Add Locator keyboard shortcut

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Korhan

Add Locator keyboard shortcut

Post by Korhan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi there,

As far as I know, there is no keyboard shortcut for Add Locator. As this is a feature used frequently during editing audio, having a keyboard shortcut is kind of essential. Will this ever be implemented? Unless it has already been implemented but not yet made into the keyboard shortcuts list.

Thanks
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

JoshG567

Re: Add Locator keyboard shortcut

Post by JoshG567 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 pm

CTRL+K and key-map the Set locator button in the top right of arrangement to whatever key you want.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you Josh. This helps a lot. On the other hand, it points out to a design flaw: in the menu you "add a locator". on the user interface, you "set a locator". And you have to map a key to this for every new Live set you create, right?
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20 am

I have a template with the dozens of controls that I map because I don't want to do it with every new set.

What sucks is when I come up with a sweet new mapping and it's a pain in the ass to back-propagate it to my OLD sets.

I wish mappings were more modular in Live, like they could be saved like clip files or something to be easily copied/pasted from set to set.

Nilzie

Post by Nilzie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:41 am

Plus one on this - adding a locator with a shortcut is kind of essential to get a good workflow... Thanks for the advice with creating a K-function for setting locators!
MacBook Pro - 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5 - OSX 10.12.6 - RME Babyface - Ableton Live 10.1.5

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm

I want to be able to set a permanent keyboard shortcut for Add Locator.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I like the idea of being able to copy mappings from one Live set to many sets, but in practice, I can imagine that it might be difficult to manage without some kind of complex interface.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

^ You can save a set as the default template for newly created projects (preferences -> file/folder -> save current set as template). I've keymapped "|" to "tap tempo", and "q" for the note preview in the piano roll, for example.

Edit: I realise you're probably talking about already existing projects, which is indeed much more time-consuming and tedious.

I never noticed the locator buttons before, so I've added keymappings to my template. Cheers!

rduck

Post by rduck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 pm

I see how old this thread is, but it started me down the path of a solution to maintaining keyboard shortcuts in Ableton between new sets AND add new shortcuts to old sets. The answer was in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62499

For Apple users instructions are here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25377?locale=en_US
The topic is "macOS Sierra: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps" but there are ways for older operating systems too.

For locators I added two "Menu Titles" - Create->Add Locator and also Create->Delete Locator - both mapped to the same keystroke. Ableton seems to know which one to use.