Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Garry Knight

Re: Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Post by Garry Knight » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Ableton Live. Absolute rubbish. :)
Garry Knight

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Airyck wrote:My computer mouse... I still have an old trackball with the scroll wheel that circles the ball, it never works right and I over-wheel everything with the mouse wheel or it doesn't work at all. I have like 3 magic mice that came with various macs, they are too small for my hand I think. I also have a magic trackpad but I can't seem to make myself learn the 3 finger drag instead of click and drag which is horrific on a trackpad.

Actually thanks for bringing this up, my mouse has been driving me nuts and I didn't even realize it. Something has to be done... anybody have a mouse they love?
I absolutely love my Logitech M570. Thumb driven wireless trackball. Molded to the contour of a right hand, so I suppose it would suck for someone who is left handed. I have one for my iMac, insisted on one at work, and am going to pick one up for my new (refurb) Macbook Pro. Nice trackball and scroll wheel action, easy on the wallet, and really good battery life -- I never even turn the thing off (though there is a switch) and I replaced the single AA battery once on the one for my iMac after about 20 months or so.

Highly recommended.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm

My computer. First of all, it's fairly old at this point, but still runs great. The issue I'm having is the damn USB ports. If I move the computer sometimes, it glitches the USB port and whatever's plugged into it. And when Live has a good connection to an audio interface, then loses it, you have to go re-set it up in Audio Preferences, sometimes unplug it altogether and wait for Live to say it's unplugged, then plug it back in and go into Audio preferences. It gets even worse when I'm rewiring Live into Studio One as I mix in Studio One. Sometimes my phone goes crazy when I plug it in as well. Getting to be about that time...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 am

One thing I've realized is that it's me more than any of my tools. But that said, any and all hosts. Has been that way for a long time.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:26 am

My nomination: TC Helicon VoiceLive, my "what the @#$% is wrong with it this time?" unit.
For guitarists it might work correctly, I don't know. But for harmonizing vocals via MIDI, it takes me 20 takes to get 1 good one, with no rhyme or reason why. Sure, I tweak things, and might imagine that's what cleared the artifacts. The next time, the same tweak will do zip. The unit seems to have a mind of its own. All I can predict is a stressful time of unforeseeable details; to me using it feels like going to the dentist.

Will the unit distort without showing on the front panel only on a fleeting 1-second readout callable in Home mode? Or add a 8th delay on the main outs that's nowhere on the headphone out? Or turn quiet breath noise into "Xcrblmnrkwht!"? And on. I have 2 VL2's, bought differently, they do the same thing. Helicon should just release a VST. Building boxes that don't annoy the daylights out of the user never seemed to be their strongest side. (The TC Helicon Quintet I owned before these was even worse.)

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:49 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm

the noise of the fan of my computer. It is hidden behind some basotect panels, it has a dampened case but being that I work a very low levels in the studio i hear it pretty much all the time.
my next computer is going to be completely fanless.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Fritz609

Post by Fritz609 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:59 pm

My Korg Trion Ex88. Not the most inuitive keyboard in the world. I've used people's fantoms, motifs, my mpc, Ableton, pro tools, and I have yet to grasp how to use this fuckingthing. All I can do is load presets. Had it for a few years and just figured out how to use it as a sequencer. not a fan of the weighted keys.(maybe because I'm not much of a keyboardist) haven't used it in 2 years.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Live is giving me tons of shit lately! Whatever version I'm on it won't let me use the computer keyboard to input midi on tracks loaded with Live instruments and every time I load a drum rack it automatically puts a convolution reverb on the track. I don't have a good internet connection right now so I'm stuck with it until I can get to some decent bandwidth.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:56 pm

my fingers while playing an instrument

:=)
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:54 pm

beats me wrote:Me. I'm the weakest link in my studio. Unfocused and easily moved to distraction. :x
i was gonna say something like this. you beat me to it.

Airyck wrote:anybody have a mouse they love?
i've been pretty happy with the magic mouse on my iMac, but i used a Logitech Marble Mouse for years and still love them. the extra buttons are cool because you can MIDI map them in Live with transport etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0008 ... 001F42MKG#

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 am

SuburbanThug wrote: every time I load a drum rack it automatically puts a convolution reverb on the track
i'd re-write your drum racks' default.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 am

H20nly wrote:i've been pretty happy with the magic mouse on my iMac
That's the first time I ever heard anyone mention an Apple mouse in a positive manner 8O

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:07 pm

It points, it scrolls, it clicks...

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I also love the Magic Mouse for its functionality, but admit its form factor is a little small and awkward. Mostly the depth is too low. Its like using a sane sized smart phone for a mouse.