Any success with oktopush?

Discuss Push with other users.
cambria1295

Any success with oktopush?

Post by cambria1295 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

Ive just downloaded the isotonik oktopush max4live package, I thought I would check this out before purchasing the newer apc40 mII. I am still exploring what to do and find their videos and manual not to helpful. Im curious to see if anyone has any success with it, how do they like it, and anything along those lines.

Should i continue with this or just drop it?
Thanks all

irrelevance

Re: Any success with oktopush?

Post by irrelevance » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 am

The latest update crashes live every time for me. I'm win 7 32bit live 9.1.6.

I stuck with beta testing on push and pxt and I have to say for me to be a part of the development was a cool experience. So if you wanna have the opportunity to input your ideas and receive feedback and be a part of the whole product development phase stick with it.

Also oktopush is designed around a project template. I'm not so great using others templates in live tbh. If I have to adapt my thinking and approach too much it turns me off.
I'm pretty much beta'd out too :roll: While I love getting my hands dirty with new creative tools it's more important right now for me to maintain a stable environment that lets me create without hassle or too much head scratching at this stage.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 am

irrelevance wrote:The latest update crashes live every time for me. I'm win 7 32bit live 9.1.6.

I stuck with beta testing on push and pxt and I have to say for me to be a part of the development was a cool experience. So if you wanna have the opportunity to input your ideas and receive feedback and be a part of the whole product development phase stick with it.

Also oktopush is designed around a project template. I'm not so great using others templates in live tbh. If I have to adapt my thinking and approach too much it turns me off.
I'm pretty much beta'd out too :roll: While I love getting my hands dirty with new creative tools it's more important right now for me to maintain a stable environment that lets me create without hassle or too much head scratching at this stage.
I'm not in the pxt beta at this time. Can you give a glimpse on what new features are in the works?
I had made quite a few feature requests in that wishlist thread over at beatwise, would be cool if any of them came to pass soon 8)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:54 am

cambria1295 wrote:Ive just downloaded the isotonik oktopush max4live package, I thought I would check this out before purchasing the newer apc40 mII. I am still exploring what to do and find their videos and manual not to helpful. Im curious to see if anyone has any success with it, how do they like it, and anything along those lines.

Should i continue with this or just drop it?
Thanks all
Hey there!

Always looking for feedback both good and bad!

I'm currently working on the next release of Oktopush which will add 6 banks of user editable encoders so that the Push can be used in a more traditional DJ Mixing basis...

After that there's one final feature to add before i split the project...

The first option which is what's current is the pre-configured template with the first scene of effects, this requires a routing system that's coded into the device and is flexible to work with up to a 4 channel soundcard...

Prompted by discussions with Irrelevance the second option will be a standalone device that can be dropped into any template and gives the user configurability options of the editor scenes... We've always worked on the principle of feedback shaping our products and we hope people see this as a good thing. Oktopush was our first project that we released with just a part completed, it's an experiment and for the most part i think it's been successful based on the amount of emails i've received...

32 Bit is really unadvised for the amount of objects within the device it will quickly exceed the RAM on startup, we're working on this but to give all the required options uses a lot of RAM at start up....

Would love to know what you'd like to see more of in the manual and videos in the meantime??

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:35 am

S4racen wrote: Prompted by discussions with Irrelevance the second option will be a standalone device that can be dropped into any template and gives the user configurability options of the editor scenes...
I think this should be the way to go. I mean I may myself not be in the market for Octopush at the moment, but if I can't work in my own template, I know that I never will.
Would love to know what you'd like to see more of in the manual and videos in the meantime??
A video series that runs through all the options and shows them being used in a close to real life situation would almost certainly help with deciding on your product. So far it's kinda difficult to tell what it actually does and what I would want it for.

just my 2ct

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:08 am

TomViolenz wrote:
S4racen wrote: Prompted by discussions with Irrelevance the second option will be a standalone device that can be dropped into any template and gives the user configurability options of the editor scenes...
I think this should be the way to go. I mean I may myself not be in the market for Octopush at the moment, but if I can't work in my own template, I know that I never will.
A video series that runs through all the options and shows them being used in a close to real life situation would almost certainly help with deciding on your product. So far it's kinda difficult to tell what it actually does and what I would want it for.

just my 2ct
We try and cover as many bases as possible, it seems with the Push it's got a larger pool of users of a more advanced nature that want configuration options rather than baked in effects (which were the most popular with APC40 users)

The plan is certainly to produce more videos of a more detailed variety, you'll excuse me that i don't make a start on these before i've completed the product as with each release we've made improvements...

