A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Re: A soundcard with no issues at all ?

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 am

Motu, stable drivers ? :lol:
honestly the worst experience i've had. i owned a M-audio FW410, a Presonus FP 10, a focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and a RME UCX which all were much more reliable than the Motu 828x, or the Motu Microlite (Midi interface, buggy as hell).
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

rosti

Post by rosti » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

chapelier fou wrote:Motu, stable drivers ? :lol:
honestly the worst experience i've had. i owned a M-audio FW410, a Presonus FP 10, a focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and a RME UCX which all were much more reliable than the Motu 828x, or the Motu Microlite (Midi interface, buggy as hell).
haha :D Maby i should concider the Focusrite then.. My Ultralite was quite stable before the gory harakiri. There was some issues like OSX volume control wouldn't work all the time etc. but most of the time everything worked fine...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 pm

For your information, my Saffire pro 40 experience :

The soundcard has a correct sound, great price and 10 outs.
The mixing software is rather confusing to set up.

Main problem is build quality, despite of the advices i've got :

The first unit i bought started to have problems after two weeks. Output level of several outs was low, and, more important, unpredictable.
Changed the unit between two gigs.
Second units seemed to work ok. Now one output is no longer symmetrical. The socket seems to be the problem, but that's not easy to fix.

In a word, run away from this soundcard.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Crap, i considerd this one aswell, and thought hell should i pay 800€ for an RME, when you can have the "same" stuff for 400€?

I always had problems with my sound cards (but very stable computer). Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately there are not many RME on the 2nd hand market, which i think is a very positive sign.
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:44 pm

My Saffire Pro 40 hasn't had any issues running a thunderbolt adaptor. My specs are similar except I do not have SSD. There are only 8 outputs though. Honestly I've never owned a soundcard that didn't have some sort of issue though. I don't think something like that exists. Especially these days.....most stuff doesn't work as advertised.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:24 pm

login wrote: You shouldn't be using sleep mdoe with audio interfaces, it's always a problem.
I have no such issues with the RME Babyface.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

invol wrote: Unbalanced would only be a problem if you need to run the cables more than 14'. Balanced is not inherently better sounding.
Strikingly often "Should" has to meet "Is". Before I switched from unbalanced to balanced for my monitors these very short cables picked up all kinds of noise and this with at least 2 different interfaces. All quiet now with balanced outs and ins.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone tried any of the Metric Halo in/out interfaces with live 9? The 2882? How are interfaces of this class holding up with Live?
Make some music!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 pm

ive been using a motu ultralite (pre-usb - i think its a mk2?) on thunderbolt - mbp '13 + mavericks no problems.. . ive heard from others that this ultralite is one of the most stable ones they ever made. good luck!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 am

joeyfivecents wrote:There are only 8 outputs though.
That's why they are labeled from 1 to 10 ! :)
invol wrote: Unbalanced would only be a problem if you need to run the cables more than 14'. Balanced is not inherently better sounding.
Yeah i'm only taking it on stage.

Anyway, i must say here that maybe there were a user problem. Something i didn't think of.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 am

I double checked RME support forum, they even support their devices build 2001 ! /Similar to the support of Metric Halo.
My next one will be definitely an RME Interface, NI support does not fix the driver issues on the Komplete Audio 6, it does not get recognized after bootup sometimes, also i am not sure if its the cause of Live crashing unexpectedly while using an internal effect on the return bus. If you buy cheap you often buy twice.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Sternenlicht wrote:I double checked RME support forum, they even support their devices build 2001 ! /Similar to the support of Metric Halo.
My next one will be definitely an RME Interface, NI support does not fix the driver issues on the Komplete Audio 6, it does not get recognized after bootup sometimes, also i am not sure if its the cause of Live crashing unexpectedly while using an internal effect on the return bus. If you buy cheap you often buy twice.
I've heard good about NI interfaces, but I'm not buying a low-priced card from them again. I also question their OS X support with drivers.

My next card will likely be RME (again) or Metric Halo. I haven't tested the latter with Live and not at all since 2005 or so, which is why I asked. Currently I don't need a new interface though.
Make some music!

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:34 pm

UA-1010 Octa-Capture sounds promising, can anybody comment on its usage with windows 7 64 bit?

I currently wonder what the issue is with Live and Virus TI , as its a second audio Interface - can live handle it ? Is it only possible with a sound server ? I.e. do i have to use Asio4all as a wrapper ? I think it would be the same, once the integration (Overbridge) for the Analog 4 is coming - Live could not handle the 2nd audio interface?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Sternenlicht wrote:once the integration (Overbridge) for the Analog 4 is coming - Live could not handle the 2nd audio interface?
I'm not sure, but I suppose it possibly would need to go via Rewire to handle multiple interfaces as you cam only select one interface within Live as far as I know. In the case of Elektron I would assume some plug-in would take care about the communication.

How does other systems with outboard hardware communicate with it? The simplest must be to use a plug-in as that works in any host and not rely on the DAW for audio interfaces. If you don't have another interface it's possible Overbridge will have the drivers needed supplied.
Make some music!

Ernest Meyer

Post by Ernest Meyer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:20 pm

It's been 10 years, but now Im thinking of replacing my Creamware card, oh it's had a lot of issues but it sounds so great. Now I have a Mac too, I was considering an external USB sound interface. Please could someone in the know chip in om whether USB drivers are any good now? Im sure its an old topic to you guys.