New Korg Electribe

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

Re: New Korg Electribe

Post by mickmike » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Does the electribe export to live 8, or just live 9?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Pretty sure it's Live 8 compatible, I don't have that installed to test for sure though.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Hope so. The upgrade to live 9 never really appealed

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Very nice review Tarekith 8)

I think your set playing could have been even more informative if the text overlay you used once would have indicated what your tweaking does.

But overall very usefull!
I'll do something like that once I actually have some better music to perform, this was literally a last minute recording with some so so half assed songs :)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Tarekith wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Very nice review Tarekith 8)

I think your set playing could have been even more informative if the text overlay you used once would have indicated what your tweaking does.

But overall very usefull!
I'll do something like that once I actually have some better music to perform, this was literally a last minute recording with some so so half assed songs :)
it was great as it was, but that would make it close to a perfect review 8)

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:53 pm

When i used electribe sx with Ableton, it had timing problems (i don't know tecnical term)
like this:
if Ableton is master and electribe is slave, i hit play on ableton (120 bpm) and electribe is: 110>112>115>118>122>119>121>119.95...

These two never could run intact 120-120. Slave one is always 119.95-120.30 something..
I don't know if this was Ableton, electribe or soundcard problem. But i remember i read other people had same issues, too.

Does new electribe run 120-120 perfect with Ableton?

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:16 am

Tarekith wrote:Just posted my video review of the electribe for those interested in learning more about it:

http://youtu.be/KF9DK2eQOdw
Without a doubt the most in-depth and balanced review so far. Thanks for sharing!
alpertt wrote:When i used electribe sx with Ableton, it had timing problems (i don't know tecnical term)
like this:
if Ableton is master and electribe is slave, i hit play on ableton (120 bpm) and electribe is: 110>112>115>118>122>119>121>119.95...

These two never could run intact 120-120. Slave one is always 119.95-120.30 something..
I don't know if this was Ableton, electribe or soundcard problem. But i remember i read other people had same issues, too.

Does new electribe run 120-120 perfect with Ableton?
I haven't spent enough time to have a final opinon on this topic, but what I can say so far, is, that if you sync the e2 as slave to Live, the synchronization seems pretty tight. On the other hand, when you set the e2 as master, syncing is much less tight, especially when you change BPM.

What is worring me when syncing the e2 as slave to Live, is, that I had to adjust the MIDI clock latency in preferences two or three times when it wasn't clear to me what was introduced into the set that could cause the need for a latency change. But maybe that's just me beeing a noob in syncing external gear. I guess time will tell how consistent you can get like this.

Can someone confirm, that if you use the menu shortcuts (Shift + trigger pad) when in Part Mute mode, the shortcut will work, but the according part gets muted/unmuted? That seems like a bug to me.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRWc6QWhYdA

Not an independent review, but a nice presentation from Korg going into quite a few details. It also nicely shows off the workflow for those of us (like me) who are not in the know about older Electribes.

Some interesting infos from the video:
-Apparently the patterns are all Midi and can be used to drive external gear. So I think it should also be possible to save the patterns in Live as Midi clips (with automation?!) and maybe control other softsynth. Can anyone confirm that?
-He mentiones at the end that the Sampler version will indeed be able to sample from external sources. So for a looper kind of workflow the question will only be how tight the switch from recording into the device to looped playback from the device will be and how long each recording can be. (16 Bars should be ideal and 4 Bars would be about my absolute usable minimum)
I also really hope that they will somehow open up the SD memory to be used as storage for this purpose.

ETA for the Sampler sometime in February he says.

I'm definetely exited and I think I will sell Push to finance that. (Sorry Ableton, you had plenty of time to advance the software side of it, but you chose to do nothing instead :x )

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:21 pm

TomViolenz wrote: -Apparently the patterns are all Midi and can be used to drive external gear. So I think it should also be possible to save the patterns in Live as Midi clips (with automation?!) and maybe control other softsynth. Can anyone confirm that?
I guess you are familiar with the possibility to export a pattern as a Live set to the SD card and then import it on your computer (it's not (yet) possible via USB connection). In addition to that you can catch the e2s MIDI data in Live to sequence a soft synth. Every part sends its data on its own channel (1-16). Most of the knobs send MIDI data as well, so you could map them to the a soft synth.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm

TomViolenz wrote:ETA for the Sampler sometime in February he says.

I'm definetely exited and I think I will sell Push to finance that. (Sorry Ableton, you had plenty of time to advance the software side of it, but you chose to do nothing instead :x )
been thinking the exact same thing. just need to see the Sampler in action and if all's good, i'm sold. and so is the Push.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:10 pm

New video showing some MIDI Sync timing tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0YBj5 ... e=youtu.be

And yes, there is a bug with menu shortcuts in Mute mode, a fix is coming soon.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Good to see you came to a similar conclusion regarding sync timing. When testing Live as master and e2 as slave, what were your MIDI Clock Sync Delay and Buffer settings in preferences?

A question regarding the "Audio In" oscillator: as far as I can see there are two possibilities to play the part with the external audio source. Either you use the step sequencer as kind of a gate sequencer, i.e every selected step opens the gate and the audio gets through. Or you record one long note over your whole pattern to get an audio stream which is only affected by filter, modulation, IFX and MFX.

While the first possibility is fun and can deliver interesting results, sometimes I would love to get the audio unaltered by the sequencer. But the problem with the second approach is, that you get an audio drop out when the pattern switches to the first bar (because there's a note off message at the end of a pattern and a note on message at the beginning of the first bar). Is there a way to overcome this audio hiccup I missed so far (besides messing around with MFX or IFX)?

Edit: Ted3000 from korgforums.com provided a workaround:

Enter 16 notes per bar in Sequencer mode, then enter Step Edit, go to the note length page, turn all 16 durations all the way up to Tie.
Last edited by Because789 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M4L

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Because789 wrote:Good to see you came to a similar conclusion regarding sync timing. When testing Live as master and e2 as slave, what were your MIDI Clock Sync Delay and Buffer settings in preferences?

Is there a way to overcome this audio hickup I missed so far (besides messing around with MFX or IFX)?
Buffer at 256 samples, Sync Delay at whatever the default is, I never mess with that.

No idea on your second question, I haven't tried that yet.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Tarekith wrote:Buffer at 256 samples, Sync Delay at whatever the default is, I never mess with that.
Interesting. I just tested it in an empty set at 128 samples and I had to set the Sync Delay to about -40ms to sync the beats perfectly as in your video. It seems I have to blame my audio interface.

M4L

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Keep in mind I wasn't using an interface, direct usb to the electribe.