OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:I did have issues booting from the external finished installation, but I don't think that was related to the internal drive becoming invisible.
Did the problems persist, or have you sorted them out?
Unfortunately my drive enclosure is out of warranty, so no support there. I'm going to try another of my external disks and install Yosemite on it at some point. I'm not in a hurry though. Productivity must be retained.
Make some music!

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:01 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:I did have issues booting from the external finished installation, but I don't think that was related to the internal drive becoming invisible.
Did the problems persist, or have you sorted them out?
Unfortunately my drive enclosure is out of warranty, so no support there. I'm going to try another of my external disks and install Yosemite on it at some point. I'm not in a hurry though. Productivity must be retained.
Is the external drive a hard drive or SSD?

D_Goldstein

Post by D_Goldstein » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:37 am

I have an issue with Live I'm on version 9.1.6 and my problem is with previous projects that I had saved prior to upgrading to Yosemite all of a sudden won't load up at all. I just get the beachball thingy but when I open live with as if I was starting a new project everything works fine until I try to load up any projects I had been working on prior to Yosemite. I downloaded the "Java 6 se" plugin because MaxforLive wasn't working either and all my projects contain some sort of Max device. But still none of my previous projects will load up for me. It would be great if you guys could assist me with this problem.

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:20 pm

jbw wrote:
Leax wrote:I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...
You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html

I have my MacBook Pro partitioned into 2 partitions:
1. Mavericks
2. Snow Leopard

I will be installing Yosemite on an external firewire 800 drive. If Yosemite is better than Mavericks (which I sincerely hope is the case, being underwhelmed by Mavericks in nearly every possible way) then I'll install it over the Mavericks partition.
Thanks for this. Installing on a partition was extremely easy to do. During the installation it even asks if you want to import your files and settings, which I did from a Time Machine backup on an external drive. It says you an do this later using the Migration Assistant too.
:x :x :x :x :x

For whatever reason Yosemite does not let you delete partitions, so you're stuck with a Mavericks partition and a Yosemite partition after dong this. At least, that's what happened to me and others.

I found these terminal commands to "unlock" the partition:

"diskutil cs list"

and then

"diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID"

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command. Then restart and you should be able to deal with partitions.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:18 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

steko

Post by steko » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:43 pm

D_Goldstein wrote:I have an issue with Live I'm on version 9.1.6 and my problem is with previous projects that I had saved prior to upgrading to Yosemite all of a sudden won't load up at all. I just get the beachball thingy but when I open live with as if I was starting a new project everything works fine until I try to load up any projects I had been working on prior to Yosemite. I downloaded the "Java 6 se" plugin because MaxforLive wasn't working either and all my projects contain some sort of Max device. But still none of my previous projects will load up for me. It would be great if you guys could assist me with this problem.
Welcome to the forum D_Goldstein!

Have you checked all your plug-ins (Audio Unit or VST) for compatibility with Yosemite?

Start a new blank project - go to Live's preferences "File Folder" & deactivate Audio Units & VST & restart Live.

Do your old projects load now?
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:08 pm

D_Goldstein wrote:downloaded the "Java 6 se" plugin because MaxforLive wasn't working either and all my projects contain some sort of Max device.
As we're getting off-topic. So far, no-one have explained when, how and why Max 6 would need java. Java is not among the Max system requirements for any version.
With the Max devices I use, there is never a java process that starts up. When java starts up there is a java process in Activity Monitor and there isn't one in mine when I use Max in Live. Nor when I start Max outside of Live.

Some Max devices may need java, but it would seem far from all of them. There seems to be a lot of myths about Live-related matters, especially on Macs. I find that odd.
Make some music!

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm

I've exorcised Java from my main system occasionally (only way to be sure), and Live+Max haven't stopped working because of that. Not sure where that idea comes from either.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:42 pm

gnurf wrote:I've exorcised Java from my main system occasionally (only way to be sure), and Live+Max haven't stopped working because of that. Not sure where that idea comes from either.

I think it's because you can execute Java code from Max, as well as the unrelated javascript and some variants of C . I know of no Max devices that do this, but I'm sure there are a few.
Make some music!

jimwilson2

Post by jimwilson2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:39 am

I've had troubles loading live sets stored on an external HD since upgrading.

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:46 am

Is the external drive a hard drive or SSD?
This is a hard drive. I've since placed it in my old G5 (The biggest hard drive enclosure I have :P) and managed to boot my Macbook from it (Firewire target mode). So it's not the drive but my Voyager Q that can't boot up newer versions of OS X for some reason. Unfortunately it's out of warranty. Still works well for storage, so it's useful.
Also I bought a 16gb smallish metal USB drive I can keep on my keyring. I'll install Yosemite on that. I still feel no rush to update to Yosemite on my main system. Mavericks is slowly getting very stable and totally workable.

Now I'm going to help my friend who just got the latest Macbook Pro i7 with Yosemite to run things smoothly.

***UPDATE***

I've since got a later MacBook Pro and found that this new model can boot from the Voyager Q no problem. There was probably some mismatch between the Voyager Q FW chip and my older MacBook Pro that prevented booting. It predates the Voyager Q so perhaps expected. The Voyager Q is probably one of my better HD investments that keeps on giving.
Make some music!