MIDI mapping edit (custom midi mapping) & user script

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Lanman.CZ

MIDI mapping edit (custom midi mapping) & user script

Post by Lanman.CZ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello,
I'm sure this was asked countless times before yet the feature is still missing for some reason :
Can we please get ability to add custom lines to midi mappings in the project ? Or at least be able to edit the existing ones ? Perhaps double click on the line and be able to type in CC number manually ? This would be very useful because sometimes when I am using custom multiaxis controls (like XY pad with touch on/off function) it is nearly impossible to map the correct CC to the correct function with the automatic system.

Also second function that would be quite useful would be the ability to use more than 8 controls of any kind in user scripts. User scripts are great, easy and fast way to setup any controller but I am missing the ability to assign more than 8 knobs/faders. It would be great if Live recognized additional lines like Encoder9, VolumeSlider9 and so on. That would open up the possibility to easily map bigger control surfaces without having to use proper remote script (which is not a thing that everyone can do) or M4L.

edit: Turns out that expanding the user script functionality to use more that 8 controls is a simple tweak of the remote script that handles loading of user scripts. It's a matter of increasing the for loop limit and expanding the arrays accordingly. This works fine for volume sliders (got 32 working now) but for some reason the same does not work for encoders. Even with the expanded device_controls array live still automaps only first 8. Any ideas pls ?

Jdudeo

Re: MIDI mapping edit (custom midi mapping) & user script

Post by Jdudeo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Lanman.CZ wrote:Can we please get ability to add custom lines to midi mappings in the project ? Or at least be able to edit the existing ones ? Perhaps double click on the line and be able to type in CC number manually ? This would be very useful because sometimes when I am using custom multiaxis controls (like XY pad with touch on/off function) it is nearly impossible to map the correct CC to the correct function with the automatic system.
I have a free Max for Live device that you may find useful, it allows you to map CCs manually by typing in the CC number..

http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/manual-cc-mapper/

saiteron

Re: MIDI mapping edit (custom midi mapping) & user script

Post by saiteron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 am

please. direct integration of MIDI map editing in Live. it's been requested since 2014 as seen here. why is this basic feature not in Ableton. i would use M4L but its mappings are still too unstable to rely on for performance purposes in many cases and Max occasionally crashes my computer despite attempts to solve the problem through re-installs and ample preference adjustments. just put this feature directly in Live.