What does the light red Arm button mean?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

What does the light red Arm button mean?

Post by Citizen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

This has been bugging me since I got Live 9. What's the difference between the bright red regular record arm button, and the light red one?

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: What does the light red Arm button mean?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

I noticed this when I got Push

Tracks that are in focus of Push don't seem to need to be record armed for push to play thru, seems like a bug more than a helpful workflow attribute

I could def be wrong but I noticed the difference awhile back. I'm still waiting on 9.0.3 to really get to work with push. Too many retarded Push related thing to actually accomplish a good ulitization of the tool in 9.0.2

Come on Abe's work it out, Ive had 9 since march 5th and Push since march 30th and theyre both stil too problematic for my artist needs.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for that. It's still a it of a mystery to me. Can anyone offer a definite explanation?

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 am

Anyone?

vanhaze

Post by vanhaze » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 am

The Session Record Button (the light red /orange one on top of the Session Window) serves 2 purposes:

1) Making it possible to record more than 1 clip at once.
2) Making it possible to overdub 1 clip, or overdub more clips at once

Lemme explain these 2:

Let's say you have 2 midi tracks in Session View, with no clips in it.
Record arm both midi tracks (holding down CTRL key or CMD key on mac) and pushing both red record arm buttons.
Click the + Button, on top of the Session Window.
This enables MIDI overdub recording.

Click the uppermost clipslot in midi track 1(or the one in midi track 2, or scene 1)
Now push the light red Session Record button.
Now you can see that BOTH uppermost empty clipslots in BOTH midi tracks get recorded.
(appearing RED triangles in these 2 clipslots, meaning that they get recorded)
So hit some midi notes, which get recorded in BOTH clips at once.

Now hit the light red Session Record Button again.
The 2 red triangles in the 2 clips turn green, meaning that they are in play mode now.
Hit the light red Session Record Button again.
The 2 green rectangles turn red again, meaning that midi can be recorded again in these 2 clips and the midi data is ADDED to the existing midi data in the 2 clips.

This overdubbing method, (by pressing the light red Session Record on and off repeatedly) works also for just one midi track that is record armed instead of 2 (or more).

Hope this helps abit ..
Rob van Hees
Macbook Pro 15", 8 Gig Ram, Mavericks 10.9, Novation Impulse, Maschine MKII, Live 9.1 (latest beta 64bit), Logic Pro X 10.04, Protools 11.02, just too many plugins.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm

what about the track record button having two shades of red? there's OFF, dark red, and bright red

Any ideas on that?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm

the light red is only on the selected track...
unless another track is explicitly armed.
the pinkish record enable means the selected midi/instrument track is auto-armed..
when hitting session record it will record a clip/overdub on that track

Yoko_Ono

Post by Yoko_Ono » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am

I figured it out. The light red arm button only appears, when Push is in Notemode. Switch back to Session Mode (The to buttons above the cursors with push), if you want to for example overdub automation. Then Ableton wont record on the track but just overdub the automation, when you hit record. Hope I could help.
jk

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:15 pm

It is so easy to explain, but you all make it difficult.

The regular record button is to record your session clips into the arrangement. If you work in the arrangement, you will record all your clips and automations there with this button and nothing more.

The light red button on the right is to record your clips in the session view. If you stop him, he goes into the play mode and if you push the NEW button beside, another scene will prepair to record a new clip, if you push the light record button again.

So why it is such a mystery????????????

The ligth red button is the new session record button and the regular red button is the arrangement record button.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I think he's talking about the record arm buttons beneath each track. Could be wrong tho.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 am

silversurfer, please refrain from being condescending, especially when you aren't even providing a relevant answer.
the question is not about the automation record button. the question is about the track arm button and the difference between the light red mode and the solid red mode.
I notice this on Push, just as the second poster mentioned. I can't figure out the meaning of the light red mode either.

i found an image online that shows both arm mode colors (note: i am not hosting this image so it may go down at some point):

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:38 am

I'm pretty sure light red/pink is autoarm.. ie. it arms whatever track is highlighted so you can switch instruments easily. The dark red keeps a track armed even when it is not highlighted/selected.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 am

The FUCK with the neckro about "condescending!" :lol:

As for what it is, it's likely a push thing. Seems to be what is "in focus" for push. Not 100% sure.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 am

no one seems to know......
personally I haven't noticed a difference. might as well be solid red. certainly seems like a push thing though.
and I actually haven't ever seen two tracks armed at the same time (as in the screen grab I found). Not sure how that works either...

frannycas

Post by frannycas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am

I'm also confused about this. Some of the tracks when selected display this light red record arm, but some don't. I want them all to do it! Hooooww?