APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Regarding the problem of constantly initializing.

I found that totaly removing any recognition of the APC Mini in Lives preferences (No control surface script and all Midi port settings off) makes its use stable.

This could point to some issues with Live actually.

The good news is that you can still Midi assign all the buttons and faders (so I will keep it at least for another week to try if that pans out to be stable).

The bad new is still that the button lights don't update and programming them with Bomes is made more difficult by the fact that each pad is set up as "gate" instead of "toggle" and note off is a different Midi message and not just the same note on message with zero velocity.

That's what one would need MidiEditor software for! (See other thread)

Just changing this from gate to toggle in Bomes will be a convoluted mess using up many of the so valuable variables :x

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Glad you're getting your problem sorted. No luck on mine; APC Min and APC Key 24 are still pieces of shit (that could be so good, if only session overview were implemented (like a fricken' Launchpad, f'chrissakes....

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Glad you're getting your problem sorted. No luck on mine; APC Min and APC Key 24 are still pieces of shit (that could be so good, if only session overview were implemented (like a fricken' Launchpad, f'chrissakes....
did you look into clyphx for sorting your issue like I sugested?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:Glad you're getting your problem sorted. No luck on mine; APC Min and APC Key 24 are still pieces of shit (that could be so good, if only session overview were implemented (like a fricken' Launchpad, f'chrissakes....
Of course I did. Stray told me personally I couldn't do it with Clyphx. Read the documentation yourself and tell us how to do it, if you don't believe us....

(without a convoluted workaround that completely begs the convenience, but I still don't think you can do it... your job, should you decide to accept it, "walking the walk", instead of just.... :)

(It only counts if it is complete implementation identical to Push, APC40, and Launchpad... because otherwise I just use my Launchpad and nanoKontrol) and even occasionally just the Launchpad....

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Of course I did. Stray told me personally I couldn't do it with Clyphx. Read the documentation yourself and tell us how to do it, if you don't believe us....

(without a convoluted workaround that completely begs the convenience, but I still don't think you can do it... your job, should you decide to accept it, "walking the walk", instead of just.... :)

(It only counts if it is complete implementation identical to Push, APC40, and Launchpad... because otherwise I just use my Launchpad and nanoKontrol) and even occasionally just the Launchpad....
So I make a helpful suggestion and you blow up in my face?! Why's that?!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Have you got Session Overview on another controller that you can link the red boxes together?

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Because I have answered this obvious suggestion many times before (actually from you, come to think of it, but if I'm wrong I apologize).
Last edited by Buleriachk on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

S4racen wrote:Have you got Session Overview on another controller that you can link the red boxes together?

Cheers
D
Not interested in two controllers with the APC Mini. I already have a Launchpad and NanoKontrol that work just fine... I just want my APC Mini (and APC Key 25) to work the way they are supposed to, not in the half-assed way they do now. (If I get THAT desperate on a gig I'll take my Push or APC40 Mk2....)
Last edited by Buleriachk on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 pm

www.ebay.com then....

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Because I have answered this obvious suggestion many times before (actually from you, come to think of it, but if I'm wrong I apologize).
Sorry to inform you that NONE of this is my fault!

So blowing up in my face for a helpful suggestion is not warranted in either way.

But I will learn my lesson and not try to help you in the future...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Why should I take a hit when these units (or at least the APC Mini) were advertised under false pretenses (sin of omission, if nothing else, but the original documentation on the website said that one could change banks. I informed Ableton of this and they changed it immedieately).

It is not the money so much as I could really use these devices if they switched banks, since I organize my banks by time-signature/ keys/chord progressions.... so I can improvise in session mode.
S4racen wrote:http://www.ebay.com then....

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:00 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Sorry to inform you that NONE of this is my fault!

So blowing up in my face for a helpful suggestion is not warranted in either way.

But I will learn my lesson and not try to help you in the future...
I was only critiquing the obvious and repeated suggestion, nothing else. I wasted a lot of time trying to make Clyphx work before I asked Stray ... and by now I am familiar with the manual... as well as having spent hands-on time investigating that, and M4Live, etc...

I am pretty sure the only way this can be done is in the Python code (I decompiled it and looked at it, but I'm 74 and don't have time to reverse engineer it), but even then it is difficult since the programmer derived the Mini code from the Key25 code so he could ignore their different matrices.. which is just incompetent negligence as far as I am concerned, and if it was designed that way, then they should fire the engineer that developed the code, since he couldn't actually have talked to those who were going to use the device (well, ok, maybe those who only had 5x8 or 8x8 requirements to begin with...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Bottom line: the APC Mini and APC Key 25 are marginally pieces of shit; and Live/Akai are insulting our intelligence by refusing to address lack of Session Overview. WTF are they thinking, anyway?

Buleriachk

APC Mini is a piece of shit.

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Version 9.1.7 and they STILL haven't added Session Overview to the APC Mini and the APC Key 25.
WTF are they thinking? Who are the simpletons in charge of this?

I can't believe they are letting this slide.. and they should fire the programmers/engineers who made the design decision to omit Session Overview to both of Akai/Ableton's (dare I say it?) SESSION ORIENTED products.

Sheesh!!

ivory_13

Post by ivory_13 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:24 am

:twisted:
I have owned one for 2 hours and have embarrassingly assumed the controller would have a 'note player' scene or function that would enable you to play instrumentation. Very disappointing.