Problem exporting selected tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Problem exporting selected tracks

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:20 pm

One of the nice features of 9.1.6 is *supposedly* that you can render out individually selected tracks, rather than having to choose between all or just one.

This is great when preparing for mastering or a fresh mixdown of rendered audio.

Except that it does not work. I can't render selected audio tracks if some of them are also return tracks.

The feature works by the user selecting the desired tracks before going to file--> export audio video

But live only allows me to select EITHER return tracks OR ordinary tracks. Not both.

I either have to render ALL of them... or I have to render them in two seperate renders.... And at the moment I am working with a generative set, with randomly generated notes, so there will be a mismatch if I take that workaround.

Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

theswiftone

Re: Problem exporting selected tracks

Post by theswiftone » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm

If I've understood this correctly you want one of your channels and the return sends to be exported together? If so you need to solo that channel and export with "Master" selected in the Render from drop down. But you'll obviously have to do each channel one at a time.

If you have randomly generated sounds you could always freeze the track and bounce it to audio so it doesn't alter.......

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks. Freezing is the obvious workaround. But it is an unsatisfactory situation. The reason people asked for this feature is that you need it when exporting stems for mastering: you want to bus or group your tracks and export those, plus return effects. But the way they have implemented it makes that impossible. :roll:

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 am

Create a bunch of new "recording" audio tracks - one for each Stem that you want to print - and route the desired elements to each "Stem recording track". Then roll record on all of these Stem record tracks in realtime. That would theoretically work IF your computer can handle it.

What's ya track-count like? :wink:

P.S. Generative stuff... thats the bitch innit? I always make sure I record any generative/random stuff as early on as possible - set it in stone - so that I'm dealing with something consistent as I move forward. Drives ya mad otherwise.. :|

Can your randomly generated MIDI notes be recorded, i.e. set in stone, at some point before you go to print your stems?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Good advice.

It's only a few tracks. At the moment I am grouping them into the stems, rendering everything, deleting what I don't need, and then importing the rest.

You are right that it is a good idea to freeze the MIDI early on.

What I tend to do now is to record the generated MIDI track.

Then I can cheat and edit it

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:45 pm

re:dream wrote:Then I can cheat and edit it
thats not cheating, thats... err... topiary!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Can you set your return tracks to send to a dummy track? Then add the dummy track to your selection?

I tried this recently when I wanted my return track to follow the same automation as a bunch of grouped tracks. I was adjusting volume over time, but the return track was remaining at a constant volume level, ruining the effect I was trying to create.

The solution was to add an empty dummy track to the group, and then route the send to return to the empty track. The empty track then causes the return to follow the automation of the group. Since this empty track would be a "normal" track, you should be able to select it with the others you want to export.

Hope that helps.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I will try that. Thank you!

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 am

That seems to work. My ears tell me the return tracks sound the same when bused through the audio track. I think. So that is a good work around. Thanks!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Glad to hear that worked out! 8)
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute