OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gnurf

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by gnurf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:22 am

fangjnr wrote: Then tried to update my Native Instruments stuff to see if I could get the Komplete Kontrol plug in working. This resulted in Ableton hanging on plug in scanning. Wouldn't even open a blank session
Are you installing the NI plugins as Audio Units or VSTs? If using VSTs, remove them (just the actual VST files, to save full reinstallation) a nd install AUs if you haven't. If already using AUs, I dunno, because they work fine for me. Also remember to run each standalone NI tool once before loading the plugin, as recommended by NI.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:32 am

Sorry to hear about that. What a nightmare.

fangjnr

Post by fangjnr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:46 am

I usually use Audio Units. I unchecked the VST button on Ableton

Guitar Rig seemed to be the main problem with scanning. Can't get it to open standalone

What is the best way to delete VSTs?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 am

fangjnr wrote:
I tried to revert back to Mavericks, but the back up volume I made was corrupt, so I am stuck in Yosemite.

Considering wiping and doing a clean install, but it will be far too epic to get everything installed especially as I have Komplete 9 to reinstall.
Thanks for sharing. How seriously was the back up volume corrupt and in what way? Can you read it at all? But just not boot from it? Is it Time Machine?

You can go back to Mavericks with a clean re-install, but as you say installing Komplete 9 can take a long time. Do you actually use everything in it though, in your projects? Maybe just installing the ones you need. I seem to recall I could choose just some stuff (installed everything though).

With a backup application like QRecall you would have been able to then get just the non-system stuff, provided the backup was readable but unbootable for some reason.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:59 am

fangjnr wrote:I usually use Audio Units. I unchecked the VST button on Ableton

Guitar Rig seemed to be the main problem with scanning. Can't get it to open standalone
What is the best way to delete VSTs?
They're in "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST". Just move "Guitar Rig 5.vst" and any others you don't want out of there to inactivate them.

I haven't seen Native Instruments OK moving to Yosemite.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 am

Folks, try and remember to make a check list before you upgrade vital parts of your music making system. Among these should be:
  • Is the DAW version I use compatible with the OS version?
  • Are any of my vital plug-ins compatible?
  • What does the makers and other users say?
  • Are any updates necessary?
  • Have I made a backup of everything?
  • Have I verified my latest backup?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:16 am

gnurf wrote: Are you installing the NI plugins as Audio Units or VSTs? If using VSTs, remove them
Why would Audio Units be preferable in this case? Traditionally VSTs have been said by many to cause less issues than AU. I use only VSTs because of initial issues with track activation (had to deactivate and reactivate once for the plug-in to actually get used) in Live 8.
Make some music!

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 am

Stromkraft wrote: Why would Audio Units be preferable in this case? Traditionally VSTs have been said by many to cause less issues than AU. I use only VSTs because of initial issues with track activation (had to deactivate and reactivate once for the plug-in to actually get used) in Live 8.
I've always used AUs without trouble, so that's my go-to solution ;)

Of course, if AUs cause issues, try VSTs. If both show the same problem, the fault is with the plugin developer. If not, Ableton might like a bug report.

fangjnr

Post by fangjnr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:39 am

The drive will no mount. It appears to be physically damaged. I backed up before a long haul flight, so the drive had a a lot of transit and possibly got wet :?

I have my user library on an external SSD and the same with my NI library. Shouldn't be too painful.

Just removed the VSTs. Thanks for that info

Doesn;t seem to be the plug ins. The whole release seems unstable. Sometime I can load a blank session and throw a clip in and play it. I can shut down ableton and repeat only to find I can't play a clip.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 am

fangjnr wrote:The drive will no mount. It appears to be physically damaged. I backed up before a long haul flight, so the drive had a a lot of transit and possibly got wet :?

I have my user library on an external SSD and the same with my NI library. Shouldn't be too painful.

Just removed the VSTs. Thanks for that info

Doesn;t seem to be the plug ins. The whole release seems unstable. Sometime I can load a blank session and throw a clip in and play it. I can shut down ableton and repeat only to find I can't play a clip.
Physically damaged! Arrrgh. My backup drives are very sensitive as they are bare bones drives I put in my Voyager Q slide-in interface. I must make a safe holder for these, so this is a reminder for me.

Sometimes with issues like this a clean system re-installation is the way forward. A lot of work but worth it in the long run. In your case I'd rather go back to Mavericks though as NI has not said as far as I know that Komplete 9 is compatible.
Make some music!

fangjnr

Post by fangjnr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:33 am

Mine are Lacie Rugged drives and I travel with them a lot this is the first issue. I have four of them and two 1TB WD that I leave at home.

I also know people who have Komplete and Live running on Yosemite with no problems.

Mavericks was an easy upgrade for me as my Macbook Pro came with it pre installed. It was in the first week of release too.

At least I am forced to do a good clean up.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 am

fangjnr wrote:
I also know people who have Komplete and Live running on Yosemite with no problems.
Without official word I'm not upgrading and neither should anyone else, except for a test drive. Testing everything you do is vital in that experimental drive case, I think.
Make some music!

jrob6716

Post by jrob6716 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 am

Just upgraded.. What the F#$% , did a full time machine back up prior just in case.

No issues with anything at this point.. so far my plugs and everything appear to be operating normally

Heres my setup on case anyone else is running similar

UAUDIO Apollo - TB
Spire
Sylenth
Virus TI
Fabfilter
Waves
PUSH
jROB

EAZYATM

Post by EAZYATM » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
EAZYATM wrote:My ableton live 9.1.5 won't work it won't load up when i click on it all i see now is the startup blue box load up, load up, load up... Thats all i see is the square blue box...
On what exact OS X version? Beta or Release? Tried the Live 9.1.6 beta 3? Though Live 9.1.5 is compatible according to this official article:Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" Compatibility

You can try and delete (or just move to the desktop) your file "Preferences.cfg" in the path "/Users/[your user name here]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.1.5/" and see if that helps. If not, I'd try and move VSTs and Audio units in the path "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins" temporarily to the desktop. If no change then, move them back and re-install Live.

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATE TO THE MAX RESPECT!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

djkilldyl

Post by djkilldyl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 am

It says on the NI site they are not currently supporting Yosemite.

Has anyone actually tried it?

I'm having constant crashes with Ableton so considering seeing if it works.