Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Goddard

Re: Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Post by Goddard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:22 am

I don't know what the hell are you talking about?!
You all sound like a bunch of whinos...
First things first. Connect your external audio interface and turn it on. Then you may start up the computer.
Never had the issue with Live not recognizing set up audio interface.
Doesn't matter if it's desktop or laptop.
I'm on Mac (iMac and MacBook Pro...) using Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and RME Fireface 800.
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Awesome, now unconnected it and then reconnect, does Live automatically select it again? Every other DAW I've ever used does this, very useful for laptop users running different audo set ups.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Tarekith wrote:Awesome, now unconnected it and then reconnect, does Live automatically select it again? Every other DAW I've ever used does this, very useful for laptop users running different audo set ups.
With huge amount of respect for your knowledge and experience I can't find any reason to disconnect my setup during ongoing session and before shuting off the computer first...
I agree that it's probably only me, but I've never required any reconnections with my setup turned on...
And as I recall you even have warning displayed when using Saffire Mix Control software that you are not supposed to disconnect your firewire interface while the setup is on (I turn it off so I have only tiny recollection of that warning...).
Skål!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:06 pm

I think you're not understanding the issue. A laptop user likes to use her/his audio interface in the studio, but may prefer to work with headphones plugged into the laptop directly while working on a session at a coffee shop or so. Now, when you come back home and plug your audio interface in again, you will have to go into preferences and select it. If you're using your laptop on the road a lot without an interface this is a huge pain.

I am with Tarekith, every DAW seems to be doing this these days. Such an easy fix. Btw, same applies to screen settings when using an external monitor and then the laptop. Logic does this both beautifully.

Ken

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Goddard, I think it's indeed only you. (:

I constantly switch between at least two external audio interfaces, one that I use for my live performance and the other stationary one in my home studio. I personally find selecting audio inputs/outputs each time rather annoying, because it's something really unnecessary when you're at the peak of inspiration wanting only to play your keyboard and beats and not dig into preference dialogs. Plus, it seems like it's a relatively easy thing to fix.

I am a laptop user who uses it both in the studio and on the road.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

for me the issue comes up because i have my monitors, mic pre-amp, turn table phantom power, and interface all plugged into one power strip. i turn it off (with a single switch; instead of 2 switches, disconnecting 2 power cables from devices, and 1 button) when i'm not making music rather than leaving it on 24/7.

there are only two ways i see around this...
1. ALWAYS turn off the power strip when the computer is powered down
...or...
2. Ableton change the behavior within the software.

since the former is not always conducive to my happy computing experience, i look longingly to the latter for the resolution.

rdomain

Post by rdomain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:03 am

Shits me to tears. Logic works fine. Not Ableton.

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:48 am

So the request is for Live to auto-detect the audio device, right? Because the program already "remembers" the last device & driver used. And while that's a perfectly fine feature to request, it isn't that hard to go into preferences and select the device.. like 5-10 seconds of your time.

chase

Post by chase » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 am

c33 wrote:So the request is for Live to auto-detect the audio device, right? Because the program already "remembers" the last device & driver used. And while that's a perfectly fine feature to request, it isn't that hard to go into preferences and select the device.. like 5-10 seconds of your time.
No, it doesn't. That's the whole problem. As soon as you unplug it forgets. If you never unplug, this thread isn't about you.

Do it over and over again every time you move your laptop and tell me it's only a few seconds of your time.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am

+1 - OSX manages to remember which card was selected even if its not available in and automatically reselect it when it is. Live should too!
Nothing to see here - move along!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:58 am

"shits me to tears" lol...

+1

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm

chase wrote:
c33 wrote:So the request is for Live to auto-detect the audio device, right? Because the program already "remembers" the last device & driver used. And while that's a perfectly fine feature to request, it isn't that hard to go into preferences and select the device.. like 5-10 seconds of your time.
No, it doesn't. That's the whole problem. As soon as you unplug it forgets. If you never unplug, this thread isn't about you.

Do it over and over again every time you move your laptop and tell me it's only a few seconds of your time.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I was looking at "remembering" differently. I do switch back and forth between my interface and computer's sound card. But if, say, I was running my interface, closed live, unplugged it when I was done and plugged it back in before starting live again - I wouldn't have to change anything in preferences because that was my last configuration, yes?

Anyway, I'm not dogging the feature request, but I still contend that manually changing isn't that big of an issue and takes 5 seconds to do.

musick

Post by musick » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:11 pm

+1

ultraplay

Post by ultraplay » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:02 pm

OK a few years on now from this original post, so did anyone find a fix for this as it's still a really annoying issue?

The problem happens even if I simply turn my audio interface off, then on again. Ableton, (or the track I'm working on) never remembers the audio device I always use so I have to constantly go to the preferences, select audio, select audio output device, then scroll through a load of options until I see my audio device... It's a proper pain in the ass!!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:59 pm

if you can be bothered, vote for this in the Suggestions section on the Centrecode beta forums (SUG-0440)