Control Live paramter with M4L

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
IMPULSOUND

Control Live paramter with M4L

Post by IMPULSOUND » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:35 pm

I want to create a m4l device with two sliders, one that controls a lowcut (via EQ8) and one that controls the Highcut Freq (EQ8).
This M4L Device should be in a rack and in this rack the EQ8 (which is controlled by the m4l device).
How can i write a patch that connects automatically to this two cutoff parameters?

I know there are some simple ways like the m4l abstractions but i wont use the menus to find the right parameter...
If the EQ8 ever is in the same place in this rack can i create a patch that routes automatically to this two parameters?

if something is unclear ask!

hope you guys can help me

Because789

Re: Control Live paramter with M4L

Post by Because789 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Maybe you should explain, why you think you need a M4L device for this. Because when I read your post I think, why not just putting an EQ8 into a rack, map low and high cut to a macro, save the rack and load it whenever you need it.

If that is not an option, ripping apart the MultiMap device and adjusting it to your needs is not yet automatic mapping, but it's already "more automatic" the choosing the parameter in menues and simple to do.

If that's still not what you want, you got some work to do, because I think a real automatic thing would be quite a pain in the ass to do. But I might be wrong and somebody knows a simple way to do it.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

IMPULSOUND

Post by IMPULSOUND » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:07 am

For example i want to create a m4l device which controls the track vol, track pan, stereo width and some fixed parameters @ EQ8 - for example the HPF and LPF Freq. And two more for the High and Low Shelfs. This would be a very small device which is straight forward and i want to implement those sliders/knobs which contol parameters in Live.

I know there are ways to map the slider/knob to the parameters but is there any way to say - if i insert this device in a track and in this track there is a EQ8 - the Device should take control over some parameters of the eq8?

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:06 am

This is relatively simple to do but there are too many steps than I have time to fully explain in a single forum post.

Basically you'd send a message to live.path to get the M4L device's canonical parent (this would be the track it's in) then get a list of the devices in that track, cycle through them checking their names, when it finds one named EQ-8 it would get the ids of the parameters you want to control and map them.

Best you can do is familiarize yourself with the Live Object Model (https://cycling74.com/docs/max6/dynamic ... ject_model) and go through the Max tutorials.