Pro Q 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Pro Q 2

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:FWIW, I think Pro-MB is in a league of it's own in terms of being transparent and giving you multiband dynamics processing. I normally don't like using MB compression unless I really need to (1-2 times a year?), but Pro-MB is so useful that I use it more and more. Changing the stereo width of individual bands is really useful for all the "way too wide" mixes I get sent.

Interesting. Would you say for somebody who isn’t a seasoned professional as yourself it makes things easier or more complicated? Meaning it can do some of the heavy lifting for somebody who doesn’t have the trained ears or is it more a tool somebody who really wants to zero in on some subtle troubled areas?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Definitely for someone who knows how compression really works and is trying to fix a specific problem. There's so many options and and controls, you could destroy you sound really fast with it too.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:Definitely for someone who knows how compression really works and is trying to fix a specific problem. There's so many options and and controls, you could destroy you sound really fast with it too.

Sweet. I’m definitely not getting it now. :)

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:FWIW, I think Pro-MB is in a league of it's own in terms of being transparent and giving you multiband dynamics processing. I normally don't like using MB compression unless I really need to (1-2 times a year?), but Pro-MB is so useful that I use it more and more. Changing the stereo width of individual bands is really useful for all the "way too wide" mixes I get sent.
Tarekith, but you can also use Pro Q (version 1) for the same task, no need to buy Pro MB solely for adjusting stereo width of individual bands. Pro Q has the "Channel mode" setting that can be set to Mid/Side and then each of the bands stereo channels can get a reduced gain in either Bell or Notch modes.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 pm

locojohn wrote:
Tarekith, but you can also use Pro Q (version 1) for the same task, no need to buy Pro MB solely for adjusting stereo width of individual bands. Pro Q has the "Channel mode" setting that can be set to Mid/Side and then each of the bands stereo channels can get a reduced gain in either Bell or Notch modes.

Andrejs
He's talking about dynamics processing - compression, level setting for multiple bands, not just level setting.

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 am

Anyone experiencing GUI slowness when using Pro-Q 2? Doesn't happen in Logic X or Bigwig. Only in Ableton Live, both in 9.1.7b2 and 9.1.6. I've submitted a bug report but am wondering if this is a problem on my end.