snapper vs. audiofinder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BarryFell

Post by BarryFell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Is there anything like these for PC?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:08 pm

The chick they used for the AF demo video has the oddest presentation voice I have ever heard. It changes tonality for no discernable reason. At times it sounds like a voice emulator that misreads punctuation.

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:18 pm

beats me wrote:The chick they used for the AF demo video has the oddest presentation voice I have ever heard. It changes tonality for no discernable reason. At times it sounds like a voice emulator that misreads punctuation.
Agreed. She freaks me out.

Daim

Post by Daim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

hm.. i wonder what the audioease guys did in the last 6 months after snapper was announced. propably they simply needed the time to figure out what price they can ask.

after such a long time i didn't expect bugs like aborting playback when u resize the window snapper is attached to.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:15 pm

With the amazing speakerphone plugin under their belt you do really have to wonder why it took so long to release snapper that is relatively basic and compared to AF is extremely limited. An employees pet project maybe?

employee 1: Dude, look what I did over the weekend.
employee 2: Cool, throw a name on it and we'll release it.

2pauluzz2

Re: snapper vs. audiofinder?

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 am

Apparently there is a bug in finder's quicklook when it comes to previewing audio. The preview will sound good the first time around, but it will be faded in from the second time onwards. I hit space bar to preview audio samples and I need to hear those first transients.

I ran into this with my new Mac Mini running OSX 10.9.1., I never had this issue with my Macbook Pro running 10.6.8.

I’m looking for a solution to this. Snapper seems like a great tool for previewing audio but the price of 59€ is hardly justifiable, considering the fact that the drag/drop feature already exists in Ableton by default.

Has anyone encountered this also, and is anyone aware of cheaper alternatives to Snapper’s preview functionality?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:27 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:Apparently there is a bug in finder's quicklook when it comes to previewing audio. The preview will sound good the first time around, but it will be faded in from the second time onwards. I hit space bar to preview audio samples and I need to hear those first transients.

I ran into this with my new Mac Mini running OSX 10.9.1., I never had this issue with my Macbook Pro running 10.6.8.

I’m looking for a solution to this. Snapper seems like a great tool for previewing audio but the price of 59€ is hardly justifiable, considering the fact that the drag/drop feature already exists in Ableton by default.

Has anyone encountered this also, and is anyone aware of cheaper alternatives to Snapper’s preview functionality?
like is mentioned in this thread a dozen times, Audiofinder, and no, there isn't anything cheaper than that.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I beta tested Snapper when they were first developing it and the best features were being able to preview from the Finder and to spot drag a selection from that preview into your DAW.

But I liked AudioFinder better for everything else, so I asked the AF guy to add those features and they were there within a few months, if not weeks.

The dude is very cool and open about feature requests and he works hard on the app.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:26 am

stringtapper wrote:I beta tested Snapper when they were first developing it and the best features were being able to preview from the Finder and to spot drag a selection from that preview into your DAW.

But I liked AudioFinder better for everything else, so I asked the AF guy to add those features and they were there within a few months, if not weeks.

The dude is very cool and open about feature requests and he works hard on the app.
That sums it up, AudioFinder is a good product. I need to use it to it's full potential for sure, I still feel somewhat lost in regards to it's search functions and the like.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 am

Snapper looks visually more appealing to me, and seems to be more on point with what I need. Upon first glance audiofinder seems to be a bit of an overkill. I'll demo both starting with Snapper due to the 100 day trial period. I'd rather not pay high prices to work around an OS bug, but the demo periods might persuade me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 19, 2015 7:41 pm

stringtapper wrote:I beta tested Snapper when they were first developing it and the best features were being able to preview from the Finder and to spot drag a selection from that preview into your DAW.

As my audio and loop library is growing I revisited these programs recently and with the demo of AF I didn’t get it to do either of those things. It runs as a separate application and I didn’t see any way to set it up so it would automatically open just by clicking on any audio file in the finder the way Snapper does. Also I tried clicking and dragging from AF to the desktop and nothing happened.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 19, 2015 8:07 pm

beats me wrote:

As my audio and loop library is growing I revisited these programs recently and with the demo of AF I didn’t get it to do either of those things. It runs as a separate application and I didn’t see any way to set it up so it would automatically open just by clicking on any audio file in the finder the way Snapper does. Also I tried clicking and dragging from AF to the desktop and nothing happened.
Hold control while dragging a selection to spot drag.

Select "Finder Selection" from the Library menu to preview from the Finder, although, yes, that doesn't make a window pop up below the finder like I remember Snapper doing (haven't used it for years).
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 19, 2015 9:32 pm

stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:

Hold control while dragging a selection to spot drag.

Select "Finder Selection" from the Library menu to preview from the Finder, although, yes, that doesn't make a window pop up below the finder like I remember Snapper doing (haven't used it for years).
Sounds like AF is still updating with new features but from initial appearances it seems like both applications are mostly just making sure they work on the current OS, or at least aren't actively advertising great new features.

Seems like Snapper is probably better for my occasional needs, quickly viewing a waveform without opening another application, making a selection area and dragging it to a DAW or desktop. I don’t need to tag, organize, and browse a massive audio library. Most of my audio/sample needs are handled with in-DAW or plugin options.