Question about Melodyne quality while transposing.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spookje88

Question about Melodyne quality while transposing.

Post by spookje88 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

Because I am working on some music with other musicians they asked me to transpose my song from the existing key (which is F) to C which is a little bit easier for them to work with.
I agreed and could transpose everything by changing midi notes except the vocal I used and after some research I ended up with a Melodyne editor trial.

Now I have a little bit of a problem because I noticed that the quality of the sound is getting quit bad while I only transpose most notes 3,5 steps and I can't really believe that a plugin like Melodyne wouldn't be able to process it better since it is made for transposing and altering melodies right?

I have rendered the 30 seconds of transposed and not transposed (which means with and without Melodyne) and uploaded it on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/casparvdbrink/se ... ut/s-u4ok5

I have searched the preferences for something like quality or a memory availability switch but haven't found anything.
Please help me out!!

Thanks in advance :D
Caspar

doghouse

Re: Question about Melodyne quality while transposing.

Post by doghouse » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm

All pitch shifters have trouble with moving things a fifth (which is what you are asking it to do). Melodyne is the best one I have ever heard and I own it, but there are still limits.

Go through the tutorial videos at the Celemony site, the default settings do not always yield the best results (doh).

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:19 pm

doghouse wrote:All pitch shifters have trouble with moving things a fifth.
What are you saying here? That there's something in particular about a fifth or that larger intervals in general will give the algorithm more trouble?
Unsound Designer

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 pm

If you are transposing down a fifth you could try Complex Pro. Unless you are shifting modes you don't really need to use Melodyne. A transpose which keeps the pitch relationships should be well within the capabilities of Complex Pro.

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah a fifth is a big interval, you're going to get artifacts and weirdness. You can usually go only a couple steps in Melodyne without it starting to change the sound. For harmonies it doesn't matter so much, but for a vocal lead...

The other thing you can try is playing with the Formant: select all your notes and try moving it up or down, it may help. Typically move it down if you are transposing downward.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Just remember that transposing up a perfect fifth and transposing down a perfect fourth both give you the same key (F up a P5 to C, F down a P4 to C). Different octave, but same key.
Unsound Designer

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:21 am

use kontakt

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:48 am

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 am

fishmonkey wrote:Ircam TS can be very transparent
Ever since I checked Ircam's demo, I can't shake the feeling that it's the algorithm used in Live's Complex Pro warp mode. :)