Tutorials: what's better, AskVideo, Groove3, Lynda.com... ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrdelurk

Tutorials: what's better, AskVideo, Groove3, Lynda.com... ?

Post by mrdelurk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:12 am

I'm about to have a month-long bout of doing a whole lot of nothing, visiting family. Time to catch up with tutorials... is there a consensus which of the following courses should I prioritize on? (as in: which is the strongest)

AskVideo
Groove 3
Lynda.com
MacProVideo
Sonic Academy
Udemy

Thank you

eyeknow

Re: Tutorials: what's better, AskVideo, Groove3, Lynda.com... ?

Post by eyeknow » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 am

Depends on what you are watching. For example, some of the live tuts on groove three are very good. Likely, since the most you'd pay is 15 bucks a month (I do) it's a great place to get a wide variety of tuts.

Some things are a miss though. I thought the maschine 2 vids were not that good. Man, it just occurred to me......this can get pretty expensive!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

Warp Academy, all the videos are by Live Certified trainers, cheap too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I often buy from Groove 3. They often reduce the Live 9 tutorial down to $10.

I also like Mac-Pro Video. I like them the best because all the steps are short videos and more ala cart.

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm

the best (and far the most entertaining and the longest-cheapest one too) music theory is this one : https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-classes/#/

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 pm

AskVideo and MacProVideo are the same company and typically have the exact same videos on both sites so take your pick. I have watched most of the Ableton Live videos on AskVideo and they're pretty good. They're typically anywhere from 10 to 25 videos in a course and most of the videos are 5-10 minutes long. I got more out of some of the courses than others but I will say after watching a few of the course I started to hear the same things over just presented slightly differently and from a different instructor. I still got my money's worth for the time I had my subscription (1 month).

I haven't used any of the other services so I can't comment on them but from a beginners standpoint AskVideos (MacProVideos) got me the info I needed to get started in Live and now I'm using it fairly proficiently.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm

i guess the bonus to lynda.com is that you can get a plethora of other product videos too. that site has some serious coverage of software and things technical.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 pm

PM me and I’ll give you Timothy Allan’s home address. His tuts on Groove3 are the best and he loves when random people show up on his porch with coupon code “I WANT TO MAKE BANGERS”

:)

:P

:x

DavidStars

Post by DavidStars » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:42 pm

I used lynda.com to learn ableton and I thought it was very good. Well organized, to the point, and has exercise files so that you can go along with the instructor which definitely helped.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:51 am

Thank you for the answers, gentlemen. So in a nutshell every place mentioned got at least one vote except Sonic Academy

Domokun

Post by Domokun » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 am

I learned a lot from MacProVideo and Lynda. Tried Sonic Academy and all I took away from that was a $60 loss.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 pm

I have been a subscriber of Macpro videos for a while now,learn't heck of a lot :D

The ones I looked at Reason,Live,Native Instruments, Omnisphere,etc, are excellent! Wether you buy courses as you go,or like me subscribe each month,its up to you.

All the tutors are very good,the courses are packed with content.

Also something worhty of note,is the the course covers people using a Mac and people using a PC (like me)

so the tutorials are easy to understand.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 pm

beats me wrote:PM me and I’ll give you Timothy Allan’s home address. His tuts on Groove3 are the best and he loves when random people show up on his porch with coupon code “I WANT TO MAKE BANGERS”

That coupon code won't work, you need to spell it BANGERZZZ!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 pm

timothyallan wrote:
beats me wrote:PM me and I’ll give you Timothy Allan’s home address. His tuts on Groove3 are the best and he loves when random people show up on his porch with coupon code “I WANT TO MAKE BANGERS”

That coupon code won't work, you need to spell it BANGERZZZ!!

Well, shit. That explains why the last guy I sent to your place told me you showed him how to make this.

Tasty by all accounts but not what they were hoping for.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm

The quality of the AskVideo content really depends on which presenter it is. Some are good, but others literally amount to 30+ minutes of someone reading you the name of a knob and then paraphrasing a manual-type description of the parameter its connected to. No bigger picture, no understanding of underlying mechanics, just "Here's X. Now what this is, is you turn this to increase or decrease the amount of X." Thanks dude.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir