Custombuilt Music Computers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Custombuilt Music Computers

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:33 pm

What options are there out there for custom-built Music Computers? That is both builder companies that sell well-tested pre-built components in a few variants and community-type sites as well as companies more focused on finding fully compatible components that you can use to build your own and vendor supply knowledge on top of that.

Platforms that I've seen for pre-built machines is Windows 7 or in some cases Linux, but I'd be interested in hearing Hackintosh alternatives as well, if that is allowed in the forums. I was into that until I realized building my own Mac Pro would gain me nothing and cost me more. Apple typically doesn't skimp on components.

I've found the swedish builder company Shine Data that runs the site musikdator.se and has several variants of "Studioline" in both desktop and in Rack versions.

I also remember another swedish builder that built music computers with "Snow"- something in the name. They also had a portable. Snow Mobile? I couldn't find them again. Rings a bell?

What else?
Make some music!

login

Re: Custombuilt Music Computers

Post by login » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Well building it yourself isn't hard at all, there are sites with dedicated instructions and list of components if you want a hackintosh. Also a great number of videos of how to put it together.

Normally if you buy parts from a local store thay can help you to put it together for a small fee (and honestly the only hard part to set up is the CPU and it's cooler).

I wouldn't pay what this custombuilt companies ask for the "work" of "looking" for parts and putting it together as if there was something magical they can only do.

So, don't be afraid, you will gain a lot of knowledge in the process and next time it will be a breeze to built your own. is a skill you are gona use some more times in your life and save money :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 am

login wrote:Well building it yourself isn't hard at all, there are sites with dedicated instructions and list of components if you want a hackintosh. Also a great number of videos of how to put it together.)
Yes, I know. I researched this last year until the Mac Pro arrived. I realized that I wouldn't save much really to build my own, unless I skimped on components. Why would I do that?

The most tempting opinion would be to build a simpler Mac Pro with better performance than a Macbook pro or iMac at a better price point. But the stuff you actually need in it does add up.
None of what I looked at, below performance of the then new Mac Pro, one year ago could outperform a (then) current Macbook Pro. So all that work and not better performance than that? And no portability at that. I know things have improved since, but great Mac-compatible components aren't cheap.

As Windows alternatives I think the computer builders' machines are worth the money, as they are proven to work. Few active people have time to build machines so I wouldn't count those out.

But for those that do have time ( I at least wish I was one of them) tips and discussion on those sites and events specialized on music production machines are very welcome.
I know of the general Mac-focused ones like tonymacx86 but I would assume there are Windows-oriented ones too? Perhaps even a few focused on music production?
Make some music!

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 am

Mac Pro is really, really overkill for music production. Why going for a server processor instead of a consumer one?! The price really add up. I built my own computer in 2010 (Intel i5 760, 12GB RAM, GTX 460 and nowadays an SSD) and that one is still rocking everything I throw at it. Multiple Zebra/Diva-Instances and I have the possibility to go Hackintosh on it. But I have a MacBook Pro, so no real need and still need Windows for a few things.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 am

JDFS wrote:Mac Pro is really, really overkill for music production.
There's no overkill as far as Music production in concerned. At least not when you're mostly using soft synths. Latency, latency, latency. Anything over 8-10 ms is just bad.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am

Please people, Windows oriented music production sites? Are they out there? I know of Android ones, but it would be nice to learn more about Windows music production too.
Make some music!

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

Here are some that may interest you:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/choose2.asp

http://pcaudiolabs.com/

http://www.studiocat.com/

My primary DAW was built by StudioCat (Jim Roseberry) who I would recommend. Can't speak to the other two but I've heard good things about ADK, not familiar with PCAudioLabs
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

chrk

Post by chrk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 pm

dawplus in Hamburg is now part of xi-machines
Digital Audionetworx in Berlin

Two vendors I know off in Germany who are specializing in media workstations.

Leon from dawplus is quite active on gearslutz and what I've read from him demonstrates how much effort he puts in testing components and matching a system.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:10 pm

mmorgan wrote:Here are some that may interest you:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/choose2.asp

http://pcaudiolabs.com/

http://www.studiocat.com/

My primary DAW was built by StudioCat (Jim Roseberry) who I would recommend. Can't speak to the other two but I've heard good things about ADK, not familiar with PCAudioLabs
Very interesting, mmorgan. Thank you! Will check them out tonight.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 pm

chrk wrote:dawplus in Hamburg is now part of xi-machines
Digital Audionetworx in Berlin

Two vendors I know off in Germany who are specializing in media workstations.

Leon from dawplus is quite active on gearslutz and what I've read from him demonstrates how much effort he puts in testing components and matching a system.
Thank you chrk! I love german-assembled hardware. I will check these out too.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 pm

gearslutz has a forum "Music computers" where people discuss pc builds too and also an sticky topic "today we built our windows pc" https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... hread.html

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah plenty of ppl at GS would be chomping at the bit to get you to buy one built by them.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 am

login wrote:gearslutz has a forum "Music computers" where people discuss pc builds too and also an sticky topic "today we built our windows pc" https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... hread.html
Thanks login, I've missed that forum on Gearslutz. I'll check it out.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:23 am

JoshG567 wrote:Yeah plenty of ppl at GS would be chomping at the bit to get you to buy one built by them.

Yeah this too, a few guys which work in PC DAW "custombuilts" offer and push their services, but just ignore them, plenty of people willing to helpt oo. But well maybe some of the PC daw builders has nice prices, I will ask just for curiosity.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:24 am

login wrote:
JoshG567 wrote:Yeah plenty of ppl at GS would be chomping at the bit to get you to buy one built by them.

Yeah this too, a few guys which work in PC DAW "custombuilts" offer and push their services
Really? I haven't seen anyone do that in any music forum.
Make some music!