U-he appreciation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crystalmsc

Re: U-he appreciation

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:22 am

I'm a Waldorf addict since a long time ago and still keep the uWaveXT,uQ and Pulse+. I don't really connect with the new gears, dunno why. But PPG 3.V along with Attack and D-Pole filter are certainly among the best, even up to this day. Most of the time the PPG made me fee like using a uWaveXT inside a PC, specially when being used with the D-Pole, while using Attack made me feel like using the uQ engine as a great drum synthesizer, which can also being played like a synth. Nothing is wrong with the first version of PPG, I like to use both since the 1st version is lighter on CPU.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 am

Machinesworking wrote:
sporkles wrote:Can anyone explain to me why there's apparently a need for a dedicated supersaw synth? Zebra's 11 saw waves are not enouh?
See my post about a single synth trying to cover all bases. Zebras 11 setting is more for basic thickening, and its their first attempt.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes out. There's a lot more to the whole supersaw thing than just adding oscillators.

Plus, besides maybe crowding a market with more choices, Urs and co. certainly haven't done anything half assed. 8)
Indeed, not all detuned-phase-shifted-multiplied oscillators are born equal. Not that I would know the details of why, I'll let u-he take care of that. Looking forward to Hive - great name, and I expect nothing but the very finest from Urs and co.

I was playing around with Diva last night, and came upon a preset by Howard, forgot what it's called (at work now), but it was an extremely punchy and crisp drum patch. Superb for dramatic/orchestral drums. I'm thinking of buying Diva now just to multi-sample those into a drumrack with different velocity zones and the lot. Extremely playable, from what could be substituted as your "kick" right up to your "hihats". Only one zone as well I think. Just awesome really. Sits great in the mix, has a lovely bottom end, and is just all-round one of the best synthesized drumpatches I've heard yet.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 pm

@tedlogan, the only reason I don't own Diva is because I've owned a Memorymoog forever, and about 5 years ago I bought an Oberheim Xpander.
My analog needs are covered really, so Diva is redundant. The emulation of the filters in the Polivoks though, that would do it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:12 pm

I probably wouldn't consider buying Diva either if I owned any analog hardware. I was eyeing modulars just after I got Bazille, and then decided that would be madness very many reasons, two main ones being I love saving my patches, and the amount of money involved, and Bazille sounds amazing. I also thought of saving up for a Voyager XL before quickly coming to my senses realising it's simply gearlust and that I don't need it.

Far in the back of my head I am thinking of a Minibrute though. It's not expensive, and I was sold on the sound after seeing a video of the one guy from Portishead playing around with it emerging with some lovely grit. Nice and portable too.

Anyway, I've just redeemed the coupon - I opted for The Dark Zebra for now. Was only £45 ! And since I'm using Zebra a lot more again, it seemed like the right choice. Can't wait to try the resonator and to study Howard's patches.

it has just finished downloading, SPLENDID!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 am

^^^ Probably going to break down and get Diva with the coupon. I'm spending a month in SF CA again away from my hardware! :x

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 am

tedlogan wrote:I probably wouldn't consider buying Diva either if I owned any analog hardware.
I have three analogs, 2 are mono though, which is a big reason I bought Diva. Even my poly (roland alpha juno 2) only has 6 voice poly, so with Diva I can surpass that.

But Dark Zebra is killer, and I don't even look at the presets really. Other than to be mesmerized at what I don't know about sound design.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:50 am

Three questions about Zebra 3:

Is Zebra 3 going to have those Diva filters like Dark Zebra?

If not, will Dark Zebra be available as an add-on?

Is Dark Zebra too CPU intesnsive? I know it is much more than normal Zebra, but is it a pain like Diva or Bazille in High Quality mode?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:26 am

ImNotDedYet wrote:
tedlogan wrote:I probably wouldn't consider buying Diva either if I owned any analog hardware.
But Dark Zebra is killer, and I don't even look at the presets really. Other than to be mesmerized at what I don't know about sound design.
Yeah, I'm glad I finally have it. Love the Diva filters, still have to explore the resonator more, and Howard's presets are gorgeous. Great learning tool, and lots of fun to play around with. Often in his patches, you'd spot the simplest tweak or modulation assigned, but which changes the overall sound and patch-expressiveness/playability dramatically.
Martin Gifford wrote:Three questions about Zebra 3:

Is Dark Zebra too CPU intesnsive? I know it is much more than normal Zebra, but is it a pain like Diva or Bazille in High Quality mode?
- I have no idea. I'm sure it will have superb filters whatever they may be.

- hmm, don't know either. I doubt it very much. Zebra 2 will always be there to use DZ though.

- It only gives me trouble when I use the Diva filters, also dependent on the rest of the patch it seems. Since you cannot enable "Multicore" as in Diva, it can eat your CPU a bit. You can lower the filter quality from Divine to Great or Fast, and simply render at Divine mode.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:Three questions about Zebra 3:

Zebra 3 will not have the Diva filters. It will have new filters using the new tech. For example, see Bazille. The Bazille filter uses less CPU than the Diva filters because it is not modeling specific non-linear behaviors of a specific classic analogue filter. But quality wise it is awesome. I find the Bazille filters to be the best software filters I have ever used... so that bodes well for Zebra 3.

Dark Zebra is possibly going to still be available, but it will still be based on Zebra 2 (Zebra 3 is a completely re-write).

I find Dark Zebra too CPU intensive... meaning, when using the Diva filters... otherwise it is the same as Zebra. I rarely use the Diva filters in HZ. There is no multi-core option and Zebra patches when using a bunch of modules can already use a chunk of cpu.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Speaking of filters... listen to the second of these Bazille examples. The sound shaping and character is mainly from the filter... sequenced modulation of the filter output added to itself then fed back into the filter input and cutoff modulated by the sequencer plus modmapper.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B75.mp3

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B78.mp3

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:50 pm

deva wrote:But quality wise it is awesome. I find the Bazille filters to be the best software filters I have ever used... so that bodes well for Zebra 3.
They are amazing, I agree.
deva wrote:Speaking of filters... listen to the second of these Bazille examples. The sound shaping and character is mainly from the filter... sequenced modulation of the filter output added to itself then fed back into the filter input and cutoff modulated by the sequencer plus modmapper.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B75.mp3

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B78.mp3
Love B78.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:59 am

sporkles wrote:Can anyone explain to me why there's apparently a need for a dedicated supersaw synth? Zebra's 11 saw waves are not enouh?
Urs sees a market for a synth that is easier to use than Zebra with tailored sound for EDM and trance that uses less CPU than Sylenth1 and works in all formats. Hive's supersaw will have more saws than any super saw synth ever made for a small portion of your CPU that is all down to coding it to sacrifice certain things zebra has to favour super saws.
Last edited by XSIMan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

login

Post by login » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 am

I just hope its good enough for an "sketch" synth which I can use in my laptop.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:23 am

login wrote:I just hope its good enough for an "sketch" synth which I can use in my laptop.
IMO there is always room for a good quality sounding softsynth that can easily be mapped to controllers to get somewhat the feel of hardware.
Most simple synths sound simple, but a lot of times I'll want something where the texture/timbre doesn't overshadow the notes I'm playing, and something fat, with moderate CPU would be perfect, especially in a rack with third party FX. Sometimes it's not the synth itself you want to be adding in reverb delay etc.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 am

get ready, the Hive is coming! http://www.u-he.com/cms/hive
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums