Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kirk95

Re: Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Post by kirk95 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Same here... I have sets that I can load but... if I try to add a plugin or even save the set... 9.6 crashes... is there a beta that works? anywhere?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:40 pm

you can get the beta I believe which is version 9.1.7b3. It's listed on the "music and audio production" page.

kirk95

Post by kirk95 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 am

is there a place to download 9.15 again?
Last edited by kirk95 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kirk95

Post by kirk95 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 am

eyeknow wrote:you can get the beta I believe which is version 9.1.7b3. It's listed on the "music and audio production" page.
Is the beta more stable then 9.1.6? Need a confirm on that.

I mixed all day with tons of pluggins... and then 9.1.6 went into a crashing spree... I lost all my pluggin settings... have to start over. Very painfull!!!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:10 am

I run the beta 99.9% of the time. Frankly, they are really stable and if you run into an issue with the release (like in this case) you have it as a backup. They run side by side, so it's not like the beta kills off the main release.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to get old versions of software but I'm pretty sure you can.

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 am

9.1.6 is a crash monster for me. crashes in closing constantly. any suggestions?

kirk95

Post by kirk95 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm

eyeknow wrote:I run the beta 99.9% of the time. Frankly, they are really stable and if you run into an issue with the release (like in this case) you have it as a backup. They run side by side, so it's not like the beta kills off the main release.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to get old versions of software but I'm pretty sure you can.
Thanks for heads up. Installing the beta NOW!!

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 am

Hi,

We would of course really like to find the cause of the issues people are experiencing here. We would of course appreciate receiving this data via support, or reproduce this with the current beta 9.1.7b3 and submit a bug report via https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html

Here is a few pointers that would help us in tracking further:

1) If you installed OSX 10.10, please make sure all your third party plugins are 10.10 compatible. We have seen issues with plugins with a hardware front end, such as Arturia, NI maschine, Komplete Kontrol and a few other major manufacturers which are not 10.10 compatible yet. Please check the manufacturer website for this info. For a quick check, disable plugins in the file/folder preference in Live and reload sets, if this works, then you most likely have a crashing plugin in your folders. Sending in the crash packs to support will aid us in tracking these issues and communicate with third parties about such problems.

2) If you have a retina macbook, does opening Live in low resolution remedy the crashes (Find the Live app in the application folder, call up info (cmd+i), check the box that says 'Low resolution'

3) Resources - for Macs, the 9.1.6 & retina support will take up a little more resource. Please make sure you have sufficient memory and CPU in your activity monitor, for PC users verify this using the task manager.

4) Avoiding wrapped ASIO drivers. If you are using Asio4all, please try to reproduce the crashes using another driver (i.e MME or DirectS) since the ASIO4ALL is only a WDM driver wrapped in an ASIO shell.

5) 32 / 64 bit - Does the crashes you are experiencing happen with both versions. 64 bit can address more memory which might remedy some crashes, see bullet 2 & 3.

There can be numerous reasons why this is happening with 9.1.6, so to make the problems apparent to us, please get in touch with support and help us track this down. Mention to what extent you tried the solutions above, this will save some mails forth and back on the matter.
In worst case, support can also provide you with a 9.1.5 link, but we would like to have a clear picture of the errors you are seeing before doing so, since we would like to fix this for upcoming versions of course.

Best,
Mads

sonik777

Post by sonik777 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Are more Mac than PC users having issues?

*mild chuckle*

Sympathies of course. Are other DAW'S this late into their development having as many productivity crushing problems? And yes I understand Live is a different beast.

I'm still running 64 bit 9.1.2 (on a pc)which has been mostly smooth, because I'm a little concerned about updating...

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 pm

[mal] wrote:Hi,

We would of course really like to find the cause of the issues people are experiencing here. We would of course appreciate receiving this data via support, or reproduce this with the current beta 9.1.7b3 and submit a bug report via https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
Hello Mads,

I've sent 9 crash reports for versions 9.1.x to crashes@ableton.com since the beginning of 2014. Is this email address still being monitored by Ableton Support or do we now have to send our reports to support@ableton.com instead? I have a strange feeling that my reports went to void, considering we are still having crashes with version 9.1.6, although I had been receiving the formal "your crash report has been collected" response from Ableton. I believe the attached crash logs contain sufficient information for Ableton development team to sort out the issues, and if not, I do not see any reason why do you encourage to send you crash reports at all.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

kirk95

Post by kirk95 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:25 pm

sonik777 wrote:Are more Mac than PC users having issues?

