maschine and turning them into clips in Live is relatively easy...

I also don't plan to arrange too much in Maschine...Just want to intergrate Maschine into my workflow with Live and push. So on Maschine mainly looking to browse/prehear my own samples...chopped up the sample and come up with parts....take that into clips in Live and continue the arrangement through live.
It really couldn't be any easier. You can simply drag and drop each Maschine group as audio or MIDI directly into Live as a clip. This works for both Maschine as a plugin or in standalone mode and you can use solo/mute to control what gets dragged over.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 am

I'm curious, if you drag MIDI into Live will it bring in any automation you've made in Maschine?
If my memory serves me correctly I remember someone from 'that other thread' saying that it doesn't bring in automation. Would be tempted to get Maschine if it now does.

jackpower

Post by jackpower » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 am

You can use Ableton push as composing tool inside Maschine standalone. Nativekontrol have Pxt General script for it.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:51 pm

That's not really what I was asking. I want to create complex arrangements with sounds that traverse the grid-lines. Live is the environment that I have chosen to do this and would prefer to use Maschine as a supplement to that; not the other way around.

cheers

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:36 am

panten wrote:I'm curious, if you drag MIDI into Live will it bring in any automation you've made in Maschine?
If my memory serves me correctly I remember someone from 'that other thread' saying that it doesn't bring in automation. Would be tempted to get Maschine if it now does.
Yes, it does. From the Maschine 2 manual: "When exporting your Pattern as a MIDI file for use in another environment, MIDI automation tracks will be included in the exported MIDI file."

panten

Post by panten » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Nice, thanks. Push & Maschine the ultimate combo for Live.