Ableton Vs Bitwig

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Martin Gifford

Re: Ableton Vs Bitwig

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 pm

If I were just starting out, I would go with Bitwig.

Trouble is, I have too many projects started in Ableton, and there's too much to learn with Bitwig. Also, I'm not sure if Bitwig will endure.

If they could really get you up to speed with 4 hours of tutorials videos, I would change, but that's impossible. There's a big advantage in being an established leader in this market.

be tonal

Post by be tonal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:If they could really get you up to speed with 4 hours of tutorials videos, I would change, but that's impossible.
4h video , ugh. Rather read the manual, much quicker. And coming from Live i found myself quite familiar with the interface immediateley.
Martin Gifford wrote: There's a big advantage in being an established leader in this market.
I think it´s the other way around, from ableton´s position they can´t fix the problems with their product without breaking compatibility and pissing off their userbase. Bitwig is a fresh start and for me it´s already much more useful in production.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Bitwig is fail, I have been being sincere and really trying to help them out but it has reached a point where I have found so many major bugs, including a bug in which I notified them about, their fail CPU multi core use Image

The DSP performance graph is from bitwig, as you could imagine it is making crackles and pops, I emailed tech support and they told me to mess around with how I was using nexus, spire, and massive. If you have a copy of bitwig, here is the session in which I was using https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn3fy96ru53p9 ... oject?dl=0 (warning, session will crackle and pop very loud, I have all the tracks turned down really low too, even the master)

Anyways, my computer still is in 40+ percent idle, no software should use 100% of CPU obviously, but I get a much higher track count in Ableton, with more effects automation (actually finished songs) without having to bounce stuff a lot (I have a mac pro) and it uses a lot more of my CPU to do so, as I want it to, its the reason I invested in an amazing computer. (The craziest thing is, is everything in this Bitwig demo for my CPU shouldn't be scratching the surface, as when in Ableton I am also running at a higher sample rate of 48k which definitely makes it want to eat more CPU, yet Ableton still performs better)
I waste a lot of time trolling forums and I have to say the kids on the Bitwig forums are incredibly nice, but they all are okay with a buggy and unprofessional product as they know in the future it wont be buggy and it will be professional, but in my honest opinion, Bitwig is two years away from blowing anybody away. It will be incredible, but don't waste your money on them, if you are expecting a product that is as complete as Ableton.

Their is also a major multiple display bug for mac os x for 3 displays and plug in windows that is beyond annoying, every time you switch a track with plug ins and come back the plugins no matter where they were move to the middle of your arrangement screen to block everything up, literally takes 1 minute to move everything out of the way.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info, you think I can load a project in demo mode ? Would love to see how my quadcore 3,2 behaves.
Ps.
I don't have multiple monitors, but use 'spaces' a lot. And I noticed that In BW, it's possible to drag your plugins to other desktop spaces, and they just stay there. Very convenient.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

pinkpaint wrote:Bitwig is fail, I have been being sincere and really trying to help them out but it has reached a point where I have found so many major bugs, including a bug in which I notified them about, their fail CPU multi core use

The DSP performance graph is from bitwig, as you could imagine it is making crackles and pops, I emailed tech support and they told me to mess around with how I was using nexus, spire, and massive. If you have a copy of bitwig, here is the session in which I was using https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn3fy96ru53p9 ... oject?dl=0 (warning, session will crackle and pop very loud, I have all the tracks turned down really low too, even the master)
64 x Massive instances, 32 x Spire instances, 32 x reFX Nexus instances.
128 vst synths running at once on a 2-bar loop. no shit you turned it down.

please tell me this is the project you sent to support :lol:

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 pm

lol, if things start to go crazy at half that, I'd be happy.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:25 pm

I like to test things in a "real world" application these days, not just bench tests.

I admit I don't use 100 tracks in a project but bitwig doesn't handle stuff as well as live at all. Some areas of concern are amp sims and multi outs. I like to run something like slate VMR after an instance of an amp sim and too many of those tracks can munch in a hurry. Synths don't seem to be much trouble at all (kontakt, massive, omni, waves element) and it's pretty easy to build something up w/o running into trouble.

I'm also having an issue though that is linked to the web. This can cause cpu cycles to double. I have NOT nailed it down yet (clearly something is wrong here)

So most of the time, bitwig doesn't have too many issues for what I use it for, but live is really much better.

CFM

Post by CFM » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Bitwig - are they still going?

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 am

Hello Everyone,

The tests had 128 total, but it wouldn't stop peaking at anything above 70. Also, as I stated this test was run on a mac pro, to be more specific a 12 core with 64gb of ram. I know 128 vsts seems overkill but when other people have benchmarked much higher cpu resourceful things with the same setup, (there are people who have reported bench marks of 200+ tracks in logic, 180+ in Ableton) I myself have gotten ableton up to 150+ before peaks, maybe its just intense multicore systems, but bitwig definitely handles this stuff worse than Ableton and Logic, for select systems, 100%.

Anyways, CPU aside its still to buggy to recommend to anyone and let me assure you as someone who already has ableton I was very disappointed (but at the same time it made me realize how much I like Abletons weird look)

Fuck I love ableton so much tho