M4L Stability (POLL)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

M4l crashes randomly to desktop when either loading a device or changing parameter on device

M4l is stable for me & i use windows
21%
M4l is stable for me & i use osx
28%
M4l crashes as described & i use windows
23%
M4l crashes as described & i use osx
11%
M4L crashes but not as described above
18%

Total votes: 101

tedlogan

Re: M4L Stability (POLL)

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm still in the process of updating to 9.1.6 (auto-update was turned off and Live, aptly, crashed last night version 9.1.5).

I rarely have crashes, but the latest one is related to Keyboard Control 2. Real cool device, very useful, but if you have anything mapped to the touchstrip of Push and save that in a rack, it will crash Live upon loading that rack. I should contact the creator, but haven't.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit, but still on Live 32 bit for some completely unfathomable reason.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 pm

I try to advoid using m4l because of crashes (convolution) but mostly because of device forgetiness, like my custom patch becomes blank or the original preset when i reload the set. Somebody mentioned 'gremlins' in the project, which is definitely a good description of the result and i cant recover from it. I have lost sets because they were unopenable. Havent had any major problems in the last 8 months.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:46 pm

You shouldn't loose set that can't be opened (if I'm following correctly) Unless your template has the culprit, you should be able to open live, disable the audio engine, and open a project. Since we're all painfully aware that most of the time it's M4L, you should be able to disable those, turn on the audio engine and save a copy that won't crash every time.

Ah the wonders of working with hosts......it doesn't matter which one :lol: They are a maze.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Steve did you try the latest version of live?

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:31 am

9.1.6b4 is what I have right now. Haven't tried convulution recently. WAIT> WHAT! 9.1.7b1!!! I don't remember updating. Looks like it was installed at 5:26am this morning. I didn't do that.

Scary. No Ableton. Auto-updating is definitely not feature I want. Stop. How do I disable auto-updates? Does it only apply to the beta?

No. As soon as I started the regular 9.1.5, it started downloading a new copy.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:33 am

Auto update cannot be turned off for the beta to make Ableton's life easier - they know they're always dealing with the same version when it comes to bug reports etc.

You can turn it off still for non-Beta though:

Preferences - Licenses/Maintenance - Get Automatic Updates - turn it off.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:38 am

Auto update cannot be turned off for the beta to make Ableton's life easier - they know they're always dealing with the same version when it comes to bug reports etc.

You can turn it off still for non-Beta though:

Preferences - Licenses/Maintenance - Get Automatic Updates - turn it off.
Horray! That makes sense.

I use MaxAPI ParamsMatrix in one of my sets. It's really cool because you can link so many objects across the set to one macro rack. I mostly consistent problem where, upon loading, the device has all of the connections turned off. They are still mapped correctly but they are off so I have to click them all back on again.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:57 am

tedlogan wrote:Auto update cannot be turned off for the beta to make Ableton's life easier - they know they're always dealing with the same version when it comes to bug reports etc.
My betas never auto-update. I'd prefer if they did.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Steve Glen wrote:I have lost sets because they were unopenable.
You do know that you can start a new project and add tracks and/or clips from the old set via the browser? This is very useful if your song lives on several machines.

We do this typically after studio sessions as we don't have the exact same instruments and effects so we need to move unique tracks as audio (frozen or recorded). This way we can both be current.
Make some music!

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:10 am

Value: M4L crashes but not as described above

Long story: I downloaded the Max installer from my account on Ableton, launched it, and 80% on the way to completion, I got a window asking "Do you want to install PACE anti-... blah blah", to which I clicked NO in a nanosecond (because "Kill, dismember and scatter it to the four corners of the earth" wasn't a selectable choice.)

So I promptly got an "Unknown Error occurred in .\CopyInf.cpp at line number:397 Other Error:-536870333 Internal Operation :200" and I guess that's it for seeing M4L happen on this PC ever. Fine.

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 am

Windows 7 32bit on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop is used for performance.

M4L devices seem to be rubbish. Resource hogs that randomly crash Live. This is NOT GOOD when you are performing. I blame developers (a commercial developer I purchased from has assembled some insane garbage in M4L) and M4L.

The idea is nice, but Ableton is built to be used in a performance setting. I love that. But when I need to customize I am always last to use M4L. I have successfully used it in a non-traditional fashion but for the average consumer the learning curve will be tough. It ought not to be so difficult to use without risking crashing.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 am

part of the problem is that most people who are developing devices don't have the knowledge and skills to design and build pro devices...

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 pm

fishmonkey wrote:part of the problem is that most people who are developing devices don't have the knowledge and skills to design and build pro devices...
Quoted for truth. If it fails once in a performance scenario that is one time too many.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:40 am

fishmonkey wrote:part of the problem is that most people who are developing devices don't have the knowledge and skills to design and build pro devices...
Which is probably a good idea to be selective when choosing software and indirectly the developers behind the product.
Make some music!

salmonito

Post by salmonito » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm

I tried granulator 2, instant haus, drum synth from max4live. Saved the project (all liveinstruments, effects + max4live). Later, the project cannot be opened 50% of the time, live crashes after max4live splash screen "serious error". I could live with this if this was a free product. This is not funny and a very unprofessional error handling from live and m4l.