*mild chuckle*

Sympathies of course. Are other DAW'S this late into their development having as many productivity crushing problems? And yes I understand Live is a different beast.

I'm still running 64 bit 9.1.2 (on a pc)which has been mostly smooth, because I'm a little concerned about updating...
I will verify Apple has completely lost it... the quality is gone! Every OSX update there are serious problems. For example, cut and paste works only some of the time on my Macs... iOS updates are the same deal - something is always broken.... Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave... Not to mention, NOTHING NEW since Steve left us - only copying of competitors products and smaller, thinner, faster..... very sad

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:31 pm

locojohn wrote:

Hello Mads,

I've sent 9 crash reports for versions 9.1.x to crashes@ableton.com since the beginning of 2014. Is this email address still being monitored by Ableton Support or do we now have to send our reports to support@ableton.com instead? I have a strange feeling that my reports went to void, considering we are still having crashes with version 9.1.6, although I had been receiving the formal "your crash report has been collected" response from Ableton. I believe the attached crash logs contain sufficient information for Ableton development team to sort out the issues, and if not, I do not see any reason why do you encourage to send you crash reports at all.

Andrejs
Hi,

Sending to crashes@ableton.com - we have a system monitoring this email and will tell us of urgent problems. This helps us build statistic and see where 'the fires are' so to say and is in no way a void. If you sent in the reports - thank you, very helpful!.

Support@ableton.com is for when you need assistance to actually resolve the crash or have a problem that is not related to a crash.

Hope this clears it up
Mads

kirk95

Post by kirk95 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi,

Sending to crashes@ableton.com - we have a system monitoring this email and will tell us of urgent problems. This helps us build statistic and see where 'the fires are' so to say and is in no way a void. If you sent in the reports - thank you, very helpful!.

Support@ableton.com is for when you need assistance to actually resolve the crash or have a problem that is not related to a crash.

Hope this clears it up
Mads
FYI, I have sent crash reports to both....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Here is a few pointers that would help us in tracking further:

1) If you installed OSX 10.10, please make sure all your third party plugins are 10.10 compatible. We have seen issues with plugins with a hardware front end, such as Arturia, NI maschine, Komplete Kontrol and a few other major manufacturers which are not 10.10 compatible yet. Please check the manufacturer website for this info. For a quick check, disable plugins in the file/folder preference in Live and reload sets, if this works, then you most likely have a crashing plugin in your folders. Sending in the crash packs to support will aid us in tracking these issues and communicate with third parties about such problems.

2) If you have a retina macbook, does opening Live in low resolution remedy the crashes (Find the Live app in the application folder, call up info (cmd+i), check the box that says 'Low resolution'

3) Resources - for Macs, the 9.1.6 & retina support will take up a little more resource. Please make sure you have sufficient memory and CPU in your activity monitor, for PC users verify this using the task manager.

4) Avoiding wrapped ASIO drivers. If you are using Asio4all, please try to reproduce the crashes using another driver (i.e MME or DirectS) since the ASIO4ALL is only a WDM driver wrapped in an ASIO shell.

5) 32 / 64 bit - Does the crashes you are experiencing happen with both versions. 64 bit can address more memory which might remedy some crashes, see bullet 2 & 3.

There can be numerous reasons why this is happening with 9.1.6, so to make the problems apparent to us, please get in touch with support and help us track this down. Mention to what extent you tried the solutions above, this will save some mails forth and back on the matter.
In worst case, support can also provide you with a 9.1.5 link, but we would like to have a clear picture of the errors you are seeing before doing so, since we would like to fix this for upcoming versions of course.

Best,
Mads
Hi Mads, you will be "pleased" (not really) to know the same old crash on start behaviour is still happening with the latest Beta. L9.1.7b3
I just sent a crashlog, obviously.

I also submitted this one to the bug tracker for the beta, as this is obviously now also a beta issue too.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 am

^ I've also experienced problems with both Live 9.1.6 and 9.1.7b3, and submitted crash reports.

Is there a 9.1.5 download available?