Bitwig now has the gold standard in PDC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vance

Bitwig now has the gold standard in PDC

Post by Vance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:49 am

Bitwig's 1.1 update has overhauled its PDC engine, and now it's basically the gold standard of any DAW I'm familiar with...

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig_1up.html

Ableton really needs to lift its game in this regard because Bitwig has shown that a bulletproof PDC scheme is possible in a Live-like DAW.

We *really* need to eliminate this issue, it's really holding Ableton back IMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tstw68U-24w

Vance

Re: Bitwig now has the gold standard in PDC

Post by Vance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:50 am

Another illustration of the issue Live has with PDC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-kL9O74so8

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 am

:x
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 am

Vance wrote:Bitwig's 1.1 update has overhauled its PDC engine, and now it's basically the gold standard of any DAW I'm familiar with...

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig_1up.html

Ableton really needs to lift its game in this regard because Bitwig has shown that a bulletproof PDC scheme is possible in a Live-like DAW.

We *really* need to eliminate this issue, it's really holding Ableton back IMO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tstw68U-24w
You're correct that Ableton needs to do something with regards to PDC, but you also have to realize Bitwig's code base to fix potentially deep-seated things in it's code is much smaller as well. The PDC issue has nothing to do with whether it can be fixed in a Live-like DAW, but can it be fixed without wrecking all kinds of other things in Live's codebase, which has a lot more functionality built on top of it due to its age.

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:45 am

Yep I'm sure part of the problem is how old Ableton's code base is, but regardless of the technical reasons behind it, the PDC issue is a major drawback on workflow and my ability to produce results using Ableton, and if other DAWs are nailing it then Ableton has every chance of losing users...

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:46 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 am

I mean ableton still has a way larger user base and no one is complaining to the point of not using ableton. people are still using it to get professional results. the question is, is why are we settling for this as a whole user community? I honestly have never really used FL in my life but a friend of mine showed me a video of the FL 12 beta and they are trying to enter the mac os x market (No promises, they are trying really hard though to recode) point is they are showing their users all of these things with videos and letting them know on the forums. Im starting to think im about that life.

I know ableton is hard at work trying to tackle pdc. I wish they would do stuff like image line and give us status reports instead of not releasing a .1 update for over a year now. BETA releases have been laughable over the last few months. Retina and bug fixes for random ass controllers and shit. Why are they keeping us in the dark... please ableton let us know whats going on with PDC.

Companies like FL releasing on mac, bitwig having amazing PDC not to mention a team of Devs that is really EASY to contact and talk to directly via email, Even DAWs like Studio One which many see as a possibly dying DAW would just take a swift set of new features to take users from ableton. I just dont see ableton doing anything big for PDC anytime soon, they will probably tease us with some shit at NAMM.

That crazy rant being said, bitwig has its problems. Someone just posted a problem on the forums that was related to a a 512 buffer size inducing REALLY bad quality in the audio engine. Bitwig still has some hairs to get rid of before they sculpt that perfect DAW. It will be way better than ableton in due time. Either ableton fucking drops our jaws soon or a lot of other companies are about too. but ableton has always been in the dark soooo whooo knowssss

Love to both Ableton and Bitwig...

on the real WHY DIDNT ABLETON JUST LET THE DEVS THAT STARTED BITWIG RECODE ABLETONS>>>>>

ash1

Post by ash1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:48 am

bitwig is looking pretty sweet at the moment and the integration of push is pretty close to ableton

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:14 am

It's really pretty cool. I'm not saying it's replacing live, but if you are looking for a fresh perspective, then it's worth taking a look.

But, it's not w/o it's issues.....check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqAXWJzc ... e=youtu.be

What host doesn't have fucking issues? Can you name it? I don't think so. It doesn't exist. My interest in bitwig is stuff like bounce/bounce in place and the manipulation of audio at really deep levels. And some of the workflow stuff (like being able to start a track at a specific db (( no live is not the same )) and I love the inspector) and editing at the clip level is certainly a welcome improvement. And maybe it's worth mentioning that the clip/arrangement is a bit more integrated.

PDC? It wasn't a huge issue for me in live the way I use it. It is nice to know that the advanced automation in bitwig will do what it's supposed to and not cause headaches.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

i dont have problems like this when i make music....i ...then again i dont even know what pdc stands for .

ignorance is bliss.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:39 am

BW is version 1... give them a time. They need several months, ah I mean several years.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

uh uh uh, I don't jump on daw bandwagons easily these days ;)

Just demo it yourself, look up some viddys and see if it's for you. Go on.....