We try and give examples of how it can be used, the first videos are always generally about getting things set up which I feel we've covered so far...

Cheers
D

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:11 am

TomViolenz wrote:
I'm not in the pxt beta at this time. Can you give a glimpse on what new features are in the works?
I had made quite a few feature requests in that wishlist thread over at beatwise, would be cool if any of them came to pass soon 8)
Sorry no. I haven't been active in the beta for some time. Last little oddity I foundI think was pre 1.1.2/1.0.5 in drum mode. Informed support, stray had a fix the next day! Everything ptx/+ works as it should and have had no problems.
S4racen wrote:
I'm currently working on the next release of Oktopush which will add 6 banks of user editable encoders so that the Push can be used in a more traditional DJ Mixing basis...

After that there's one final feature to add before i split the project...

Prompted by discussions with Irrelevance the second option will be a standalone device that can be dropped into any template and gives the user configurability options of the editor scenes... We've always worked on the principle of feedback shaping our products and we hope people see this as a good thing. Oktopush was our first project that we released with just a part completed, it's an experiment and for the most part i think it's been successful based on the amount of emails i've received...

32 Bit is really unadvised for the amount of objects within the device it will quickly exceed the RAM on startup, we're working on this but to give all the required options uses a lot of RAM at start up....

Cheers
D
Good to know. I'm working up the courage for another complete reinstall of a dual boot system to 64bit...think I'll need some of that blue meth! :evil:

Yeh some walk through videos showing some of the ideas and techniques that can be employed would go down well.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 am

S4racen wrote: We try and give examples of how it can be used, the first videos are always generally about getting things set up which I feel we've covered so far...
As a side note, not specific to you: These are the videos on any product I never watch.
If it's indeed complicated to set it up, this information is much better placed in a pdf IMO.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
S4racen wrote: We try and give examples of how it can be used, the first videos are always generally about getting things set up which I feel we've covered so far...
As a side note, not specific to you: These are the videos on any product I never watch.
If it's indeed complicated to set it up, this information is much better placed in a pdf IMO.
I work in Sales training and have many years experienc eof learning styles, what works for some doesn't for others...

Visual explanations are essential for some people as they just won't read manuals, the same vice versa...

The manual needs updating for the mapping scenes, however the device is fully annotatd as well for people wanting to have guidance when using it...

Cheers
D

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Well I managed to get system upgraded to 64 bit over the weekend had the memory and the system disk so figured there's no time like the present. So the project is eating up about 4gb alone and takes about 25 secs to load on my i7 4790 3.6ghz 8gb machine. Performance once loaded can't say as I need to read manual :? and tweaking and pulling at things isn't working. lol

Will be interesting to pull the setup apart as it seems well thought out and is bound to give me some useful tips on good set building. Where are the annotations S4recen?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:45 am

Videos the best place to start if you haven't read the manual?

It's not a simple set up though, so pressing and twisting aint gonna work ;-)

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 am

irrelevance wrote: Where are the annotations S4recen?
Sorry missed this, open up Lives help view (arrow at the bottom left of the screen) and hover over the controls in say the editor window...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:25 am

S4racen wrote: 32 Bit is really unadvised for the amount of objects within the device it will quickly exceed the RAM on startup, we're working on this but to give all the required options uses a lot of RAM at start up....
I'm looking through some M4L threads right now regarding stability issues. I don't believe anyone should need to use 64-bit as a solution to memory demands. When that caveat arises that one should reexamine their code. We're processing audio and running music controllers. This is lightweight stuff.

My 2cts.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks for your 2 Cts, really appreciate it, however as you can see from the majority of Ableton Max4Live devices and instruments in their store they are all generally high CPU usage so it goes with the territory of Max4Live...

I'm always looking for ways to reduce code, however when it comes to Live objects that are required either to store data or be MIDI mapped there's limited workarounds...

Ableton itself can struggle with the limitations on RAM at 32bit, the oft reported out of memory error has seemingly stopped since the move to 64bit, things progress so maybe you should look forwards ;-)

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 am

19oclock wrote: I don't believe anyone should need to use 64-bit as a solution to memory demands. When that caveat arises that one should reexamine their code. We're processing audio and running music controllers. This is lightweight stuff.
Lol, that must be why I worked so hard to finally upgrade to a quad i7 with 16gigs of RAM :lol: