U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:47 pm

I just hope the Hive sounds as good as, or better than, Sylenth (no digital harshness). And the filing system makes sense. And it looks good.
I hope so too. To me, Sylenth still sounds the very best for supersaws. Meaty and rich.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:I just hope the Hive sounds as good as, or better than, Sylenth (no digital harshness). And the filing system makes sense. And it looks good.
Considering that every U-He release, including all synths and effects, share exactly the same file management system, I think you can predict exactly what the file system will be like :)
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

deva

Post by deva » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 am

mholloway wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote:I just hope the Hive sounds as good as, or better than, Sylenth (no digital harshness). And the filing system makes sense. And it looks good.
Considering that every U-He release, including all synths and effects, share exactly the same file management system, I think you can predict exactly what the file system will be like :)
Indeed! :-)

There is a new file management system in the works, but who knows when it will see the light of day...

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:30 am

tone61,

For drum machines, I think speed and fun are more crucial than with synths. Actually, I’d say the main things for me are:

- Speed,
- Fun,
- Sound.

So many drum machines and whatnot have sounds you hate or are totally sick of. If I here another 808 kick I’ll scream. And standard acoustic sounds drive me crazy too. Or there are sounds that are just crap – just fillers to boost the number of presets. But if you can easily delete them without leaving a blank space, and can easily drop samples into clearly sorted folders, etc. then you can get off to a good start.

Then 8 or 16 pads for each sample or created sound. Then ASDR for each one. Then right click on it to add EQ or other effects. And a simple sequencer to get started then it should be able to dump the midi into your daw easily. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Then an attractive interface – no trendy smashed glass or all white or anything blah like that. Make it desirable.

When I go to Ableton there’s lots options and nothing really sticks out. Other drum machines can be too complex to get started. I just want an exciting fun toy that sounds good. Don’t make me think!

There should be a drum machine that’s like Sylenth as far as sounds and simplicity goes – every sound is good and the overall sound is good. Yeah, why doesn’t somebody create the go-to drum machine that everyone wants?! Glaring gap in the market! The only thing that’s wrong with Sylenth is that it’s ugly, has hidden parts, and the filing system is agony. But if a drum machine had that go-to sound and simplicity but with a good looks, no hidden sections, and a great filing system, then it would be a winner.

I’m gasping for such a drum machine. Can’t be the only one.

Actually, you’ve inspired me to draw a basic idea. I’ll post it in a few hours or tomorrow. I already got the basic idea just now and it only took 5 minutes.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:06 am

mholloway,

u-he filing is fine. Bazille is great with the way you can make notes, etc. That would be much better than Sylenth's filing system.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 am

This looks like a photograph of Ableton :lol: So it's not how it would actually look. It's just the logic of the layout if I were to design a drum machine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6fjv5dsb2qkx ... e.PNG?dl=0

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 am

Martin Gifford wrote: ... should be able to dump the midi into your daw easily. Shouldn’t be too hard.
SonicCharge's µTonic can do this, just drag and drop into a clip slot.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:18 am

uTonic was a great idea in principle. :!: But it is all white and all the sounds I heard were like little farts or fairy whispers. And I couldn't instantly find how to do stuff. It made me think. :cry:

Maybe I'd call a new Sylenth-like drum machine "Bang" to get the point across. 8) Other ideas:

Right click on anything to change the colour.
Multiple samples can be dragged into browser for permanent access.
Lots of gloss and neon.
One click to copy sequencer midi to DAW.
Can drop samples from browser to pad and/or use oscillators to synthesise a sound for that pad.
Randomise can be used for sound selection or kit selection or both.

Here's an alternative design:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnf4kvqyz139t ... 2.PNG?dl=0

tone61

Post by tone61 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Martin Gifford:
I see. All main controls immediately accessible like in many HW drum machines.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Music Radar review of Bazille: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... lle-609752

I feel pretty much the same way.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:50 am

the first audio demo of Hive, sounds great for a cpu friendly synth http://www.u-he.com/downloads/Hive/HiveBell.mp3
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 am

I think that Music Radar review is biased. It hardly pointed out any problems with Bazille, e.g. complexity, a "distant" sound quality, fiddly wires, limited usage (it's better for film sound effects than for dance), etc.

Bell sounds are often the least "digital" sounding synth sound, yet that Hive mp3 still made it sound a bit digital. I hope this new trebly/digital/Serum approach to sound creation isn't the "next new thing" that Hive is trying to copy. :evil:

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:39 am

I disagree Martin.

"Complexity" - this is a modular synth...what did you expect? It's not Sylenth. Besides, it can be as simple or complex as you want.

"Distant sound quality" - I'm afraid this does not compute at all...simply not true - have you listened to all the presets or made some yourself? It sounds frankly amazing - rich, meaty, lush, "warm", very digital if you want it to [insert more positive words here]. I genuinely don't understand how it sounds like this to you.

Some people have said they don't like the wires - the alternative would be much worse: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=450 scroll half-way down that page and read ghettosynth and pdxindy's comments, which make a lot of sense - without cables you'd get very lost in trying to figure out what the hell is going on in more complex patches. One thing I never liked about Zebra - following modulation sources became a pain in the ass. With Bazille it's instant - Osc1 to Filter 4, to Lag Generator to Multiplex etc. Follow the wire trail. But this is certainly not for everyone, but with great flexibility comes a price.

"Better for sound FX than dance" It's excellent for SFX yes, but excels in non-FX as well. Perhaps not-dance focused, but once again, this is a modular beast, not a trance powerhouse like Spire or Sylenth. But I know you can get amazing generic trance sounds out of this if you want to, but that would be kind of like using a Ferrari convoy to drive down to the local grocer.

What you list are problems are simply attributes which aren't your cup of tea. I personally don't care for "dance" sounds and prefer the rich and unearthly organic tones and timbres you can coax out of this thing, really thick bass sequences, beautiful pads etc.

I honestly don't know what you mean with limited usage and distant sound. We must really be using different synths. Have you explored this thing at all?

I fully agree that it is "one of the finest softsynths ever made". I would remove the "one of" bit from that sentence if I was reviewing it though :)

Just wanna mention that I don't want to come across as an outraged fanboy intolerant of other's opinions, I just really don't see Bazille from your viewpoint, it truly is strange to me. No offense or anything meant.