WTF? Are Ableton's Factory pack samples locked somehow?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Asymmetricalmusic

WTF? Are Ableton's Factory pack samples locked somehow?

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 am

So I use Ableton like everyone else "Anyway I want!" haha anyway

I use Live7 actually a lot (Its what I started with, say what you will)

thou I own Live 9 Suite

Tonight I cracked open the the Ableton 9 Packs copied the Sample .aif's and tried to open just the raw file in Live 7....simple enough but no quite as it appears they're locked

anyone know what I need to do to remedy this?

I'm on mac os 10.8

Thanks

jbw

Re: WTF? Are Ableton's Factory pack samples locked somehow?

Post by jbw » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 am

I was wondering this too. I tried to use some in Reaktor but they didn't work. I ended up simply loading them into a track in Live then exporting as an aif file. I think it has something to do with file association, and how Live creates an extra file to go along with each sample.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 am

Why don't they go in the Libahrary?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:58 am

jbw wrote:I was wondering this too. I tried to use some in Reaktor but they didn't work. I ended up simply loading them into a track in Live then exporting as an aif file. I think it has something to do with file association, and how Live creates an extra file to go along with each sample.
Nice, That's one way but would't it be nice to just convert these files to .wav overnight.......hmmm

I did some searching on google for a free converter but I fear about sound quality and if I'm gonna buy one I fear it'll still give me a "Cant read file" message.....

I'm hoping someone here will at least pm me for my email so we can talk about using these files without a lawsuit.....yikes (i thought i was authorized)
Steve Glen wrote:Why don't they go in the Libahrary?
Anyway, I just copied the raw samples so the packs still work in L9, but my prefer'd way is to use L7 to create my ultimate library (something I started long ago and I love) I have multiple computers I use to create and play my sets and this way works as I can load my L7 library into the L8 library of L9 and everything's in the order I like it. untill recently with Push I created music in L8 and played it Live in L7. I have lots of reasons but I managed my library in L7 so I could use it on both platforms.

Anyway I hope someone and point me in the right direction. Thanks
Last edited by Asymmetricalmusic on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:34 am

so resampling them and put those into a hardwaresampler is a crime ?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

There gotta be an easy way to convert these files to AIFF's or wav's

I used to own Toast which would probably work but the version I have is old. I thought about upgrading but I cant find any info that sez it'll convert locked .aif files

Anyone know?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:There gotta be an easy way to convert these files to AIFF's or wav's

I used to own Toast which would probably work but the version I have is old. I thought about upgrading but I cant find any info that sez it'll convert locked .aif files

Anyone know?
So you've been informed that this would be illegal (by an Ableton employee no less), but you think it's a good idea to talk about how you're going to do it anyway on the forum of the very same company?

Genius!

:lol:
Unsound Designer

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Right and for the record I don't smoke pot or jaywalk..........

in the end how are "they" gonna know I didn't use the sample out of the Ableton pack which I have the right to do....

you can't say you can tell the difference in a track made in L7 as oppose to L9 can you?

My point is the copy right is pointless........

If I can't use the samples....... why can they sell them to me for profit?

I did not torrent anything here I paided the fee now why inhibit my workflow?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:13 pm

So yeah jbw your right

Ableton allows you to load the samples into session slot and crop them all,

BANG usable .aif files in Live7 via the sample folder of the newly saved project.

Screw you copyright, I'm doing it, i get gonna chop and screw these samples all night! come sue me!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:46 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:Right and for the record I don't smoke pot or jaywalk..........

in the end how are "they" gonna know I didn't use the sample out of the Ableton pack which I have the right to do....

you can't say you can tell the difference in a track made in L7 as oppose to L9 can you?

My point is the copy right is pointless........

If I can't use the samples....... why can they sell them to me for profit?

I did not torrent anything here I paided the fee now why inhibit my workflow?
I didn't say anything about you doing it, did I?

I said something about you coming onto their forum to say that you're doing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unsound Designer

jbw

Post by jbw » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:So yeah jbw your right

Ableton allows you to load the samples into session slot and crop them all,

BANG usable .aif files in Live7 via the sample folder of the newly saved project.

Screw you copyright, I'm doing it, i get gonna chop and screw these samples all night! come sue me!
Did you try to simply drag and drop them onto Live 7? They might install that way.

As for their use, I highly doubt Ableton will care how you use them, whether it be in a previous version, a hardware sampler, or Reaktor. My guess is the protection is mainly to keep people from trying to sell the samples themselves.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:27 am

yeah its all good Ive no intension on selling any of this, this is for my personal drum machine i built in Live.

theres some golden samples in there

the Ninja Snares are current favorite find

I just had to have in my file structure. I much prefer my own way to do a system search for for a sound I want. I like know whats there in my bag of tricks.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:21 am

The latest free live pack from Ableton and Sample Magic (Thank you thank you thank you) comes with a bunch of clips (linked to samples). Dragging in multiple clips has been disabled in Live 9 so in order to audition multiple clips with the Sample Magic Effect Rack, I saved each section as a Live Set in my user Library after moving all the samples to MY sample Library. There was no clip automation I had to worry about.

my library: HD/Music Library/Library/Samples/!Drum Loops/`Percussion Loops/!Breaks

Then I used those locations to create the new Live sets. I now have the choice of importing many samples at once with audio effects, or I know where to look for individual samples.

Splitting the samples from the Live pack> On MAC| right click>Show package contents/

Jrock Rockpile

Post by Jrock Rockpile » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 am

so i know this thread is very old, i am trying to use abletons stock samples to create serum wavetables but i am getting the error could not read message. noticed abletons stock samples are in .aiff by default. i have my settings set to download as .wav so idk why they are all .aiff. did you ever find a way fix that?