Not sure if bug or feature...

Discuss Push with other users.
Rhypht

Not sure if bug or feature...

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm

...but I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Here's what's going on:

I've got a drum loop clip playing. I duplicate the drum clip, then go record a bassline. After I finish the bassline, I go back to Session view, select the duplicated drum clip with shift+tapping the clip, then go into note mode for that clip (so I've got the original drum clip and the bassline playing at this point, but I have the duplicated drum clip in note view)

Now, I use the step sequencer to draw in some hi-hats. Except; even though I selected the duplicated clip, I can still see the green step-sequencer running. If I draw in with any of the pads, it doesn't play the drum that I have selected, but instead the bass from the bassline I just recorded with. Every pad will play one semitone on the bass, but ONLY in the step sequencer. If I just tap the pad, it will play the correct drum sound.

Not sure if I'm in some crazy mode where I can use a drum rack's step sequencer to step-sequence a different instrument? Or maybe it's just a really crazy bug.

If it is a bug, I'll definitely contact support about it. I just wanted to check here first to see if I maybe am doing something to enter the a different mode on the step sequencer.

Stromkraft

Re: Not sure if bug or feature...

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Rhypht wrote:...but I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Here's what's going on:

I've got a drum loop clip playing. I duplicate the drum clip, then go record a bassline. After I finish the bassline,
You're causing this. Make sure the track you expect to play on is armed and that the other isn't. I routinely do what you describe and it always works.
Rhypht wrote: Except; even though I selected the duplicated clip, I can still see the green step-sequencer running.
I never tried this, but what I expect to see is the track that is being played. It would be nice to be able to edit a non-playing clip from Push. Currently I'm not sure if you can actually do that.

A tip is to save a new template when you figured out this one, so you always start with a default set up. I have my drum machine on track one in a drum rack with internal sends and effects returns and my bass on track two and 3 return tracks for laters (Reverb, Delay and Compression).
Make some music!

Rhypht

Re: Not sure if bug or feature...

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Stromkraft wrote: You're causing this. Make sure the track you expect to play on is armed and that the other isn't. I routinely do what you describe and it always works.
It is. I take care of that prior to starting the new clip.
Stromkraft wrote:
Rhypht wrote: Except; even though I selected the duplicated clip, I can still see the green step-sequencer running.
I never tried this, but what I expect to see is the track that is being played. It would be nice to be able to edit a non-playing clip from Push. Currently I'm not sure if you can actually do that.
You can. If you hold Select and tap on a clip in session view, then Note view will silently focus that clip without firing it. Then, if you hit Note view, you'll be seeing that clip.

I just learned about that the other day, definitely an invaluable tip.

The thing is, I've done this before and it's worked fine. I've even performed this exact song using the exact method described and it worked. It just seems like suddenly it's causing something else to happen, which is why I thought it was a bug.