Alchemy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crystalmsc

Re: Alchemy

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 am

What a sad..sad news. RIP Camel Audio :(

January 8, 2015

We would like to thank you for the support we've received over the years in our efforts to create instruments and effects plug-ins and sound libraries.

Camel Audio's plug-ins, Alchemy Mobile IAPs and sound libraries are no longer available for purchase. We will continue to provide downloads of your previous purchases and email support until July 7, 2015. We recommend you download all of your purchases and back them up so that you can continue to use them (Instructions: How to Download and Backup Your Products).
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:32 pm

agent314 wrote:I just wish they would improve sample browsing when loading patches for the individual voices. It's such a pain in the ass to navigate (not even scrollwheel support? WTF) that I end up almost never using it for sample manipulation, despite it being really good at that.

Also improving the additive editor would go a long way
Agreed - drag/drop into the editors these days is a must have - it's missing and it destroys workflow.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:02 pm

crystalmsc wrote:What a sad..sad news. RIP Camel Audio :(
I'd be happy to see there stuff in the next Live version :mrgreen:

Otherwise I really hope that Alchemy will still work in Live for a long time.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Sad news and another reason to build your own synths.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:18 pm

oh dear - that is sad news - I was looking forward to a new version of Alchemy - they were onto something good there - just not quite - and there's nothing else out there quite like it

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 pm

The iPad version is my favorite iOS synth.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Whatwhatwhaaaaaat? No! Why? Where? How?

I love Alchemy, Space and Phat! I own a lot of their Alchemy libraries, and I'm really sad to see them go.

I guess I'll go download installers etc. for future hardware upgrades... :(

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:30 pm

My guess is they were bought out by either Avid or Apple, possibly Steinberg.
Redmatica did a similar thing when they closed shop, the developer went on to work for Apple who he would have been competing in the same industry with his products etc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:My guess is they were bought out by either Avid or Apple, possibly Steinberg.
Redmatica did a similar thing when they closed shop, the developer went on to work for Apple who he would have been competing in the same industry with his products etc.

That would be weird if Apple bought them, although they haven’t updated their sampler and audio effects in ages. But I’m also sure Apple is nowhere near releasing the next version of Logic and they aren’t a company that introduces major new features in current version updates…or at least not in Logic historically.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 pm

the guessing is silly... sure, maybe they got bought out, but random speculation that it's Apple or anybody else is pretty absurd right now, we don't know anything, let alone if it really was a buyout. They may have simply gone under due to lack of sales.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:16 pm

There were already rumors about Ben having had talks with Apple about a buyout.
Unsound Designer

c33

Post by c33 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Soniccouture tweeted about it and said "they smell apples"

Who knows.. but I think it's pretty shitty they couldn't offer more notice or some kind of explanation beyond "Oh hey we're closed now and will offer you some support for our products for few more months." *sigh* I know there are lot of people out there who are pretty invested in Alchemy.

Can you imagine if Ableton pulled something like this?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Hard to know exactly what Apple would do with their technology if they in fact bought them out.

Logic has needed an overhaul on some of its instruments and effects for some time now so they could certainly roll the code into their own plugs built solely for Logic. Of course then you would have a repeat of what happened when Apple bought Logic itself (discontinuing Windows support).
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 pm

c33 wrote:Soniccouture tweeted about it and said "they smell apples"

Who knows.. but I think it's pretty shitty they couldn't offer more notice or some kind of explanation beyond "Oh hey we're closed now and will offer you some support for our products for few more months." *sigh* I know there are lot of people out there who are pretty invested in Alchemy.

Can you imagine if Ableton pulled something like this?

Yeah, short of a sudden government raid and shutdown, they are handling it quite sloppily.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm

stringtapper wrote:Hard to know exactly what Apple would do with their technology if they in fact bought them out.

Logic has needed an overhaul on some of its instruments and effects for some time now so they could certainly roll the code into their own plugs built solely for Logic. Of course then you would have a repeat of what happened when Apple bought Logic itself (discontinuing Windows support).

Apple’s first order of business should be overhauling the horrid tiny parameter UI on their legacy sound modules. It’s unbelievable they didn’t do that from 9 to X.