Best "DRUMMER" plugins & ways to get live drummer beats

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bionicLOVEsoundsystem

Best "DRUMMER" plugins & ways to get live drummer beats

Post by bionicLOVEsoundsystem » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 pm

My friend just showed me Logic Pro X app "DRUMMER",
its actually really solid plug in for creating live sounding drums,
even electronic drums, awesome useful & i need something similar.

Are there plugins & ways to get live drummer beats/patterns to work with
in Ableton Live???

Boogiemeister
www.myspace.com/blackhurst
www.BeatsWithoutBorders.com

:: 2.4ghz MacBook Pro, Korg Micro X synth, KAOS pad 2, Edirol UA-25 audio interface, Edirol UC-33 midi device, Cort A5 Bass guitar, Melodica, etc.... ::

beats me

Re: Best "DRUMMER" plugins & ways to get live drummer beats

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Maybe check out Addictive Drums. It doesn't have the AI that Drummer has but there are some great MIDI patterns you can drag and drop into Live that were played by real drummers.

There are also lot of expansion packs tied to genres in both drum kits and MIDI patterns. In that regard there's more options available than Logic's Drummer.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:25 am

There is also ToonTracks EZDrummer which I own. Same principal where real drums have been sampled and real drummers ahve recorded MIDI patterns which you can build full beats with in the plugin or just drag into Live for easy editing. The great thing is that you get hundreds of MIDI patterns (with the option to buy more MIDI packs) and you can use these to build drums in other plugs such as NI Battery or even Lives own drum machine.

It's my go-to when needing a quick starter beat

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:44 am

jestermgee wrote:There is also ToonTracks EZDrumme

I love the way you can see the how the kit is being played very educational

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 am

irrelevance wrote:
jestermgee wrote:There is also ToonTracks EZDrumme

I love the way you can see the how the kit is being played very educational
Have that and a push playing back a drummers style and kids love it

jrhillma

Post by jrhillma » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am

I picked up Steinberg's Groove Agent 4 a month or so back. It has a built in 'complexity' algorithm that adds, well, complexity to the MIDI tracks it's playing back. It's actually pretty cool...although I am not a fan of the stupid USB dongle.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 pm

I use a combination of Superior Drummer 2, the M4L Polybeat device, elegant routing of drum MIDI to permit separate Velocity drive and random controls for each main part of the kit, and another Live set with legato drum clips I run on my Launchpad in another instance to send drum MIDI through LoopBe into my main set with the VST. Having all the relevant parameters mapped across a few BCR presets gives me enough control to "jam" with pseudo-random drums while I noodle around on bass or guitar.

SD2 can get pretty heady, there's gigs of room sound samples with variable bleed across the dozen or so default mics. I hear EZ drummer (another toontrack product) is easier to get started with. They've also got a program for running MIDI with preset loops, etc. into the VST but I've never really bothered with it.

iamcluster12

Post by iamcluster12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm

I just got Addictive Drums 2, definitely gonna be a game changer for my percussion. Just remember you can get demos of most plugins if you wanna try before you buy ;)

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 am

I know it cost's a bit but Stylus RMX has got some good live drums on it. The Xpander expansion libraries: Backbeat, Retro Funk are very nice. Stylus is a very cool product, a lot of fun.

The following is taken from an advert for Stylus and is talking about the Xpander packs for drums:

"A total of over 13 Gigabytes of massive sounds and grooves were produced by Eric Persing and feature numerous top session drummers including Abe Laboriel Jr, Gregg Bissonette, Bob Wilson, Eric Boseman and John Ferraro. They were recorded by Grammy-winning engineers at several legendary Hollywood studios. The wide range of tones and styles of the five Xpanders provide a versatile starting point for users to create authentic rhythm tracks."
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Haven't tried it myself but seems Jamstix might come pretty close to what the Logic Drummer does:

http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

login

Post by login » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I like Addictive drums.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 am

I'd recommend ezd2. It's replaced everything for me. I'll look forward to the SD update with the same routing :)

Herman the German

Post by Herman the German » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 am

I am a Jamstix user for years now and can really recommend it.
There must be a trial version, if I am not wrong, check it out.
Sometimes you need to tame it a little, as it tends to overplay, but that's manageable.
You can record its midi-output or drag it to a clip in Live and edit to your liking later.

By the way, version 4 is the pipeline and should be ready by the end of the year.

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:38 am

Jamstix for beats and SD2 for samples.
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

stewart.james

Post by stewart.james » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Herman the German wrote:I am a Jamstix user for years now and can really recommend it.
There must be a trial version, if I am not wrong, check it out.
Sometimes you need to tame it a little, as it tends to overplay, but that's manageable.
You can record its midi-output or drag it to a clip in Live and edit to your liking later.

By the way, version 4 is the pipeline and should be ready by the end of the year.
I've been trying to use the trial for a month or so. Frustratingly, it won't run in Live for me - the CPU meter goes nuts and it won't even play the metronome! (This is before I've even done anything.) It does run in Reaper though, albeit with the odd glitch. My machine generally seems up to the task production-wise (eg can run large sets with multiple plugins, without any problem). Anyone else come across this? (And what to do about it?)

Cheers

Stew