Better than Omnisphere?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Better than Omnisphere?

Post by rbro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I use Omnisphere quote a bit in my work, especially for pads and evolving ambient soundscapes etc., but I'm looking for something new. I already own Alchemy and Komplete 9 (might upgrade to 10), but I always find myself coming back to Omnisphere....... Anything new-ish that rivals Omnisphere out there for ambient pads and the like?

beats me

Re: Better than Omnisphere?

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I take it you’re a preset abuser. Just sayin cause you can’t find something new and exciting in Omnisphere, Komplete 9, and Alchemy. You should be set for life with those.

Maybe download the new Komplete Kontrol plugin that gives you access to all the sounds in Komplete 9 in one plugin with a tagged browser. Drill down with the tags to a type sound you are looking for and you’ll probably find some cool sounds in something like Reaktor or Absynth that you wouldn’t have found if left to your own devices.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Alchemy or Absynth are the only ones I would recommend personally, but you already have those :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 pm

There’s also some really nice pad expansion packs for Alchemy.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Nothing like Omnisphere some odd strange sounds in there but it's mostly samples. I use it with u-he synths. theres lots of free presets to add to them and paid ones. u-he synths are far more tweakable.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 pm

I'd feel comfortable simply saying No, there is nothing Newer nor nothing better.

The only thing I'd have suggested is getting Komplete, but you already have that.

I'd say dig deeper into the tools you've got already, but then I'd seem like a dick. :wink:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:15 pm

mholloway wrote: I'd say dig deeper into the tools you've got already, but then I'd seem like a dick. :wink:

I was already a dick so that nobody else has to be. :wink:

In fairness I’m mostly a preset abuser myself, with some slight tweaks. That’s why I recommended getting the new free Komplete Kontrol plugin that wraps all the NI plugins and presets into a single plugin. The tag browser is great for finding new presets you’ve never heard before.

rbro

Post by rbro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 pm

beats me wrote:
mholloway wrote: I'd say dig deeper into the tools you've got already, but then I'd seem like a dick. :wink:

In fairness I’m mostly a preset abuser myself, with some slight tweaks. That’s why I recommended getting the new free Komplete Kontrol plugin that wraps all the NI plugins and presets into a single plugin. The tag browser is great for finding new presets you’ve never heard before.

Yes, I just downloaded and installed that yesterday and am playing around with it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 pm

rbro wrote:
beats me wrote:

Yes, I just downloaded and installed that yesterday and am playing around with it.

Cool. I played with it briefly and it spit up some Reaktor ensembles I didn’t even know I had. Should also be great with the automap to the 8 most common parameters people tweak if you’re not much of a sound designer yourself.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 pm

that browser is definitely useful for the reasons stated (komplete kontrol), but WHY OH WHY is the window with the list of presets so damn small?? So much scrolling just to get around in there, ugh.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:22 pm

You may want to look into hardware synths. I have an old Yamaha EX5 which is great for evolving pads and soundscapes. Also something like a Roland V-Synth would probably be pretty good for this too. Newer workstations like the Korg Kronos could also be a good (but expensive) option. I don't have one anymore but I plan to get another; Access virus could also be a very good choice, thousands of presets and plenty of modulation options to create that type of stuff. You could go for a Snow which would keep the price down but give you the same synth engine as it's bigger brothers.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Absynth / Mutate etc

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm

mholloway wrote:that browser is definitely useful for the reasons stated (komplete kontrol), but WHY OH WHY is the window with the list of presets so damn small?? So much scrolling just to get around in there, ugh.

Driving me nuts. I keep trying to stretch it somehow. If you change the view to Edit I believe it gets a bit bigger, but still it's clunky and small.

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Liam wrote:Absynth / Mutate etc
What is Mutate?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Zebra2

:oops:

8)